Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

American Christianity’s White-Supremacy Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I think it's a slippery slope type argument. In SPECIFIC cases.... therefore, in GENERAL.....
    I don't know what he is getting at...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I have never seen him make any such claim. That's a pretty serious charge which you need to either back up, or retract and apologize.
      Will not back up nor apologize.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
        That's literally blood libel.
        No it is not. The blood libel is a later medieval conception premised on certain specific texts found in the New Testament
        "It ain't necessarily so
        The things that you're liable
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life
        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          Shows what incredibly poor character you possess.

But, let's be clear.... you made an accusation that appears, on its face, to be false, but you will neither back it up with proof, or retract it?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Then you are a bold faced liar...
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

I think it's a slippery slope type argument. In SPECIFIC cases.... therefore, in GENERAL.....
              No CP, its just an attempt to see if we can agree on that basic moral example. Seer has said we are not obligated to what our ancesters have done. He said that as an absolute. My example creates a clear case where we ARE morally obligated by what our ancestors have done. It is hypothetical in that neither of us specifically is faced with that directly, but nevertheless it is a counter example that shows we can be obligated by what our ancestors have done.
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                I don't know what he is getting at...
                I'm getting at the fact there are conditions where we could be obligated by what our ancestors did.
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                  No CP, its just an attempt to see if we can agree on that basic moral example. Seer has said we are not obligated to what our ancesters have done. He said that as an absolute. My example creates a clear case where we ARE morally obligated by what our ancestors have done. It is hypothetical in that neither of us specifically is faced with that directly, but nevertheless it is a counter example that shows we can be obligated by what our ancestors have done.
                  To what end?
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                    But in your example I would have directly benefited from stolen money. That is not my case, or probably yours. So it would be specific to particular a case. You can't generalize. Which you did: We are responsible for the legacy of what was done, the impact of it. No we are not all responsible for a legacy that neither we or our ancestors had any part in.
                    Last edited by seer; 09-08-2020, 01:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                      I just know I'm probably going to regret this being how much of an ignorant novice you are on the subject.
                      Oh well then let’s see the colour of your money [as the saying goes]

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                      We don't know explicitly who wrote the gospels (though that's a subject of much debate)
                      Part of that sentence is correct we do not know who wrote the gospels and there is no rational debate or dissension about that.

but we know based on the content that the two authors were Jewish.
                      We know nothing of the kind. There is a theory that the writer of Matthew may have come from a Hellenised Jewish background but it is by no means an established fact. Among various NT scholars it remains a matter of speculation and discussion.

The gospel of John and Matthew closely resemble Judaic prose of that day
                      In what specific respect, in what particular details, and which precise prose texts?

especially the the content found in the Qumran scrolls.
                      You will need to specify definitive texts. Which precise Qumran document [s] are you referencing?

What makes you think John is "rabidly anti-Judaic?"
                      Examine it for yourself and apply a modicum of critical and objective textual analysis to the prose.
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      The things that you're liable
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life
                      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                        No it is not. The blood libel is a later medieval conception premised on certain specific texts found in the New Testament
                        It's literally blood libel. That the term itself was introduced later does not make it magically not blood libel, just as transgenders have existed for a long time before the term was invented. Etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                          But in your example I would have directly benefited from stolen money.
                          Well, . . . ah not the point of my posts, and no I have not addressed this issue. I could document that White privilege did give a huge economic advantage to the white population of America, but I cannot bring that down to the individual level.

That is not my case, or probably yours. So it would be specific to particular a case. You can't generalize. Which you did: We are responsible for the legacy of what was done, the impact of it. No we are not all responsible for a legacy that neither we or our ancestors had any part in.
                          Again, I never referred to individual responsibility nor guilt. I said:

No one is proposing that take responsibility for the sins of others. What is important is to acknowledge the racist history of the USA, and the devastating impact it has had on the blacks, their society and culture. But yes, the sins of our Anglo-Saxon ancestors and many today is brutal and immoral.

Your family heritage had the Anglo-Saxon advantage. All whites in the USA have the Anglo-Saxon advantage it is a fact of history.
                          Last edited by shunyadragon; 09-08-2020, 01:56 PM.
                          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Remember seer claims to be a 'White Nationalist.'
                            Let's see the quote.

Comment

Well, . . . ah not the point of my posts, and no I have not addressed this issue. I could document that White privilege did give a huge economic advantage to the whit population of America, but I cannot bring that down to the individual level.

Again, I never referred to individual responsibility nor guilt. I said:
                              You are a liar please don't talk to me until you apologize.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
                                Let's see the quote.
                                seer said, "I am not 'White Supremacist. I am a White Nationalist'. I will let seer respond.

Frank

Comment