Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Southern Baptist Convention leaders dropping 'Southern' from name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seanD View Post
    Owning the libs? Man, you say some of the dumbest stuff sometimes, yet you seem pretty smart.
    I'm not the one who thought this might lead to the SBC banning the Bible.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      And how does that even remotely translate to "owning the libs?" I just said I could understand in the current environment why a slippery slope might be a concern to some. That's all I said. But whatever, I didn't intend on it being this big of a deal.

Comment

How about the 'GreCo Baptists' instead of the wordy and somewhat pretentious 'Great Commission Baptists'?

Then when (one day) they combine with the Catholic Church, they could be the 'GreCo Roman Baptists', and wrestle more effectively with their consciences...
        ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          The SBC is the only major denomination I know of that was off on a liberal drift, and came back to a conservative footing.

During that process, at one annual meeting (I'm thinking it was Atlanta in 1978), there was somewhat of a battle over whether or not the Bible was the inspired Word of God.
          (it had gotten that bad)
          What really turned the tied was when one of the liberals, during a little shouting match, yelled, "But the Bible is JUST A BOOK!"

You could hear the gasps all over the convention center, then he did his best to reel back what he had said, but it was already out.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
            How about the 'GreCo Baptists' instead of the wordy and somewhat pretentious 'Great Commission Baptists'?

Then when (one day) they combine with the Catholic Church, they could be the 'GreCo Roman Baptists', and wrestle more effectively with their consciences...
            go to your room.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment