Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump admits he played Coronavirus down, far more dangerous than the flu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump admits he played Coronavirus down, far more dangerous than the flu

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/09/p...rus/index.html

I know, I know, it's CNN. But you can hear audio clips of Trump himself saying those things which are included in the article (from interviews Trump gave to Bob Woodward).

But in early February, Trump told Woodward he knew how deadly the virus was, and in March, admitted he kept that knowledge hidden from the public.
    "I wanted to always play it down," Trump told Woodward on March 19, even as he had declared a national emergency over the virus days earlier. "I still like playing it down, because I don't want to create a panic."

"This is deadly stuff," Trump told Woodward on February 7.

"It goes through air, Bob. That’s always tougher than the touch. You know, the touch, you don’t have to touch things. Right? But the air, you just breathe the air and that’s how it’s passed.
    And so, that’s a very tricky one. That’s a very delicate one. It’s also more deadly than your – you know, your, even your strenuous flus. You know, people don’t realize, we lose 25,000, 30,000 people a year here. Who would ever think that, right?
    This is more deadly. This is five per- you know, this is five percent versus one percent and less than one percent. You know? So, this is deadly stuff."

Woodward: "Your new national security adviser, O’Brien, said to you January 28, “Mr. President, this is going- this virus is going to be the biggest national security threat to your presidency.” Do you remember that?"

Trump: "No, no. No, I don’t. No, I don’t. I’m sure if he said it – you know, I’m sure he said it. Nice guy."

So, you can hear all of this from the man himself.

For context, Trump called Coronavirus "their new hoax" on February 28.
    Last edited by LiconaFan97; 09-09-2020, 11:21 AM.

The whole coronavirus news has been filled with changes of opinions and with contradictions. This has happened from Trump (apparently in this moment and concerning vaccines) and with Fauci.

Fauci has said masks wouldn't be needed. Then he says everyone should wear masks. He wrote that this virus is at flu levels of deaths but then says this is a pandemic level.

We have Fauci rejecting Hydroxychloroquine while doctors in the field keep on reporting great success with it.

The news reports showed hospitals being full but then other people showed videos of the hospitals being empty and quiet the very next day.

We could not have more contradictions and confusion --even if made as a script for a movie. All this has shown to us is the incompetency to have an accurate and consistent message at all levels of media and government.

The question is "what are we to do about this?"

Comment

Mike, please focus on the content of the article.

Comment

Originally posted by LiconaFan97 View Post
        Mike, please focus on the content of the article.
        Did I miss anything?

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
          Did I miss anything?
          Nothing you wrote has anything to do with what Trump said in the interviews. That is the subject of this thread. If you want to spin your conspiracy theory fever dreams please do so elsewhere.

Comment

Nothing you wrote has anything to do with what Trump said in the interviews. That is the subject of this thread. If you want to spin your conspiracy theory fever dreams please do so elsewhere.
            If I come across any of those theories, I will avoid talking about them here.

Comment

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/09/p...rus/index.html

I know, I know, it's CNN. But you can hear audio clips of Trump himself saying those things which are included in the article (from interviews Trump gave to Bob Woodward).

But in early February, Trump told Woodward he knew how deadly the virus was, and in March, admitted he kept that knowledge hidden from the public.
              "I wanted to always play it down," Trump told Woodward on March 19, even as he had declared a national emergency over the virus days earlier. "I still like playing it down, because I don't want to create a panic."

"This is deadly stuff," Trump told Woodward on February 7.

"It goes through air, Bob. That’s always tougher than the touch. You know, the touch, you don’t have to touch things. Right? But the air, you just breathe the air and that’s how it’s passed.
              And so, that’s a very tricky one. That’s a very delicate one. It’s also more deadly than your – you know, your, even your strenuous flus. You know, people don’t realize, we lose 25,000, 30,000 people a year here. Who would ever think that, right?
              This is more deadly. This is five per- you know, this is five percent versus one percent and less than one percent. You know? So, this is deadly stuff."

Woodward: "Your new national security adviser, O’Brien, said to you January 28, “Mr. President, this is going- this virus is going to be the biggest national security threat to your presidency.” Do you remember that?"

Trump: "No, no. No, I don’t. No, I don’t. I’m sure if he said it – you know, I’m sure he said it. Nice guy."

So, you can hear all of this from the man himself.

For context, Trump called Coronavirus "their new hoax" on February 28.
              I'm sure Trump never actually said that the reason he didn't want to create a panic is that it would be bad for his chances of reelection, but it's pretty obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                Did I miss anything?
                Everything as usual.
                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

An interesting question was just asked on CNN about Trump and Woodward:

"(Trump) probably thought speaking to Bob Woodward was a feather in his cap because this was the guy who broke Watergate. Anyone on (Trump's) team who had any common sense, especially after the first Woodward book a couple of years ago, would have said 'avoid Bob Woodward'. Why would anyone in the White House let the President ever sit down with Woodward, let alone talk to him eighteen times?"

The answer, apparently, is that the majority of the conversations took place at night when none of Trump's handlers were around.
                  "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
                  "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment

Dr. Fauci defends the President:

Fauci, who is the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told Fox News later: “I don’t think [Trump] ever distorted things that I spoke to him about.”

Referring to Trump’s coronavirus press briefings, Fauci said, “I don’t think he said much different than what we said [to him] when we were in the Oval Office.”

https://www.breitbart.com/health/202...p-coronavirus/
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Fauci, who is the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told Fox News later: “I don’t think [Trump] ever distorted things that I spoke to him about.”

Referring to Trump’s coronavirus press briefings, Fauci said, “I don’t think he said much different than what we said [to him] when we were in the Oval Office.”

Fauci was speaking about the Coronavirus daily briefings as you can see in the actual interview.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...navirus-410895

ETA: I had to search for the interview clip after clicking MM's link because it wasn't included. That's what made me suspicious.
                      Last edited by LiconaFan97; 09-09-2020, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlieporterfield/2020/06/19/when-did-the-coronavirus-outbreak-start-italy-is-latest-to-say-earlier-than-previously-thought/#24f5c7bd171f

The earliest U.S. Covid-19 patient was diagnosed in mid-January in Washington, but two others in the same county tested positive for viral antibodies after experiencing Covid-19-like symptoms in December.

© Copyright Original Source

Regardless of whether he admitted it or not, the reality is that he did ridicule, minimize, compare COVID-19 to the common flu, and failed to act aggressively in the beginning when it was discovered spreading in the USA, likely introduced by less than a few dozen individuals from China to the West Coast, and from Europe to New York - Italy Dec. 18, Barcelona, Spain mid January, France mid December.
                        Last edited by shunyadragon; 09-09-2020, 07:16 PM.
                        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Fauci was speaking about the Coronavirus daily briefings as you can see in the actual interview.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...navirus-410895

ETA: I had to search for the interview clip after clicking MM's link because it wasn't included. That's what made me suspicious.
                          Yes, which is why the Breitbart story correctly says, "Referring to Trump’s coronavirus press briefings, Fauci said..."

Maybe you would have seen that if you actually bothered to read the source instead of being needlessly suspicious.

Comment

Yes, which is why the Breitbart story correctly says, "Referring to Trump’s coronavirus press briefings, Fauci said..."

Maybe you would have seen that if you actually bothered to read the source instead of being needlessly suspicious.
                            I did read the source. The article and your quote from it leaves things ambiguous as to what he's saying about what.

Comment

I did read the source. The article and your quote from it leaves things ambiguous as to what he's saying about what.
                              It would appear ambiguous to those with poor reading comprehension skills.

Comment