Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Spotting fake social media accounts

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Spotting fake social media accounts

    I think this goes here since social media is playing such a big part in politics these days but if not then please move it.

    I took the test at https://spotthetroll.org/ to see if I could pick out real from fake online accounts. I only got half right. Curious how well others do. Online social media manipulation is a huge problem and doesn't seem to be going away (like a miracle or otherwise).

  • #2
    Anybody who depends on social media to stay informed is low on the intelligence curve to begin with.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Anybody who depends on social media to stay informed is low on the intelligence curve to begin with.
      We all use social media to an extent I imagine. Why not take the quiz yourself and see how you do? This problem is only going to get worse until we break up big tech.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Anybody who depends on social media to stay informed is low on the intelligence curve to begin with.
        That's a good reason to better inform you, so that you don't get sucked in and elect the corrupt autocrat once again.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by LiconaFan97 View Post
          We all use social media to an extent I imagine. Why not take the quiz yourself and see how you do? This problem is only going to get worse until we break up big tech.
          I use social media to keep in touch with family and friends, and that's pretty much it. I certainly don't use it to keep informed about current events, and I'm immediately suspicious of any claim that can't be supported by a credible source -- and I mean something more than the "sources say" nonsense that gets passed off as news these days. As a natural cynic, I'm inclined to disbelieve anything that can't be supported with facts.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God


          From "Fools Gold" by Petra

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
            That's a good reason to better inform you, so that you don't get sucked in and elect the corrupt autocrat once again.
            I've told you before, I never voted for Obama.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God


            From "Fools Gold" by Petra

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              I've told you before, I never voted for Obama.
              I know, you voted for the corrupt autocrat.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by LiconaFan97 View Post
                I think this goes here since social media is playing such a big part in politics these days but if not then please move it.

                I took the test at https://spotthetroll.org/ to see if I could pick out real from fake online accounts. I only got half right. Curious how well others do. Online social media manipulation is a huge problem and doesn't seem to be going away (like a miracle or otherwise).
                I have a fake Facebook account. It's the only Facebook account I have; a false name and false photo. I wouldn't even have that except it makes it easier to sign into Youtube, Spotify and Rotten Tomatoes.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  I use social media to keep in touch with family and friends, and that's pretty much it. I certainly don't use it to keep informed about current events, and I'm immediately suspicious of any claim that can't be supported by a credible source -- and I mean something more than the "sources say" nonsense that gets passed off as news these days. As a natural cynic, I'm inclined to disbelieve anything that can't be supported with facts.
                  All that is fine. Why not take the quiz and see how you do? I won't even ask your score if you don't want to share it. I honestly just posted this to help all of us do better online, not to push any agenda. If anything I'm trying to move people more towards your stated position.
                  Last edited by LiconaFan97; 09-15-2020, 05:48 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by LiconaFan97 View Post
                    All that is fine. Why not take the quiz and see how you do? I won't even ask your score if you don't want to share it. I honestly just posted this to help all of us do better online, not to push any agenda. If anything I'm trying to move people more towards your stated position.
                    I scored 5 out of 8 because I immediately flagged every one as a troll without paying much attention to the content That's my approach to social media whenever it's somebody I don't know personally.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God


                    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by LiconaFan97 View Post
                      I think this goes here since social media is playing such a big part in politics these days but if not then please move it.

                      I took the test at https://spotthetroll.org/ to see if I could pick out real from fake online accounts. I only got half right. Curious how well others do. Online social media manipulation is a huge problem and doesn't seem to be going away (like a miracle or otherwise).
                      I am pretty sure you are one (sockpuppet). Just trying to figure out which one.

                      Proud Member of Da Blonde's Axis of Evil, Adam's Dirty Dozen, Dee Dee's Goon Squad, Tweb's In-Crowd, The Brood of Vipers & Exorcised by Ty & Dee Dee, and the only person who ever banned rogue06!

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X