Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

'Not The Same Biden': WH Stenographer Says Biden's 'Mental Acuity' Has Deteriorated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Not The Same Biden': WH Stenographer Says Biden's 'Mental Acuity' Has Deteriorated

Interesting read, and something many people have noticed. Just looking back a few years ago at his speeches and debates, you can tell the clear difference and see the deterioration his dementia has been causing.
    https://freebeacon.com/2020-election...-deteriorated/
    ‘Not The Same Joe Biden’: White House Stenographer Says Former VP’s ‘Mental Acuity’ Has Deteriorated

Joe Biden’s former White House stenographer said the vice president’s public speaking ability has deteriorated significantly since leaving office to the point where he’s "not the same Joe Biden."

"It is a complete difference from what he was in 2017," Mike McCormick, who worked as a White House stenographer for 15 years and with Biden from 2011 to 2017, told the Washington Free Beacon in an interview. "He’s lost a step and he doesn’t seem to have the same mental acuity as he did four years ago."

"He doesn’t have the energy, he doesn’t have the pace of his speaking," McCormick said. "He’s a different guy."

McCormick’s recent book Joe Biden Unauthorized recounts his time working with Biden and takes a critical look at the former vice president, including the time he says Biden was "humiliated" by Russia's Vladimir Putin in 2011.

McCormick—who often traveled with Biden and transcribed his speeches, public conversations with foreign leaders, and off-the-record media briefings for the official White House record—said the vice president had a talent for connecting with audiences when he was in office and almost always veered off script from his pre-written speeches. Biden’s physical stamina and cognitive health have come under scrutiny during the 2020 election, due to a series of speaking appearances in which the 77-year-old has appeared to lose his train of thought, struggled to finish a sentence, or forgotten where he is.

"He’d just make a big joke out of it, and go straight from the hip. And notice, he’s not doing that anymore," he said. "He read that [Democratic National Committee speech] verbatim … it’s not Joe Biden anymore."

The Biden campaign did not respond to a request for comment.

McCormick said Biden also seems to get "lost" during interviews now, a problem he said seems more pronounced since leaving the White House.

In recent interviews, Biden seems to have been reading directly from a teleprompter when answering questions, including instructions from his staff, such as "END QUOTE" and "TOPLINE MESSAGE."

He has also made odd statements, telling one online audience that when he was a patient at Walter Reed Hospital, the nurses would "breathe in my nostrils to make me move."

President Trump has nicknamed him "Sleepy Joe," and the Trump campaign released a video ad last month suggesting that he is suffering from cognitive decline.

While McCormick says Biden was a more articulate speaker in the White House, his tendency to ramble sometimes caused him problems with foreign adversaries.

During Biden’s first visit with then-Prime Minister Vladimir Putin in March 2011, McCormick said the former KGB leader "publicly humiliated" the vice president by cutting off his microphone during their press conference—an incident that McCormick said never made it into media coverage of the trip.

Biden’s staffers at the time "made a big deal about how Putin really dominated the conversation [with] Obama" in a prior meeting, said McCormick. They indicated that Biden, with his decades of Senate foreign policy experience, wasn’t going to let Putin get the upper hand.

But during the public portion of the meeting in Moscow—as Biden launched into a soliloquy about his visits to Russia during the Cold War—his microphone was abruptly cut off mid-sentence, the press lighting was switched off, and Putin’s aides ushered the media out of the room, said McCormick.

"[Putin’s] message was unmistakable: I’m in charge of the room, I’m in charge of my country, and I’m in charge of the reset," wrote McCormick in his book. "As you might imagine, the vice president’s staffers were furious with the Russians. I was instructed to have the transcript reflect how the vice president had been cut off in mid sentence."

The official White House transcript of the meeting includes the sudden ending: "VICE PRESIDENT BIDEN: There’s a reason, Mr. Prime Minister. Mr. Prime Minister, I’ve been around a long time. The first time I was here—the second time I was here, I was meeting with President Brezhnev. We were trying to pass SALT II—END"

"He basically got body slammed by Putin, really. I mean, I don’t know how else to describe it," McCormick told the Free Beacon. "To me it was like, here’s our great foreign policy expert and he just got punk’d. And Vladimir Putin just had no fear or respect for him."

This morning during "lunch" a friend of mine at work showed me a video of Biden doing a recent interview in which he clearly asks that his teleprompter be moved so he could see it better. After which he was asked a pre-screened question and you see him wait several seconds before he begins clearly reading "his" reply as it is being typed out for him on the teleprompter by someone. He has literally deteriorated that much since the fiasco in Iowa (I don't think they ever did get a final total from that Democrat caucus).

And yet, even when being spoon-fed answers to softball questions we still get stuff like this from poor ol Joe.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

File this under "News that surprises nobody who has been paying attention."

I don't know how it's going to be possible for Biden to perform during a live debate.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I don't know how it's going to be possible for Biden to perform during a live debate.
        The first one is scheduled for September 29. His puppet masters have three weeks to come up with an excuse on why he can't attend.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          This morning during "lunch" a friend of mine at work showed me a video of Biden doing a recent interview in which he clearly asks that his teleprompter be moved so he could see it better. After which he was asked a pre-screened question and you see him wait several seconds before he begins clearly reading "his" reply as it is being typed out for him on the teleprompter by someone. He has literally deteriorated that much since the fiasco in Iowa (I don't think they ever did get a final total from that Democrat caucus).

And yet, even when being spoon-fed answers to softball questions we still get stuff like this from poor ol Joe.
          But nobody cares! Biden is just the place-holder to get what's-her-name in office.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think the Dems are counting on the fact that MUCH of the early voting and mail-in voting will happen prior to that, AND that most people who hate Trump would vote for a one-eyed frog named Demon before voting for Trump.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              But nobody cares! Biden is just the place-holder to get what's-her-name in office.
              Sadly true. Honestly at this point I feel sorry for the dude. Literal elder abuse.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
                Sadly true. Honestly at this point I feel sorry for the dude. Literal elder abuse.
                It is! They're just using the totally-out-of-it old white guy for their own purposes, but HE probably thinks they actually believe in him.

Comment

"Stop your boast about, never being seemed at what you, you can do anything... you you always talk about your ability to negotiate."
                  -Joe Biden (yes, this is an actual quote)

https://twitter.com/bennyjohnson/sta...13091544342529
                  Last edited by Mountain Man; 09-08-2020, 04:50 PM.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

"Stop your boast about, never being seemed at what you, you can do anything... you you always talk about your ability to negotiate."
                    -Joe Biden (yes, this is an actual quote)

https://twitter.com/bennyjohnson/sta...13091544342529
                    I found this one on wikipedia.

We cannot let this, we've never allowed any crisis from the Civil War straight through to the pandemic of 17, all the way around, 16, we have never, never let our democracy sakes second fiddle, way they, we can both have a democracy and elections and, at the same time, correct the public health.
                    This Week with George Stephanopoulos, ABC, 2020-04-05
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Ronson; 09-08-2020, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Did we post the most recent one, where he appears to wait for the teleprompter after being asked a softball question?

Comment

All this speculation feels kinda pointless, as we'll be able to get a reasonably definite answer at the debate itself. Then again, if he performs really poorly, all this stuff about him having some kind of dementia will be a major strike against him, so that is a reason to push it--on the other hand, if he performs reasonably, then it will hurt the Republicans/conservatives more than if they had said nothing about it, because they'll look dumb for pushing the narrative. It's a bit of a gamble.

Biden does make a bunch of gaffes, but I question whether this is dementia. I remember people making fun of him for gaffes back when he was Obama's VP.

Actually, if there is a cognitive problem, it's almost certainly not full-fledged dementia. It would be far, far more likely to be mild cognitive impairment, a still notable but less serious cognition disorder.

Comment

He seems to be waiting for whoever is feeding him answers via teleprompter, and he looks like he just woke up.... or is in the process of waking up.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                            All this speculation feels kinda pointless, as we'll be able to get a reasonably definite answer at the debate itself. Then again, if he performs really poorly, all this stuff about him having some kind of dementia will be a major strike against him, so that is a reason to push it--on the other hand, if he performs reasonably, then it will hurt the Republicans/conservatives more than if they had said nothing about it, because they'll look dumb for pushing the narrative. It's a bit of a gamble.

Biden does make a bunch of gaffes, but I question whether this is dementia. I remember people making fun of him for gaffes back when he was Obama's VP.

Actually, if there is a cognitive problem, it's almost certainly not full-fledged dementia. It would be far, far more likely to be mild cognitive impairment, a still notable but less serious cognition disorder.
                            Regardless of whether what you say is true or not, it's not just Republicans/conservatives "pushing the narrative."

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post

The rope a dope strategy. If he does ok they played it well, quite devious.

If it is as it seems, it could get ugly for Joe, and awkward for us. And Trump could easily overplay his hand.

The debates will be better than all super pooper bowls combined. I fully expect Joe to want to take it out back. Such a tough guy.

Comment