Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Unity2020?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unity2020?

Good Idea? Could it fly? Maybe not in this cycle, but...

Candidates

The Unity2020 leading ticket is Tulsi Gabbard and Dan Crenshaw.

Unity2020 is a plan to draft a pair of courageous and capable patriots to form a co-Presidency, with one member from the left and one member from the right. Our plan requires that our candidates agree to govern as a team, with the titles of President and Vice President determined by a coin flip.

This is a draft in the traditional sense of the word. Instead of partisan candidates lobbying for our votes, we are calling upon our draft candidates to step up in service of our nation. At the time of writing, our candidates do not have an active 2020 presidential campaign. For this draft and our ballot access plan to work, we, the public, need to rally behind the Unity2020 ticket and make our voices heard.

https://articlesofunity.org/candidates/
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Considering the way that politics in the US is setup with a "winner takes all" approach to elections, I see little chance of this flying.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

Candidates

Unity2020 is a plan to draft a pair of courageous and capable patriots to form a co-Presidency, with one member from the left and one member from the right. Our plan requires that our candidates agree to govern as a team, with the titles of President and Vice President determined by a coin flip.

This is a draft in the traditional sense of the word. Instead of partisan candidates lobbying for our votes, we are calling upon our draft candidates to step up in service of our nation. At the time of writing, our candidates do not have an active 2020 presidential campaign. For this draft and our ballot access plan to work, we, the public, need to rally behind the Unity2020 ticket and make our voices heard.

I'd vote it. Usually I go libertarian but the latest party leadership is a joke and pulling the party toward BLM garbage. I was thinking of writing in Justin Amash but I could definitely go Tulsi/Crenshaw.

Comment

It would get far more support from Republicans than Democrats. The left hates Gabbard because they think she's a Putin puppet.

Comment

Why does anybody think Crenshaw would agree to it?
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
            It would get far more support from Republicans than Democrats. The left hates Gabbard because they think she's a Putin puppet.
            I like the general idea though...I think you could draw a lot of Independents...
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

I like the general idea though...I think you could draw a lot of Independents...
              They should just on the republican ticket 2024 in that case. Splitting votes can be dangerous business.

Comment

Sounds good in theory, but how would it really work in practice? Regardless of whatever handshake pledge they make to each other, one of them would still end up being president with far more power than the other.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Candidates

I don't believe Crenshaw is eligible. He was born in England.

CORRECTION: Scotland, born to American citizens. Still - is he eligible?
                  Last edited by Ronson; 09-14-2020, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

He was born born to American parents...Like John McCain who wasn't born in the US.

Comment

He was born born to American parents...Like John McCain who wasn't born in the US.
                      There was some controversy surrounding McCain too, IIRC.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/natural_born_citizen

The phrase "natural-born citizen" appears in the U.S. Constitution. In order to become the President or Vice President of the United States, a person must be a natural-born citizen. This "Natural-Born Citizen Clause" is located in Section 1 of Article 2 of the United States Constitution.

The constitution does not expressly define “natural born” nor has the Supreme Court ever ruled precisely upon its meaning. One can be a citizen while not being a "natural born" citizen if, for example, that person gained citizenship through the process of naturalization.

Comment

They stole that idea from me and rogue06. We are running as co-presidents!

Rogue-Sparko-POTUS.jpg

Our other slogan is:

BAGA.jpg

Comment

There was some controversy surrounding McCain too, IIRC.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/natural_born_citizen

The phrase "natural-born citizen" appears in the U.S. Constitution. In order to become the President or Vice President of the United States, a person must be a natural-born citizen. This "Natural-Born Citizen Clause" is located in Section 1 of Article 2 of the United States Constitution.

The constitution does not expressly define “natural born” nor has the Supreme Court ever ruled precisely upon its meaning. One can be a citizen while not being a "natural born" citizen if, for example, that person gained citizenship through the process of naturalization.
                          The New York Times ran several articles and opinion pieces questioning McCain's eligibility right up to when people started questioning whether or not Obama was qualified. At that point "birtherism" was no longer cool any more and became the province of nutjobs

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            The New York Times ran several articles and opinion pieces questioning McCain's eligibility right up to when people started questioning whether or not Obama was qualified. At that point "birtherism" was no longer cool any more and became the province of nutjobs
                            That wouldn't stop opponents from challenging it in court (assuming there was any chance they would win). It seems the debate was never completely exhausted, and probably never will be until the SCOTUS defines "natural-born citizen."

Comment

Was he born on a US Military Base?
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment