Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why do some Americans believe weird things?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seer View Post
    I suspect that she is very lonely and unhappy...
    What a stupid and pathetic ad hominem.
    America - too good to let the conservatives drag it back to 1950.

Comment

• Originally posted by Electric Skeptic View Post
      Believe me, it is.
      Bigly!

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        It is always amusing watching atheists demand levels of evidence several magnitudes more stringent than they do for any other ancient texts.
        It is always amusing watching Christians imagine that atheists demand levels of evidence several magnitudes more stringent than they do for any other ancient texts.
        America - too good to let the conservatives drag it back to 1950.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
          Whenever people disagree with you CP, they all of a sudden become a troll,
          That's actually not true at all.

someone who has no interest in the (your) truth, and so you go into personal attack mode.
          "Personal attack mode"? And you're accusing H_A of arguing with no interest in the (my) truth? That's pretty much trolling, Jimmy. Besides, she pretty much admitted she was a (though, later, tried to deny it).

Obviously HA doesn't agree with your perspective on the bible. So what? Disagreement with you, expressing ones own understanding, voicing ones own opinion, doesn't make them a troll. Calling them a troll makes you one though.
          Well, gee, then you calling ME a troll makes YOU one.

Stop Saying Stupid Stuff.gif
          Last edited by Cow Poke; 09-17-2020, 10:18 PM.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            That's actually not true at all.
            Yep, true. Troll, troll, troll, everyone whose argument you can't handle becomes a troll.

"Personal attack mode"? And you're accusing H_A of arguing with no interest in the (my) truth? That's pretty much trolling, Jimmy. Besides, she pretty much admitted she was a (though, later, tried to deny it).
            No, you misread what I wrote. Took it out of context. I didn't accuse her of having no interests in your view. What I said is that's how you see it when people disagree with you. You affirmed that yourself when you accused HA of only being here to argue, rather than to, I assume, learn the truth from you.

Well, gee, then you calling ME a troll makes YOU one.
            No, I'm calling you a troll because you weren't discussing the issue at all, you were just attacking her personally.
            Last edited by JimL; 09-17-2020, 11:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
              There are some historically attested personages in Acts as there are real places. However, that likewise applies to War and Peace or Les Miserables, although the actual existence of Jean Valjean or Pierre Bezukhov is another matter. That does not imply that I am suggesting Paul is a literary construct, yet the work we know as Acts of the Apostles does read rather like an ancient Hellenistic Roman novel with lots of melodrama, a main protagonist/hero and his adventures, and clearly delineated goodies and baddies. Saul/Paul starts off as a baddie but quickly becomes a goody.

Hence as with Hugo or Tolstoy the provision of real settings and events in which protagonists are placed and the background details can be established as factual, that does not necessarily imply that the rest of the narrative is equally veracious.

It seems possible that some contemporary Jews had a less than flattering view of Paul.
              One of the many problems with your analogy is that in the case of Acts, Luke was writing to folks who were at the least familiar with Paul. Many would have known him. So if you start writing B.S. about him they would be saying "hold on a minute. He never said anything like that." It'd be like writing a biography about Obama and claiming that he personally led the raid on bin Laden. Folks familiar with the event would immediately call out things like that and the book itself would soon be discredited rather than universally accepted as a true, authoritative account.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Wow, that's POWERFUL!!!! I'm sold!!!
                As pointed out several pages back, in Hebrew, biblical and rabbinic, the term bethulah can indicate virgo intacta. The Pentateuch thus describes Rebecca as a very pretty girl, a virgin whom no man has known. The rabbis also explain that a virgin is a woman who has never had sexual intercourse. However,, another well-established usage of bethulah associates virginity, not with the absence of any sexual experience, but with an inability to conceive. A virgin is a girl who has not yet attained puberty. This sort of “virginity” ends, not with intercourse, but with menstruation.

The evidence shows It was possible for a girl to marry and cohabit with her husband before reaching puberty. In fact, it appears to have happened often enough to give rise to a dispute between the two leading rabbinic schools of the 1st century CE, on the subject of whether a bloodstain on the wedding night of a minor [i.e. a virgin in respect of menstruation] should be attributed to the rupture of the hymen or to her first period.

