Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Climate change denier appointed head of NOAA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Climate change denier appointed head of NOAA

What an idiot (both of them):

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...sr-pkg-vpx.cnn

Source: above

David Legates, a longtime climate change skeptic, has been appointed by the Trump administration to help run the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the federal agency charged with producing "much of the climate research funded" by the government, The Washington Post reports.

© Copyright Original Source

Trump is an absolute disaster for science and the environment.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    What an idiot (both of them):

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...sr-pkg-vpx.cnn

David Legates, a longtime climate change skeptic, has been appointed by the Trump administration to help run the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the federal agency charged with producing "much of the climate research funded" by the government, The Washington Post reports.

Trump is an absolute disaster for science and the environment.
    A 'climate science denier'. Interesting slur there.

Especially considering that he is a climatologist, who has stated that humans have an impact on the world's climate, and has stated that he expects human-caused warming to happen.

But, because he does not bow and scrape to a few extremist loons and their doomsday predictions, and has a much more conservative opinion of how much warming will occur, magically he is a 'climate science denier', no matter how little sense that assertion/slur makes.

Comment

"Trust the experts! Oh, but not those experts..."
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Don't you know that climate change caused the fires in California?

It happened because the climate change led people in California to vote for Democrats. Then the Democrats failed to do brush removal and other protect measures. So when fires started to burn, they had so much fuel that they have spread far and are difficult to put out.

Science was able to predict this effect of global warming.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
          A 'climate science denier'. Interesting slur there.

Especially considering that he is a climatologist, who has stated that humans have an impact on the world's climate, and has stated that he expects human-caused warming to happen.

But, because he does not bow and scrape to a few extremist loons and their doomsday predictions, and has a much more conservative opinion of how much warming will occur, magically he is a 'climate science denier', no matter how little sense that assertion/slur makes.
          Source: wikipedia:

Legates has published research papers, opinion editorials, and spoken openly in opposition to the consensus scientific opinion on climate change. More recently, he has been known for his skepticism toward the anthropogenic cause of the observed global warming patterns and the severity of its consequences at the local geographical scale.[5]

Legates is a signer of the Oregon Petition, which stated: "There is no convincing scientific evidence that human release of carbon dioxide, methane, or other greenhouse gasses is causing or will, in the foreseeable future, cause catastrophic heating of the Earth's atmosphere and disruption of the Earth's climate. Moreover, there is substantial scientific evidence that increases in atmospheric carbon dioxide produce many beneficial effects upon the natural plant and animal environments of the Earth".[13]

My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
            Don't you know that climate change caused the fires in California?

It happened because the climate change led people in California to vote for Democrats. Then the Democrats failed to do brush removal and other protect measures. So when fires started to burn, they had so much fuel that they have spread far and are difficult to put out.

Science was able to predict this effect of global warming.
            climate change made more likely the conditions that have enabled the fires.

Comment

It's not impossible that's the cause, but if it's an unusual problem in California then there's no reason to think that. There's every reason to think the fires are a problem because of liberal policy about environmentalism in California. We also don't know how much of this is arson. But you're just so quick to scream climate change because it's politically convenient to do so.
              Last edited by seanD; 09-14-2020, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                "Trust the experts! Oh, but not those experts..."
                in a way, yes. In any population you have rogue elements motivated by who knows what that just want to go their own way in spite of the fact there is no good reason to do so. Halton Arp is just such a person in the astronomical community. Did some good work in the past but has some sort of ideological objection to the idea of an expanding universe and has gone totally off any reasonable data driven conclusion to try to prove himself correct. Legates is such a person wrt climate science - though not nearly as stellar a mind as Arp. But to the point, these sorts of off the rails folks with credentials are not the sorts of people you put in charge of government science agencies.

Comment

haha. For a moment, I thought you were serious. Can I use that on my comedy show?

This is one of the craziest things the media tries to pull over on us. Maybe if the temperature had gone up 50 degree F, then they could start to say that with a straight face.

What is the science that supports a zero degree increase in temperature leads to more brush fires?

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                    It's not impossible that's the cause, but if it's an unusual problem in California then there's no reason to think that. There's every reason to think the fires are a problem because of liberal policy about environmentalism in California. We also don't know how much of this is arson. But you're just so quick to scream climate change because it's politically convenient to do so.
                    I'm not 'screaming climate change'. Indeed, if you had understood what I said you'd understand I'm saying that it would in fact be hard to directly tie climate change to the fires themselves. But climate change can be tied to the increased heat and drought that have made such fires more likely, more intense.
                    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 09-14-2020, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Source: wikipedia:

Legates has published research papers, opinion editorials, and spoken openly in opposition to the consensus scientific opinion on climate change. More recently, he has been known for his skepticism toward the anthropogenic cause of the observed global warming patterns and the severity of its consequences at the local geographical scale.[5]

Legates is a signer of the Oregon Petition, which stated: "There is no convincing scientific evidence that human release of carbon dioxide, methane, or other greenhouse gasses is causing or will, in the foreseeable future, cause catastrophic heating of the Earth's atmosphere and disruption of the Earth's climate. Moreover, there is substantial scientific evidence that increases in atmospheric carbon dioxide produce many beneficial effects upon the natural plant and animal environments of the Earth".[13]

Your same source:
                      Legates' viewpoint, as stated in a 2015 study that he co-authored, is that the Earth will experience about 1.0 °C (1.8 °F) warming over the 2000 to 2100 period.
                      In his lectures, Legates has acknowledged that humans have a direct impact on the environment. However he has disputed large scale climatological studies where he claims that researchers fail to incorporate sufficient data involving increased solar activity, water vapor as a greenhouse gas, data contamination through expansion of the urban heat island effect surrounding data collection points, and many other key variables in addition to the human chemical emissions that are the sole focus of many climatological studies
                      So, again, he is a professional climatologist (and thus well qualified for the position). He holds that humans do have an effect on climate, and predicts there will be some warming due to that. But because he doesn't embrace the teachings of the CAGWers and their doomsday predictions, he's magically a 'climate denier'. You people make me chuckle - you're literally a cult.

Comment

I'm not 'screaming climate change' If you understood what I said you'd understand I'm saying it would be hard to directly tie climate change to the fires themselves. But climate change can be tied to the increased heat and drought that have made such fires more likely, more intense.
                        But why would you readily go to a theoretical cause when we know there are environmental issues in California that would have made the issue less severe? You go right to a more complex issue -- climate change, instead of the simpler issue -- California environmental laws. Well, we know why, because climate change is politically convenient to blame on any crisis, whether it's the cause or not.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                          haha. For a moment, I thought you were serious. Can I use that on my comedy show?

This is one of the craziest things the media tries to pull over on us. Maybe if the temperature had gone up 50 degree F, then they could start to say that with a straight face.

What is the science that supports a zero degree increase in temperature leads to more brush fires?

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley....2/2016GL072027

The recent multiyear drought over California was characterized by large precipitation deficits and abnormally high temperatures during both wet and dry seasons. This study investigates and quantifies the contributions of precipitation and temperature anomalies to the development of the multiyear drought with a set of modeling experiments where the anomalies are either removed or randomly replaced with other historical observations. The study reveals that precipitation deficits have been largely responsible for producing the extreme agricultural drought (i.e., large soil moisture deficits) while warmer temperatures have only marginally intensified the drought. However, the warmer temperatures over the high‐elevation areas during the wet season have contributed equally or more than the precipitation deficits to the reduction of snowpack. The interplay between temperature and precipitation anomalies in space and time also appears to be important for the drought development

For a more detailed discussion of the specific impacts of climate change on california:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...KtycDDGKSOWwo7

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
                            Your same source:

So, again, he is a professional climatologist (and thus well qualified for the position). He holds that humans do have an effect on climate, and predicts there will be some warming due to that. But because he doesn't embrace the teachings of the CAGWers and their doomsday predictions, he's magically a 'climate denier'. You people make me chuckle - you're literally a cult.
                            That would be a 'lets support Trump at any cost to science' characterization of Legates. He is not following the data but is clearly driven ideologically (or perhaps financially) to play down the consensus on climate change. As such he is not qualified to head NOAA.

Comment

I'm not in a good mood right at the moment considering that I'm sitting in smoke from the fires in Cali, so just a brief note: California blew it big time in not maintaining fire breaks and doing other foresty stuff that would have mitigated the ferocity of those fires whether caused by arson, gender reveal parties, OR lightning strikes. Never mind how dry or wet we get, those management thingies environment lovers hate so much would have made a BIG difference.

I don't know about the others states, so.
                              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment