Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Republican ad associating Biden with the KKK.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Republican ad associating Biden with the KKK.

Source: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/06/14/fact-check-biden-isnt-kkk-grand-wizard-photo/3183887001/

The claim: Joe Biden and a grand wizard of the KKK were photographed together
    A photo circulating on Facebook and Instagram claims to depict former Vice President Joe Biden with a grand wizard of the KKK.

This slanderous accusation was the basis of many Republican TV ads.

“Biden with Grand wizard Of KKK. So who again is playing you, lying to you, using you for the votes, Creators of the KKK, opposed civil right of blacks. Yup that’s the Democratic party,” the text above the image reads.

The image, posted to Facebook on June 27, 2019, but garnering attention anew online shows Biden, the presumptive Democratic nominee for president, holding hands with then-Sen. Robert Byrd, D-W.Va., who is circled in red as the alleged KKK grand wizard.

The user who shared the post did not respond to a USA TODAY request for comment.

Byrd was not a KKK grand wizard — but he did once lead a chapter. This picture of Biden and Byrd was taken by the Associated Press in October 2008 at a campaign rally in Charleston, West Virginia, during the time that Biden was running for vice president alongside then-Sen. Barack Obama.

© Copyright Original Source

I lived in West Virginia and met Robert Byrd. He is a fine upstanding gentleman that took the heat supporting Civil Rights legislation when the South was stonewalling trying to prevent it. When he was young he joined the KKK and later resigned and apologized. The slanderous low blow Republican ad obviously did not tell the whole story.

He was a very easy person to make and a good old boy mountaineer and he plays a mean country fiddle.

In fact I have not found a Republican ad the did not fudge the truth or down right lie.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Source: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/06/14/fact-check-biden-isnt-kkk-grand-wizard-photo/3183887001/

A photo circulating on Facebook and Instagram claims to depict former Vice President Joe Biden with a grand wizard of the KKK.

“Biden with Grand wizard Of KKK. So who again is playing you, lying to you, using you for the votes, Creators of the KKK, opposed civil right of blacks. Yup that’s the Democratic party,” the text above the image reads.

The image, posted to Facebook on June 27, 2019, but garnering attention anew online shows Biden, the presumptive Democratic nominee for president, holding hands with then-Sen. Robert Byrd, D-W.Va., who is circled in red as the alleged KKK grand wizard.

The user who shared the post did not respond to a USA TODAY request for comment.

Byrd was not a KKK grand wizard — but he did once lead a chapter. This picture of Biden and Byrd was taken by the Associated Press in October 2008 at a campaign rally in Charleston, West Virginia, during the time that Biden was running for vice president alongside then-Sen. Barack Obama.

I lived in West Virginia and met Robert Byrd. He is a fine upstanding gentleman that took the heat supporting Civil Rights legislation when the South was stonewalling trying to prevent it. When he was young he joined the KKK and later resigned and apologized. The slanderous low blow Republican ad obviously did not tell the whole story.

He was a very easy person to make and a good old boy mountaineer and he plays a mean country fiddle.

In fact I have not found a Republican ad the did not fudge the truth or down right lie.
    Wow, do you really want to open up this can of worms?

I don't know about KKK associations, but the fact is Biden worked directly with white supremacist dixiecrats (I mean the REAL southern white supremacists, not the mythical leftist boogiemen of today) to oppose black desegregation. The fact that history alone is not an indictment against Biden under the current volatile environment of racism and BLM just shows how sickeningly and utter phony and void of any principle the political left is.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

I don't know about KKK associations, but the fact is Biden worked directly with white supremacist dixiecrats (I mean the REAL southern white supremacists, not the mythical leftist boogiemen of today) to oppose black desegregation. The fact that history alone is not an indictment against Biden under the current volatile environment of racism and BLM just shows how sickeningly and utter phony and void of any principle the political left is.
      No can of worms, the above is absolutely false beyond belief, and failed to respond to the post. The slanderous accusations continue with fudging the facts and down right lies. The Dixie crates stone walled the passage of Civil rights legislation, but it was eventually passed. Biden's objections to forced desegregation had merit, and the result was very chaotic and painful for everyone. Many blacks also opposed 'forced desegregation. They wanted equal tfucation opportunities. He never said he was against eventual desegregation, and he supported the voting rights act, which the Dixie crates stonewalled to the end.

Your playing the Shultz, "I know nothing" like Trumps Modus Operandi. Please respond to the lies about Biden and the KKK, which are still in the TV ads.
      Last edited by shunyadragon; 09-13-2020, 09:12 PM.
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Why do you speak about Byrd in the present tense? He's been dead for many years now.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
          Why do you speak about Byrd in the present tense? He's been dead for many years now.
          No problem. The Republicans lie deceitfully concerning Byrd and Biden in the present tense.

Frank

Comment

No can of worms, the above is absolutely false beyond belief, and failed to respond to the post. The slanderous accusations continue with fudging the facts and down right lies. The Dixie crates stone walled the passage of Civil rights legislation, but it was eventually passed. Biden's objections to forced desegregation had merit, and the result was very chaotic and painful for everyone. Many blacks also opposed 'forced desegregation. They wanted equal tfucation opportunities. He never said he was against eventual desegregation, and he supported the voting rights act, which the Dixie crates stonewalled to the end.

Your playing the Shultz, "I know nothing" like Trumps Modus Operandi. Please respond to the lies about Biden and the KKK, which are still in the TV ads.
            Man, that is probably the worse case of cognitive dissonance I've ever seen.

Biden is the one who worked with dixiecrats to stonewall desegregation in '75. In fact, he even continued attacking it when data was already showing that it was working and narrowing achievement gaps, and he also introduced policies in '77 against integration that went beyond just busing, but they failed to pass. And you are wrong that Biden's objections to busing had any merit. Data shows busing benefited the black community overall.

Comment

Man, that is probably the worse case of cognitive dissonance I've ever seen.

Man, that is probably the worse case of cognitive dissonance I've ever seen., and changing the subject based on an agenda avoiding the topic. Start your own thread and deal with it.

Biden is the one who worked with dixiecrats to stonewall desegregation in '75. In fact, he even continued attacking it when data was already showing that it was working and narrowing achievement gaps, and he also introduced policies in '77 against integration that went beyond just busing, but they failed to pass. And you are wrong that Biden's objections to busing had any merit. Data shows busing benefited the black community overall.
              Actually no, not necessarily benefited. The main problem was schools were NOT separate and equal. There were increased violence and disruption in the schools, and peoples lives. I am very familiar with the problem I grew up in, and yes there was violence in my schools growing up. I am not saying good or bad at this point. I live in a traditional black neighborhood and many blacks are opposed to integration.

I responded to this. Back to the subject of the read and respond to the dishonest unethical Republican ads.

Still waiting. . .
              Last edited by shunyadragon; 09-13-2020, 10:34 PM.

Frank

Comment

Byrd was a kleagle (KKK recruiter) as well as an Exalted Cyclops and lied repeatedly about his KKK membership but he was never a Grand Wizard.

Byrd often said that he joined the KKK because it was effective in "promoting traditional American values." Odd considering that the racist "values" the Klan promoted (Cross Burnings to Lynchings) were anything but American. One has to wonder if Byrd ever attended a cross burning or lynching while he was out celebrating those "traditional American values."

In 2003, Byrd had the gall to claim that he joined the KKK not because he was a racist, but because the Klan had taken a strong stance against communism. Of course Byrd’s subsequent words and actions demonstrate his racism, but that isn’t all. Back in 1943 the Reds were a valued ally during WWII. In 1943 FDR was still calling Stalin "Uncle Joe" and cheering their advances toward Berlin. It wasn’t until the outbreak of the Cold War in 1947 (four years after Byrd claims he left the Klan) that it was patriotic to be anti-communist.

In 1952 while running for Congress, Byrd claimed he had left the Klan in 1943 and said that during "the nine years that have followed, I have never been interested in the Klan."

Byrd was lying.

A letter he wrote to a KKK Imperial Wizard three years after he claimed to have ended his ties with the Klan demonstrates the falseness of Byrd's claim. In that letter, Byrd wrote:

“I am a former kleagle of the Klu Klux Klan in Raleigh County and the adjoining counties of the state. The Klan is in need today as never before and I am anxious to see its rebirth here in West Virginia.”

He went on to request aid from Klan leadership in "rebuilding the Klan in the realm" of West Virginia. Yup, sounds like he has absolutely no "interest in the Klan" alright.

A short time later, in a letter written on the subject of desegregation of the armed forces in the 1940's, after Byrd supposedly renounced his KKK membership, he vowed that he would never fight in the military

“with a Negro by my side. Rather I should die a thousand times and see old glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the darkest specimen of the wilds.”

Uh-huh.