A further result of such a state of affairs was that a girl could conceive while still a “virgin” in respect of menstruation, i.e. at the moment of her first ovulation. She could thus become a “virgin mother” of several children.
                "It ain't necessarily so
                The things that you're liable
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life
                Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                  . HA though is a self admitted troll
                  You are free to find my exact words admitting as much. Otherwise, I assume you have the probity to admit your error.

What some of you clearly do not like is having your preconceived beliefs. many of which are put forward as if they are attested historical facts, being challenged. I did not introduce the topic of a virgin birth to this thread. Rogue06 has acknowledged that s/he did.
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Electric Skeptic View Post
                    What a stupid and pathetic ad hominem.
                    Like she never ascribed motives to me? Get with the program ES...
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Because you're a
                      From Wiki:

In Internet slang, a troll is a person who starts flame wars or intentionally upsets people on the Internet by posting inflammatory and digressive,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses[2] and normalizing tangential discussion,[3] either for the troll's amusement or a specific gain. [My emphasis].

I would suggest that definition might be applied to various individuals that I have come across on these boards.

Denigrating remarks about my alleged private life made on this thread by seer that "Probably because she didn't have a husband to train her right" and that I am "lonely and unhappy". On another thread Gondwanaland has compared me to a serial-killer with this remark“creepy serial killer-esque records of everything other people post”. Individuals making ad hominem remarks by adapting crude language. E.g. BilltheCat calling JimL an "asshat".

Making false accusations with the intent to antagonise. Both yourself, Gondwanaland, have repeatedly accused me of being a "troll", of having “already admitted it”, with no evidence from me to support your accusations. and now Littlejoe is making the same unsubstantiated accusation that I am a "self admitted troll". Gondwanaland has alleged I have made “multiple historical gaffes.” without an iota of evidence to support that allegation. However, it should be noted that Gondwanaland regularly got banned for abusive and/or offensive language in "the other place".

I recommend some of you look to the beam in your own eyes before criticising others for the mote in theirs.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      You don't believe the Bible is the inspired word of God
                      It isn’t. If you believe that God inspired the original words the fact remains we do not have those original words. They are lost to history. One might suggest that if this deity wanted to have Its original words preserved in perpetuity it did not utilise its miraculous powers in order bring that about.

- you have no real interest in the topic other than picking fights.
                      If you want this to be a site where there are no challenges to certain Christian beliefs I recommend you make it a closed site open only to those of predefined Christian religious denominations. That way you can effectively vet all those who register and eliminate all the "undesirables".

However, as long as this is an open site you are going get members who do not share the unquestioning beliefs that many who post here hold.
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Like she never ascribed motives to me? Get with the program ES...
                        Quote me.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

"Personal attack mode"? And you're accusing H_A of arguing with no interest in the (my) truth?
                          Your "truth" as you term it is not necessarily historically attested fact. I have no objection to you believing what you like, but when Christians start telling me that the virgin birth or the resurrection are historical facts, I will challenge their comments.

Besides, she pretty much admitted she was a (though, later, tried to deny it).
                          Once again you are making an unsubstantiated personal remark. That you and two others [whom I know from elsewhere] misinterpreted what I wrote does not make your collective interpretation an attested fact.

I note the alacrity of many here to point out unsubstantiated accusations and/or lack of evidence when it comes to subjects they hold dear but at the same time are more than willing to make equally unsubstantiated remarks without an iota of evidence to support those remarks when it suits their purposes.

There is a word for that.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Quote me.
                            Like calling me an armchair soldier when you knew no such thing?
                            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Like calling me an armchair soldier when you knew no such thing?
                              I cannot find my direct quote using the phrase "armchair soldier". Do you have it?

Furthermore, my observation on your support for citizens taking the law into their own hands was premised on your comments, given that you appeared to positively relish such behaviours.

I made no personal remarks about your private life suggesting that you are "lonely and unhappy" or that you require a partner to "train" you.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I cannot find my direct quote using the phrase "armchair soldier". Do you have it?

Furthermore, my observation on your support for citizens taking the law into their own hands was premised on your comments, given that you appeared to positively relish such behaviours.

I made no personal remarks about your private life suggesting that you are "lonely and unhappy" or that you require a partner to "train" you.
                                Calling me an arm chair soldier is clearly a personal attack so don't be a hypocrite or pretend you didn't say it.

Comment