Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump's dishonest portrayal of healthcare preexisting conditions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump's dishonest portrayal of healthcare preexisting conditions

[cite-https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/sep/11/donald-trump/donald-trumps-ridiculous-claim-about-joe-biden-and/]

Trump says Joe Biden “will destroy your protections for pre-existing conditions.”

IF YOUR TIME IS SHORT
    Biden wants to protect the Affordable Care Act, the health care law signed by President Barack Obama that created protections for people with pre-existing conditions.

Trump and Republicans for years have tried to get rid of the health care law, without an alternative that would maintain the same protections for people with pre-existing conditions.

See the sources for this fact-check

President Donald Trump claimed in Michigan that Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden would destroy a lot of things for Americans: the suburbs, auto industry, jobs, Social Security, and — cue the record scratch — health insurance protections for pre-existing medical conditions.

"He will destroy your protections for pre-existing conditions, and we will save Social Security," Trump said in Freeland Sept. 10.

Trump’s claim is baseless. The protections for Americans with pre-existing conditions were a key pillar of the Affordable Care Act that became law when Biden was vice president. The law prohibited health insurance companies from refusing coverage to someone or charging them more just because they had a health problem before the new coverage took effect.

Biden still defends the law, including its protections for pre-existing conditions. He said that if elected president, he’d "protect and build on it."

In June, Biden told the story of 22-year-old twins from Pennsylvania who were able to get health coverage even though they were diagnosed with cancer when they were children.

"Because of the law, the ACA, the insurance companies could no longer deny them coverage because they're survivors of cancer, a pre-existing condition," Biden said. "I'm proud. I'm proud of the Affordable Care Act."

FEATURED FACT-CHECK

Facebook posts stated on August 14, 2020 in a post on Facebook
    “As of the last 24 hours this is the protocol regarding masks: Masks should only be used by healthcare workers, caretakers or by people who are sick with symptoms like fever and cough.”

truefalse

By Aaron Sharockman • August 18, 2020

What Trump said also ignores efforts by his own administration and party to undermine and get rid of the ACA. Republican proposals to replace the ACA have not provided the same level of protections for people with pre-existing conditions.

Trump’s campaign did not provide evidence to support the president’s claim.

One of Trump’s major 2016 campaign promises was to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act, which he calls a disaster. We rated that a Promise Broken. Trump continued to promote his pledge during his presidency, but Republican efforts to eliminate the law have failed.

Trump has falsely claimed that he "saved pre-existing conditions in your health care." Trump has supported the law’s repeal without offering a replacement that would keep pre-existing protections intact. Meanwhile, he has promoted the expansion of short-term health policies that don’t offer the ACA’s protections for pre-existing conditions.

Our ruling: Trump said Biden "will destroy your protections for pre-existing conditions."

There is no basis for this claim. Biden wants to protect the Affordable Care Act, which created protections for people with pre-existing conditions. Trump and Republicans for years have tried to get rid of the health care law, without an alternative that would maintain the same protections for people with pre-existing conditions.

Trump’s claim is inaccurate and ridiculous. We rate it Pants on Fire! [/cite]
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

This is one of the stranger claims that Trump has made (i.e., Trump is claiming that, if Biden is elected President, Biden will dismantle Obamacare, so if Americans want Obamacare to be preserved, they should vote for Trump).

One of Trump's key 2016 election promises was to dismantle Obamacare. Apparently, one of his key 2020 election promises is to preserve Obamacare. Go figure...
    "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
    "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment

. . . also Trump has filled another law suit to over throw the existing Health Care. He nor the Republicans have proposed a health care system that would include preexisting conditions.
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Has Trump or the Republicans presented a comprehensive proposal for health care including preexisting conditions for the USA to replace the present health care system as a part of their election platform ?

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          Has Trump or the Republicans presented a comprehensive proposal for health care including preexisting conditions for the USA to replace the present health care system as a part of their election platform ?
          Nope.

But the truth is not and never has been what Trump is about. He's a man who lies when the truth is better. A person that enjoys lying overtly so he can see the shock in those who know he is lying. So that he can look them in the eye and say "yes, I'm lying, and you can't do one thing to stop it, and look at all of them, they all believe me!"
          Last edited by oxmixmudd; 09-12-2020, 08:30 AM.
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

"I am going to ask congress to send me a bill to immediately repeal and replace Obamacare." - Donald Trump 2016 election promise, September 14, 2016

"I do want to say that we're going to be introducing a tremendous health care plan sometime prior -- hopefully, prior to the end of the month. It's just completed now." - Donald Trump 2020 election promise, August 3, 2020

and my personal favourite:

"Nobody knew healthcare could be so complicated." - Donald Trump, February 27, 2017
            "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
            "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post
              "I am going to ask congress to send me a bill to immediately repeal and replace Obamacare." - Donald Trump 2016 election promise, September 14, 2016

"I do want to say that we're going to be introducing a tremendous health care plan sometime prior -- hopefully, prior to the end of the month. It's just completed now." - Donald Trump 2020 election promise, August 3, 2020

and my personal favourite:

"Nobody knew healthcare could be so complicated." - Donald Trump, February 27, 2017
              . . . sometime became "Once upon a time.."

Frank

Comment