Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why do some Americans believe weird things?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
    It's not about the action, it's about the motivation.

What is your motivation to continually seek out and denigrate "some" Americans? And some/all Christians?
    Not all Christians.

However, that a country as technologically advanced as the USA has, among its population, swathes of individuals [some of whom allege they are Christians] who believe in demons, international cabals of paedophile cannibals attempting to overthrow the country, or that vaccinations are being prepared to reduce religious belief, should be of concern to anyone who values rational objectivity over irrational appeals to prejudice and bigotry.

This paradox that some Americans can embrace everything modern science and technology can provide, yet at the same time believe positively medieval superstitions has been an object of bemusement to many Europeans for some time.
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I believe in drinking blood, eating flesh, and dead people coming back to life.

Are you Catholic?
      "It ain't necessarily so
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
        What law of logic supports believing in the supernatural? Please be specific. You believe in these forces therefore I assume you have some logical basis for your beliefs.
        Nope, you don't get to turn it around. Again, what law of logic does believing in God or a spiritual world violate? Be specific please.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          Nope, you don't get to turn it around. Again, what law of logic does believing in God or a spiritual world violate? Be specific please.
          You are the one who considers it to be perfectly rational to believe in demons. Kindly explain your reasons.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Light/good/justice always prevails. It is the basis of every folk tale I can think of. Your belief therefore holds that your side will win. Wherein lies the problem?

Why do you need to be your deity's law enforcement agents? Can this deity not do that for itself?
            I have no idea what your point is. What is the problem with creating creatures that are free - free to do good or evil?

There is a saying, if you cannot beat them, join them. It is also good to hold up the mirror to smug complacency.
            I'm glad you recognize your smug complacency...
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

You are the one who considers it to be perfectly rational to believe in demons. Kindly explain your reasons.
              I said nothing about whether it was rational or not, stop fibbing. And stop avoiding the question: Again, what law of logic does believing in God or a spiritual world violate? Be specific please.

Comment

I said nothing about whether it was rational or not, stop fibbing. And stop avoiding the question: Again, what law of logic does believing in God or a spiritual world violate? Be specific please.
                You wrote "Well I would say that the majority of Christians, here and in the rest of the world, believe in some degree of demonic influence."

When I asked "Why and on what basis?" You replied "The teachings of Christ and the New Testament in general. We are Christian after all"

So, what is the rational basis for your belief in demonic influence?
                "It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  I believe in drinking blood, eating flesh, and dead people coming back to life.
                  Me too. Along with things like virgin birth.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

You wrote "Well I would say that the majority of Christians, here and in the rest of the world, believe in some degree of demonic influence."

When I asked "Why and on what basis?" You replied "The teachings of Christ and the New Testament in general. We are Christian after all"

So, what is the rational basis for your belief in demonic influence?
                    I said nothing about rational or non-rational - YOU did, now justify the claim. What law of logic does believing in God or a spiritual world violate? Be specific please.

Comment

I said nothing about rational or non-rational - YOU did, now justify the claim. What law of logic does believing in God or a spiritual world violate? Be specific please.
                      I wrote "Only weird Americans and those who rely on the comforts of unreason" In reference to those who believe the things cited in the article.

Now if you want to take that up you will need to provide an explanation as to why you [you mentioned demonic influence as part of your belief] and those mentioned in the article are not relying on the comforts of unreason.

I am quite sure many rational individuals who believe in a deity of some kind do not automatically believe in demonic influences that can "take control of places and institutions, such as journalism, academia, and both municipal and federal bureaucracies or perceive "demons as central actors in world politics and everyday life. "

However, religious belief per se is not the topic of this thread.
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Me too. Along with things like virgin birth.
                        Of course the question is, what did "virgin" mean to first century Judaism?
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I have no idea what your point is. What is the problem with creating creatures that are free - free to do good or evil?
                          What has that to do with folklore?
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

What has that to do with folklore?
                            I have no idea what your question actually is - do you even know?

Comment

I wrote "Only weird Americans and those who rely on the comforts of unreason" In reference to those who believe the things cited in the article.

Now if you want to take that up you will need to provide an explanation as to why you [you mentioned demonic influence as part of your belief] and those mentioned in the article are not relying on the comforts of unreason.

I am quite sure many rational individuals who believe in a deity of some kind do not automatically believe in demonic influences that can "take control of places and institutions, such as journalism, academia, and both municipal and federal bureaucracies or perceive "demons as central actors in world politics and everyday life. "

However, religious belief per se is not the topic of this thread.
                              You are again trying to turn the argument around. Again most Christians believe in degrees of demonic influence, to you that is not rational - you said so, so stop avoiding the question or admit you can not answer it: What law of logic does believing in God or a spiritual world violate? Be specific please.

Comment

Of course the question is, what did "virgin" mean to first century Judaism?
                                We know what it means in the New Testament concerning Mary.

Comment