Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

American Christianity’s White-Supremacy Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Some of us just live our lives and get along with those around us regardless of skin color.
    Sorry, but simply "getting along" is not good enough. You must atone for the sins of white people who died long before you were even born. Giving a $100 bill and a heartfelt apology to every black person you meet is a good start.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Sorry, but simply "getting along" is not good enough. You must atone for the sins of white people who died long before you were even born. Giving a $100 bill and a heartfelt apology to every black person you meet is a good start.
      How many of these self-righteous accusers have given their homes to a BLM family, as BLM is demanding?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
        Do you actually read posts before you reply? Or do you just register the contributor's pseudonym and proceed to reply to what you think they have written?
        Anti christians such as yourself are not difficult to grasp.

I enjoy the nightmare tales you spin, the silly conspiracies you follow. They show your inability to critically think through the many lies you peddle.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
          Her intent is to clearly not only influence public opinion about the US election but sow discord among Americans based on lies about racism. If she were Russian or Chinese the word for that would be "foreign interference" on social media. I'm wondering what the difference is.
          Interesting comparison. The only problem for her (here) is that her audience is too small and too formalized in their views to be swayed by her transparent attempts. If she is also charging around Facebook and Twitter with the same nonsense, then she would certainly rise to the level of foreign interference.

Comment

It is funny, my grand kids and I live in a mixed race neighborhood, and they just don't see race. This kind of crap will make them race conscience, and not in a positive way.

Antiracist Baby' causes an uproar on social media as it encourages babies and toddlers to confess to their inherent racism

https://www.theblaze.com/news/antira...nherent-racism
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
              It is funny, my grand kids and I live in a mixed race neighborhood, and they just don't see race. This kind of crap will make them race conscience, and not in a positive way.

Antiracist Baby' causes an uproar on social media as it encourages babies and toddlers to confess to their inherent racism

https://www.theblaze.com/news/antira...nherent-racism
              It's a bizarre cult. What's so strange is it's mainly being pushed by white liberals.

From a purely theological perspective, I'm actually wondering if this is the fulfillment (or at least the beginning fulfillment) of 2 Thess 2:9-11. The fact that it has so much destructive force in our society, and the fact it's so pervasive and has so much influence in sociopolitical matters makes me seriously wonder.

Comment

I have a hard time believing people when they say they "don't see race". Believing that it's no big deal or considering it as an afterthought, I can absolutely believe that. But unless you have something similar to a form of face blindness, I have a hard time believing that.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  I have a hard time believing people when they say they "don't see race". Believing that it's no big deal or considering it as an afterthought, I can absolutely believe that. But unless you have something similar to a form of face blindness, I have a hard time believing that.
                  Racism is a pretty natural human trait. The problem is when it's brought up as an issue that defies statistics, and when it becomes an obsession (= the political left).

Comment

Being a Christian believer is not the issue.

Did you actually read the OP [and the article from which the quotes were taken]?
                    I don't think you got my point. I wasn't pointing out that there would be alot of christians. I pointed out that being a religious nation, it's natural that religious beliefs are used/justified/etc. In many groups. It's similar to both sides of a war thinking God has blessed their side.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                      It's a bizarre cult. What's so strange is it's mainly being pushed by white liberals.

From a purely theological perspective, I'm actually wondering if this is the fulfillment (or at least the beginning fulfillment) of 2 Thess 2:9-11. The fact that it has so much destructive force in our society, and the fact it's so pervasive and has so much influence in sociopolitical matters makes me seriously wonder.
                      Exactly....
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        I don't know I see how my grand kids interact with kids of other races...

Comment

It appears you did not read the OP with full comprehension either. The title of this thread is taken from the article in the New Yorker magazine as are the various quotes in the OP, apart from those directly taken from Jones' book.
                          I didn't respond to your whole OP, or to your article (didn't read your article either as it has little interest to me as an atheist). I responded to several lines of your post, where you made statements in your own words.
                          I posted the thread of my own volition because I thought this is a very topical and interesting subject - and Jones' book is worth reading. However, I did not bring "up slavery" of my "own volition" I introduced a thread that quoted from an article that examines the history of white American Christianity and white supremacy and that topic includes the history of slavery in the USA as well as the use of Christianity to defend and reinforce inequality and white domination.
                          YOU made the statement that I quoted. No one else. If you can't handle criticism of your own words, don't post.
                          The article is not solely about slavery, are you unable to comprehend that?
                          I responded to you, and quoted only you. Not your article. Are you unable to comprehend that?
                          That is an entirely irrelevant topic.
                          Not remotely.

As I have previously pointed out to you, Nazism was not a guiding principle that underpinned German society for over two hundred years, unlike white Christianity in the USA.
                          The antisemitic foundation of Nazism was a guiding principle that underpinned Germany for centuries. Nazism cost millions of lives. And occured far more recently than slavery in the US. So let's hear your apology, or else don't demand an apology from others for slavery in the US.

You seem to be fixated on slavery.
                          No, I a fixated on your statement, that you made, and seem to be trying to flee from.

I repeat the article is not solely about slavery.
                          I repeat, I replied to you, and your own words, not some article.
                          It points out that various Christians in the early 1800s supported slavery and that slavery was the reason that led to the southern Baptists splitting and creating their own denomination the Southern Baptist Convention [SBC].

However, the full articles also points out that various northern Christians [like Finney] while opposing slavery, did not support either equality for blacks or miscegenation. And this reluctance to give black Americans equality with white Americans was to be found across the USA.

Another section from the article reads:

After the South’s defeat in the Civil War, Southern church leaders struggled to help their congregants make sense of their loss. The result was the religion of the Lost Cause, a mythology that ennobled the Confederacy and idealized the antebellum South as a bastion of Christian piety and morals. This fusion of religious and cultural values, delivered from the pulpit, helped to legitimize a social order that continued to subjugate Black people. Later, as evangelical Christianity, anchored in the South, grew to become the dominant expression of Christianity in America, its cultural scaffolding, rooted in white supremacy, spread as well. During the era of Jim Crow, when Southern statutes enforced the strict separation of races and restricted the rights of Black people, Northern Protestant churches remained largely segregated and muted in their criticism. Many white Christians saw segregation as simply part of God’s plan for humanity.

Thus in the late 1950s Ross Barnett [who would go on to become the Governor of Mississippi from 1960-1964] could quite openly declare that “The Negro is different because God made him different to punish him” and that “God was the original segregationist. He made the white man white and the black man black, and he did not intend for them to mix”.

Imagine a political candidate uttering those sentiments in public today!

Recent surveys have found that prejudices towards African Americans, other ethnic minorities [especially Muslims], and generally negative views of black Americans are still prevalent among white Christians. Hence Jones' rather disturbing observation that "the more racist attitudes a person holds, the more likely he or she is to identify as a white Christian. ,
                          That's nice, but has nothing to do with my post.

SO let's see the apologies from you for the Nazis, from Africans for enslaving africans (still going on today, BTW in a number of African countries), from Muslims for their enslavement of whites, etc..

That or you can just say "Hey, you know, now that I think about it, maybe I shouldn't have said what I did, I didn't actually mean it.", and we can leave it at that. Because clearly you're trying your darndest to not stick by your words and your logic. I quoted you, and only you. Stop trying to distract with your article, which I made no quotation of or reply to.

Comment

Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post
                            The good news is that, just over three years ago, the Southern Baptist Convention voted to denounce white supremacy and the alt-right movement. Baby steps, baby steps...

https://www.wglt.org/post/southern-b...-past#stream/0

Southern Baptist Pastor Confronts His Own, Church's Racial Past
                            June 22, 2017

The Southern Baptist Convention, one of the largest denominations in the country, voted recently to denounce white supremacy and the alt-right movement, but not without controversy.

Initially, church leaders tried to table the resolution, which was proposed by a prominent African American pastor. The vote proceeded, however, following a backlash from members who condemned the alt-right movement as a "growing menace" to society and recalled the Southern Baptists' painful history of promoting and sustaining slavery.

"Any 'church' that cannot denounce white supremacy without hesitancy and equivocation is a dead, Jesus-denying assembly," tweeted one African American Southern Baptist minister...
                            He's a little late to the party.... from 1995 - TWENTY FIVE YEARS ago...

BAPTISTS RENOUNCE RACIST PAST

In a move based as much on practicality as spirituality, the Southern Baptist Convention on Tuesday renounced the racist heritage that gave birth to the denomination 150 years ago.

"I think we have taken a giant step, one I think is historic. It's something we need to do," said the Rev. Jim Henry, president of the Southern Baptist Convention and pastor of the First Baptist Church of Orlando.

The resolution on "racial reconciliation," overwhelmingly approved by the 20,000 convention delegates, apologized to African-Americans for the denomination's past support of slavery, which caused it to split from the Northern Baptists in 1845.

It commits the denomination to "eradicate racism in all its forms from the Southern Baptist Convention and its people."
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Good grief are some of you totally incapable of reading for comprehension?

I note you are once again resorting to personal comments.

Have you ever considered how puerile and petty such remarks makes you appear?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                I am neither a racist nor a white supremacist, so I have nothing to apologize for.
                                I never said you did. I am addressing the facts of history and racist nature of America today, and not any individuals that need to apologize. The only way this would be the case is if one believes in 'Original Sin,' and we need to apologize for the sins of our ancestors, or others. Yes, we are responsible for our own thinking and actions.

Unless you think or don't think like Nikki Haley:

Source: https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/513487-nikki-haley-us-us-not-a-racist-country

Former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley declared on Monday that the United States “is not a racist country,” pointing to her own experiences — as the daughter of immigrants and as the first nonwhite governor of South Carolina — as an example of “hope.”

© Copyright Original Source

Last edited by shunyadragon; 09-07-2020, 05:01 PM.
                                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment