Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

American Christianity’s White-Supremacy Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    America does not have a racist nature.
    Of course it does. How else do you explain the neo nazis and white supremacists around today?
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
      You do know that the Nazis murdered around eleven million souls, don't you? They started with their political opponents and then moved on to the disabled.
      I was focused more on race. Though he didn't like Gypsies either.

I might as well ask you how many lynch mob uncles and great uncles do you have?
      My people didn't get here until the late 1800s, and only lived in the North. So answer the question - how many party members in your family tree. Own up sister...
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Of course it does. How else do you explain the neo nazis and white supremacists around today?
        Few and far in between (maybe in backwoods southern regions), and have very little to no influence on US politics on any sort of national level. It's not like the 70s where actual white supremacists like Biden were writing racist laws that actually influenced western society. That doesn't happen now. The nazis and white supremacist boogiemen threat of today are leftist myths being used by certain political opportunists for their own agendas, and undoubtedly foreign foes using it to tear our country asunder.

Comment

They are learning from the good example of your forefathers. That is why most of them use the Swastika. And what about the Neo-nazis in your country today?

Neo-Nazi Provocations on the Rise in Germany

https://www.courthousenews.com/neo-n...se-in-germany/
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post
            The link I posted mentions the two previous resolutions:

"In 1995, the Convention formally apologized for its support of slavery. In 2015, it passed a resolution calling for racial reconciliation. Last week's resolution denouncing white nationalism passed overwhelmingly."
            Super, we're doing great!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Making fatuous remarks can be very entertaining but they do not adequately address the complex issues in this topic. You ought to read Robert P Jones' books, he's written two.
              What a bag of gas!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Do they?

Well that is a delightful back-handed compliment to your daughter, as according to what you have written she is clearly neither "believable/honest/accurate/worthy-of-listening-to/etc ".

Have you informed her of your opinion of her literary credentials?
                She is intelligent enough to grasp that writing two books does not make you any of those things. No need for me to inform her. Sadly, you don't seem to grasp it.

Comment

Jones has written two books on White Christian America. That is a specific subject area.
                  And? What about it?

Of course writing books does not automatically assume accuracy. However, accredited academics [as is Jones] writing in their discipline is a different matter.
                  No, it makes him an 'academic', writing for his ivory tower fellows.

Comment

You do know that the Nazis murdered around eleven million souls, don't you? They started with their political opponents and then moved on to the disabled.
                    And where is your apology for what they did? Since we don't see one should we then assume 'alarming' things about you?

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                      They are learning from the good example of your forefathers.
                      Have you heard of the German American Bund, or German American Federation? It was a German-American pro-Nazi organisation that was established in 1936.

And what about the Neo-nazis in your country today?
                      Your link is hardly news they have been around for some time and it is very worrying as is the rise of the AfD. However, most of the extreme RW/fascist groups seem to have their origins in the regions that were once the former GDR and that area of Germany has a different post war history from what was formerly West Germany.
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
                        And? What about it?

No, it makes him an 'academic', writing for his ivory tower fellows.
                        No it makes him the CEO and Founder of PRRI and also an academic and commentator on religion, culture, and politics.

He serves on the national programme committee for the American Academy of Religion, which is the world's largest association of scholars in the field of religious studies and related topics.

He is also a past member of the editorial boards for the Journal of the American Academy of Religion, and Politics and Religion, a journal of the American Political Science Association.

His academic credentials are a Ph.D in religion, a M.Div, and a B.Sc. in computing science and mathematics.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Have you heard of the German American Bund, or German American Federation? It was a German-American pro-Nazi organisation that was established in 1936.
                          Right, influenced by your country...

Your link is hardly news they have been around for some time and it is very worrying as is the rise of the AfD. However, most of the extreme RW/fascist groups seem to have their origins in the regions that were once the former GDR and that area of Germany has a different post war history from what was formerly West Germany.
                          So I guess both countries have their present day racists and racists history - so why are you always coming down on the US? Just being hypocritical?
                          Last edited by seer; 09-07-2020, 07:32 PM.

Comment

And where is your apology for what they did? Since we don't see one should we then assume 'alarming' things about you?
                            I repeat again that Nazism was not a guiding principle that underpinned German society for over two hundred years, unlike white Christianity in the USA.
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I didn't respond to your whole OP, or to your article (didn't read your article either as it has little interest to me as an atheist). I responded to several lines of your post, where you made statements in your own words.
                              YOU made the statement that I quoted. No one else. If you can't handle criticism of your own words, don't post.
                              I responded to you, and quoted only you. Not your article. Are you unable to comprehend that?
                              Not remotely.

The antisemitic foundation of Nazism was a guiding principle that underpinned Germany for centuries. Nazism cost millions of lives. And occured far more recently than slavery in the US. So let's hear your apology, or else don't demand an apology from others for slavery in the US.

No, I a fixated on your statement, that you made, and seem to be trying to flee from.

I repeat, I replied to you, and your own words, not some article.

That's nice, but has nothing to do with my post.

SO let's see the apologies from you for the Nazis, from Africans for enslaving africans (still going on today, BTW in a number of African countries), from Muslims for their enslavement of whites, etc..

That or you can just say "Hey, you know, now that I think about it, maybe I shouldn't have said what I did, I didn't actually mean it.", and we can leave it at that. Because clearly you're trying your darndest to not stick by your words and your logic. I quoted you, and only you. Stop trying to distract with your article, which I made no quotation of or reply to.
                              Your post appears to have little to do with the article or the OP and until you actually employ quotes in support of your contentions I am not addressing the main body of your reply

Your ignorance over the origins and history of anti-Semitism is quite alarming. It was not as you allege "a guiding principle that underpinned Germany for centuries" [my emphasis] given that "Germany" did not exist until 1871.

Anti-Semitism can be found in every Christian Western nation. There were various anti-Semitic groups/political parties across Europe in the 1920s and 1930s including affiliated Nazi parties, and where the Nazis invaded they found plenty of willing collaborators to denounce and/or help round up Jews. Without that local assistance the Gestapo could not have done its job.

Conversely many Germans risked [and lost] their lives helping to hide Jews or get Jews to safety.

Hence it was not a black and white situation with only "baddie Germans" which is how you appear to envisage it.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Right, influenced by your country...
                                In support of their fellow Germans. Apparently more Americans claim German antecedents than from any other area of the world.

So I guess both countries have their present day racists and racists history - so why are you always coming down on the US? Just being hypocritical?
                                Did you read the OP and the article from which its quotes came?

Judging from that question you have asked, I suspect you did not.
                                "It ain't necessarily so
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment