Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why do some Americans believe weird things?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

The original Hebrew texts, the Septuagint, and the original gospels were not written in English. You are relying on a translation and translations by their very definition are interpretations.
    HA! Little do you know.

I mean everyone knows that everyone back then spoke Early Modern English, specifically what is known as "Jacobean" although many erroneously think it was "Elizabethan" (after all, it is the King JAMES Bible, not the Queen Elizabeth Bible )

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Scripture Verse: Luke 1:35

And the angel answered her, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to be born will be called holy—the Son of God.

© Copyright Original Source

Indeed. Though I do not believe that implies any sort of physical sexual act was involved. Do you?
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        Indeed. Though I do not believe that implies any sort of physical sexual act was involved. Do you?
        Absolutely not, since God is Spirit, and the Holy Ghost is Spirit.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          HA! Little do you know.

I mean everyone knows that everyone back then spoke Early Modern English, specifically what is known as "Jacobean" although many erroneously think it was "Elizabethan" (after all, it is the King JAMES Bible, not the Queen Elizabeth Bible )
          And everybody knows that Jesus was 6' tall, blonde hair, blue eyes and spoke with a British accent.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Absolutely not, since God is Spirit, and the Holy Ghost is Spirit.

Just wanted to make sure
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Christian teaching is that God took on human form in Christ, so in a sense the 'Son' can be 'separated' from the godhead. Yet Christ says that "I and the Father are one", which means that even while 'separated' they were still 'one' - and thus not 'really' separated in the sense you imply. This is the mystery of the Trinity, the idea that God is Three, you fully just One.

I doubt very much there was any physical form used to cause the immaculate conception. A minimum set of conclusions assuming a normal gestation would be that the zygote would have simply been created and follow the natural process from there. To meet the scriptural criteria, the source DNA would be 1/2 from Mary, 1/2 something human but not from any human alive on earth at the time which was designed and made by God to be the Christ. But as MM said, there is no official speculation or teaching as to 'how' this came to be. It was simply a miracle.
              Good to see you defending the faith again Jim...
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

And everybody knows that Jesus was 6' tall, blonde hair, blue eyes and spoke with a British accent.
                "And did those feet in ancient times walk upon England's mountain green ..."

jesus.jpg

Steve Balsamo is a great singer though.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                  Good to see you defending the faith again Jim...
                  thanks ... truly.

but it is a little awkward because, AFAIK, I have never stopped

Comment

Wait a minute! That can't be right. I remember a film called "The Burning Hell" back in the 1970s with John R. Rice and Jack Hyles. God and Father Abraham both had a strong southern accent. I think Jesus did also.

I remember when my church showed it. I suggested they turn the heat all the way up so that we could watch it in Sensurround (C).
                    When I Survey....

Comment

thanks ... truly.

but it is a little awkward because, AFAIK, I have never stopped
                      Let's just say you have been a bit distracted of late...
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• Originally posted by Faber View Post
                        Wait a minute! God and Father Abraham both had a strong southern accent. I think Jesus did also.
                        You mean they didn't?

Comment

• Originally posted by Faber View Post
                          Wait a minute! That can't be right. I remember a film called "The Burning Hell" back in the 1970s with John R. Rice and Jack Hyles. God and Father Abraham both had a strong southern accent. I think Jesus did also.

I remember when my church showed it. I suggested they turn the heat all the way up so that we could watch it in Sensurround (C).
                          Ah, Jack Hyles ---- I attended a Youth Worker conference at his Church WAY back in the... um.... early 70's, I believe! Hyles Anderson College was BRAND NEW!

The Sword of the Lord!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            HA! Little do you know.

If the King James Bible was good enough for Jesus and the apostles then it's good enough for me.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              If the King James Bible was good enough for Jesus and the apostles then it's good enough for me.
                              Gimme that King James version,
                              It's good enough for me!

It was good for Paul and Silas,
                              It was...

Comment

Ah, Jack Hyles ---- I attended a Youth Worker conference at his Church WAY back in the... um.... early 70's, I believe! Hyles Anderson College was BRAND NEW!

The Sword of the Lord!!!
                                I took my wife and kids to the second National Sword Conference on Revival and Soul Winning at Cobo Hall in Detroit in 1977. Were you there by any chance?
                                When I Survey....

Comment