And twenty years after this revered Democratic Senator described African-Americans as "race mongrels" he stood on the U.S. Senate floor for over 14 hours filibustering to the bitter end against the 1964 Civil Rights Act (this was back when filibustering was tough and well before it was made much easier to do).

Finally, in 2001 Byrd still felt comfortable enough using the n-word that he did so not once but twice in public during a TV interview. And we're not talking about being caught by a hidden camera or overheard on a hot microphone that he didn't know was on during a private conversation. He said it to a reporter during an interview that was meant to be aired for a national audience. That indicates someone extremely comfortable using that language to the point it was second nature.

I mean, one can legitimately wonder how often he used it in private if he could use it without thinking in public.

Oh. And how did his fellow Democrats respond to his dropping the [n-word] twice during a TV interview? They promoted him.

A couple months later they made him President pro tempore of the United States Senate. And to be clear that isn't just some ceremonial position or title, but rather is the second-highest-ranking official of the United States Senate. They are third in the line of succession to the presidency, after the vice president and the Speaker of the House of Representatives and they preside over Senate sessions. Further, the President pro tempore makes appointment of various congressional officers as well as some commissions and advisory boards.

Now, imagine for a second that after a senior Republican Senator casually used the n-word a couple times in public during an interview to describe a group of people and then later issuing a simple "oops, my bad" apology for it. Do you think the media would have given him a free pass? Especially if he had a history like Byrd's?

And then imagine the Republicans turning around just a couple months later and making that person President pro tempore of the United States Senate. That would be sternly condemned nightly on news broadcasts for weeks to come as it would be "the" story.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Ignoring for the moment Biden anointing himself the arbitrator of the standard for who is and who isn't legitimately black and his declaring that all blacks think alike (not once but twice at two separate events), he has a long history of being awfully chummy with some of the most virulent racists to have ever been elected to national office. He even teamed up with the one many regarded as being the most malevolent racist in the Senate in his time, James Eastland (D-MS), to block the desegregation of schools, which would, in Biden's words, result in his kids growing up in a "racial jungle."

A "racial jungle"? A not so subtle play on the racist smear that blacks are monkeys living in trees in the jungle.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Actually no, not necessarily benefited. The main problem was schools were NOT separate and equal. There were increased violence and disruption in the schools, and peoples lives. I am very familiar with the problem I grew up in, and yes there was violence in my schools growing up. I am not saying good or bad at this point. I live in a traditional black neighborhood and many blacks are opposed to integration.

I responded to this. Back to the subject of the read and respond to the dishonest unethical Republican ads.

Still waiting. . .
                    And today the Democrats wish to return to their racist roots and support re-segregating schools again promoting such things as segregated classes, clubs and dorms.

Comment

I lived in West Virginia and met Robert Byrd. He is a fine upstanding gentleman that took the heat supporting Civil Rights legislation when the South was stonewalling trying to prevent it.
                      Your memory is about as shot as Biden's is.

Byrd fought tooth and nail AGAINST the passage of Civil Rights legislation. He was part of the Democrat 60 hour long filibuster against the Civil rights Act, personally filibustering the bill for over 14 hours. He also opposed the Voting Rights Act (but did not cast a vote) and he voted against the confirmation of Thurgood Marshall to the SCOTUS.

Byrd also voted against most of the anti-poverty programs of President Lyndon Johnson's "Great Society" initiative because, as Byrd put it, "we can take the people out of the slums, but we cannot take the slums out of the people."

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        And today the Democrats wish to return to their racist roots and support re-segregating schools again promoting such things as segregated classes, clubs and dorms.
                        Start your own thread. Respond to the topic of the thread of slanderous unethical Republican campaign ads.

Frank

Comment

Start your own thread. Respond to the topic of the thread of slanderous unethical Republican campaign ads.
                          I think it's obvious that the real lie is that Byrd was repentant racist when every indication is that he maintained and promoted his racist beliefs until the day he died.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

It's 'turn about is fair play' after the kinds of smears that have been leveled at Trump (for one) with repeated attempts to portray him as racist merely because David Duke liked him. At least here there is some reason to wonder about Biden's actual views.
                            ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                              It's 'turn about is fair play' after the kinds of smears that have been leveled at Trump (for one) with repeated attempts to portray him as racist merely because David Duke liked him. At least here there is some reason to wonder about Biden's actual views.
                              Kamala Harris called Biden out for his opposition to desegregation during the primary debates, but I guess all that has been forgiven and forgotten now.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment