Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump campaign cancelling TV ads in battleground states

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    Your analogy doesn't work. Trump isn't a Libertarian, and Rogan is by far not a fan of Trump's. Maddow on the other hand is blatantly for Biden and against Trump. Rogan is a centrist, and the only valid replacement would be another centrist, not any hyper-liberal.
    Joe Rogan endorsed Bernie Sanders. Sanders endorsed Biden.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Have you ever actually listened to him? It might say "comedian" on his resume, but he's very well informed and politically savvy and regularly catches his guests off-guard with his very insightful and probing questions. If he hosted a debate, he would be hard on both candidates.

If anything, Joe Rogan is the serious journalist, and Rachael Maddow is the comedian.
      As I mentioned I have a lot of respect for comedians and think they are generally pretty smart and insightful.

I have heard some of his stand up. I haven't listened to his podcast. I doubt I could post some of the things he's said on here without getting moderated which is a pretty good indication that he's not the right person to moderate a presidential debate.

Comment

Originally posted by LiconaFan97 View Post
        As I mentioned I have a lot of respect for comedians and think they are generally pretty smart and insightful.

I have heard some of his stand up. I haven't listened to his podcast. I doubt I could post some of the things he's said on here without getting moderated which is a pretty good indication that he's not the right person to moderate a presidential debate.
        Rogan's a smart guy; smart enough to know when he's got to rein it in and be more formal than he typically is. The problem for the democrats is social media. Normally, you'd want the most amount of people tuning in to see what your policies are and how you handle yourself under pressure. But in this case, if your the democratic establishment that endorses Biden, you definitely don't want to get social media into a tizzy and young folks tuning in to watch Biden's cognitive decline.
        Last edited by seanD; 09-15-2020, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
          Rogan's a smart guy; smart enough to know when he's got to reign it in and be more formal than he typically is. The problem for the democrats is social media. Normally, you'd want the most amount of people tuning in to see what your policies are and how you handle yourself under pressure. But in this case, if your the democratic establishment that endorses Biden, you definitely don't want to get social media into a tizzy and young folks tuning in to watch Biden's cognitive decline.
          Biden got higher ratings for his acceptance speech than Trump did and by a good margin. The DNC got higher ratings that the RNC did every night. No one on stage during the DNC was clearly coked out of their mind (Don Jr.). According to reports Trump isn't even doing debate prep. Whether you think he's faster on his feet than Biden that's beyond foolhardy.

Where are you getting the idea that the democrats want to hide everything?

Comment

Biden got higher ratings for his acceptance speech than Trump did and by a good margin. The DNC got higher ratings that the RNC did every night. No one on stage during the DNC was clearly coked out of their mind (Don Jr.). According to reports Trump isn't even doing debate prep. Whether you think he's faster on his feet than Biden that's beyond foolhardy.

Where are you getting the idea that the democrats want to hide everything?
            Case in point, because they'd never do a debate like this.

Comment

Case in point, because they'd never do a debate like this.
              Again, if Biden set up the same thing with Maddow you wouldn't blink if Trump didn't participate. A little consistency would be nice.

Comment

Again, if Biden set up the same thing with Maddow you wouldn't blink if Trump didn't participate. A little consistency would be nice.
                So you just want to troll at this point. Carry on.

Comment

So you just want to troll at this point. Carry on.
                  How is it trolling to point out that a presidential candidate is under no obligation to participate in a debate which departs so wildly from prior formats and convention and is hosted by a racist transphobic misogynist? I wouldn't count it against Trump if he chose not to participate in a non-standard debate either even if it were moderated by someone we all agreed was manifestly qualified.

Comment

Even if you don't respect her at least she's a journalist and not "just" a comedian (I tend to think comedians are generally pretty insightful and sharp).

But let's replace her with Shep Smith or Chris Wallace. Would it really surprise you if Trump declined a four hour debate moderated by them? Your laughing smilies are just proving my point.

She isn't a journalist. She is a political commentator. A talking head.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      She isn't a journalist. She is a political commentator. A talking head.
                      I chose her name intentionally because I knew it would drive you guys into a frenzy. Now you understand why it's absurd to claim that Biden declining to have Rogan moderate is indicative of anything meaningful.

Comment

How is it trolling to point out that a presidential candidate is under no obligation to participate in a debate which departs so wildly from prior formats and convention and is hosted by a racist transphobic misogynist? I wouldn't count it against Trump if he chose not to participate in a non-standard debate either even if it were moderated by someone we all agreed was manifestly qualified.
                        That you get your talking points from networks like The View explains a lot about your own warped politics. This would be the very desperation smokes screen I would expect from the left to prevent this from happening at all costs.

Comment

Rogan's history of smoking pot during interviews and heavily using profanity as part of his shtick does not suggest to me that he would be a good choice. I think he would do his best to be neutral, but there's a serious opportunity for disaster.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            Rogan's history of smoking pot during interviews and heavily using profanity as part of his shtick does not suggest to me that he would be a good choice. I think he would do his best to be neutral, but there's a serious opportunity for disaster.
                            He interviewed Sanders and Gabbard, and he didn't behave like that. He behaves different ways depending on the guest. Sometimes they're more formal than others, which is probably why he has a large fanbase.

Comment

I chose her name intentionally because I knew it would drive you guys into a frenzy. Now you understand why it's absurd to claim that Biden declining to have Rogan moderate is indicative of anything meaningful.
                              I didn't say a thing about Rogan. You have been complaining he isn't qualified because he is just a comedian. He is also a TV Host (he hosted Fear Factor)

Then you claimed Maddow was qualified because she is a journalist. She isn't. She just comments on politics. Dramatically.

As far as qualifications go, they are about the same. Talking heads. Their politics are way different though. Rogan is more center. I think it would be good to have a neutral party or a centrist do the questions. No favoritism.
                              Last edited by Sparko; 09-15-2020, 02:21 PM.

Comment

That you get your talking points from networks like The View explains a lot about your own warped politics. This would be the very desperation smokes screen I would expect from the left to prevent this from happening at all costs.
                                I don't watch The View. I saw enough of his stand up to know that he's not someone qualified to moderate a presidential debate. I don't believe any joke should be off limits but I don't think there is anything wrong with making comedians live with their words either (with some allowance. Rogan's words were so ridiculously over the line though).

Comment