Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

American Christianity’s White-Supremacy Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seer View Post
    What are you taking about?
    Your sole argument against HA at this point is that she is not american. Ergo, if she was American you would be using a different argument. Ergo - "you will treat differentially those not born in it".
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      Your sole argument against HA at this point is that she is not american. Ergo, if she was American you would be using a different argument. Ergo - "you will treat differentially those not born in it".
      No, I not only chided her but the leftist biased author she used - and he is American. And it is not only that she is a foreigner but that she has no room to talk given her country's wicked past.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

No, I not only chided her but the leftist biased author she used - and he is American. And it is not only that she is a foreigner but that she has no room to talk given her country's wicked past.
        Good grief, you contradict youself even in the same post!
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Maranatha explained why seer was upset. HA creating thread after thread after thread about American issues that are exceptionally divisive in this country is a bit strange. She also comes across has downright hostile towards America in her posts, even on a personal level. In fact, since intelligence has indicated there are foreign enemies trying to sway opinion on social media, whether that's true or not, I can see how it could even make someone a bit suspicious of "her" intent in light of that accusation.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
            Maranatha explained why seer was upset. HA creating thread after thread after thread about American issues that are exceptionally divisive in this country is a bit strange. She also comes across has downright hostile towards America in her posts, even on a personal level. In fact, since intelligence has indicated there are foreign enemies trying to sway opinion on social media, whether that's true or not, I can see how it could even make someone a bit suspicious of "her" intent in light of that accusation.
            Indeed. And alas, that's how she's always been for the number of years I've known her across the interwebs.

Comment

Buy a leftist, biased author, pushed by a foreigner who has no room to talk...
              And? Do you consider every American who is more liberal than yourself to be out to destroy your country? You will be telling us all next you think Mr Stone's apparent suggestion has some merit.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/09/tru...tes-democracy/
              "It ain't necessarily so
              The things that you're liable
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life
              Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                Well you went very quiet after making this empty boast at post #112 “I just know I'm probably going to regret this being how much of an ignorant novice you are on the subject.”.

You never addressed any of the points that I made in my reply at post #160. Clearly you were not up to the challenge!

I'd also remind you that several contributors post threads that highlight the more dubious aspects of American political and social attitudes and behaviours.

It seems that anyone who holds up the mirror is deemed to be "hostile" to the USA.

The inability to acknowledge the failings of one's country and be critical of those failings is a very dangerous attitude to adopt.
                "It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
                  Indeed. And alas, that's how she's always been for the number of years I've known her across the interwebs.
                  I see the "village" gossip is busy I thought such behaviour was supposed to be stereotypically female. I must have been mistaken.
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Do you consider any American who leans towards liberal politics to be a threat, or detrimental, to your country?

You will be writing next that Mr Stone's suggestion has some merit! https://www.rawstory.com/2020/09/tru...tes-democracy/
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                      Well you went very quiet after making this empty boast at post #112 “I just know I'm probably going to regret this being how much of an ignorant novice you are on the subject.”.

You never addressed any of the points that I made in my reply at post #160. Clearly you were not up to the challenge!

I'd also remind you that several contributors post threads that highlight the more dubious aspects of American political and social attitudes and behaviours.

It seems that anyone who holds up the mirror is deemed to be "hostile" to the USA.

The inability to acknowledge the failings of one's country and be critical of those failings is a very dangerous attitude to adopt.
                      I wasn't avoiding your post because I noticed this post just now. I posted on the 7th, then you responded the next day and there were like 5 thread pages in between. It's not like I can keep track of every single thread I post in, especially when the response is that late.

Looking at your post #160, I don't normally respond to fragmented posts like that, so I'll put my response in this post. (Note these are just tidbits, as the study is extremely extensive, much too extensive for a thread like this).

About the gospel of Matthew

Craig A. Evans: Matthew's beatitudes had a stark similarity to a string of beatitudes found in a Dead Sea scroll labeled 4Q525.
                      Jesus' Messianic claim to John the Baptist (Matthew 11:2-6; Luke 7:18-23) reflects the description found in a messianic scroll labeled 4Q521, both based on a reference to the prophet Isaiah.
                      Jesus' instructional prayer found in Matthew (6:9-13) and Luke (11:2-4) is akin to a Jewish prayer known as the Qaddish.
                      (The Dead Sea Scrolls and the Jewishness of the Gospels, p.2)

About the gospel of John

James H. Charlesworth: "The Fourth Gospel is now judged to be Jewish. Most commentators now study it in terms of first-century Palestinian Jewish writings, especially the Dead Sea Scrolls." (The Bible and the Dead Sea Scrolls, p.101).

Martin Hengel: "As far as I can see it, the author of the Fourth Gospel, who is identified with the "old one" (ho presbyteros) of the second and third letters of John, came from the priestly aristocracy of Jerusalem." (Conflicts and challenges in early Christianity, p.4).

About the four gospels in general.

Evans: "Not only is Jesus, the central figure of the Gospels, thoroughly Jewish, the Gospels themselves are Jewish to the core… The Dead Sea Scrolls have greatly added to our understanding and appreciation of the Gospels as Jewish literature. The Scrolls are Palestinian, early, written in Hebrew and Aramaic, and are unquestionably Jewish. Significant parallels between them and the Christian Gospels should go a long way in confirming the contention here that the Gospels are thoroughly Jewish, even if at points they are at variance with aspects of temple and scribal Judaism as it existed prior to 70 C.E." (The Dead Sea Scrolls and the Jewishness of the Gospels, p.2, p.3-11)

James D. G. Dunn: "The perspective from the 'inside' Second Temple Judaism which such terms express indicates clearly enough that in the beginning, embryonic Christianity was self-consciously Jewish in its self-designation and claims and was so perceived during that beginning period. We recall, of course, that Second Temple Judaism itself was diverse in character. The point is that in the beginning, the new movement which was embryonic Christianity was part of that diversity, wholly 'inside' the diversity of first-century Second Temple Judaism." (Beginning from Jerusalem, pp.16-17)

Ron H. Miller: "This follows from the simple awareness of how vitally the Hebrew Bible lives in every verse of the Christian New testament. Furthermore, any serious student of the text soon comes to realize that not one major theological concept in the gospels originates outside the Hebrew Bible. Monotheism, creation, sin, repentance, Messiah, vicarious suffering, sacrifice, commandments, God's reign, resurrection, and the final judgment at the close of human history – all of these are as Jewish as they are Christian." (The hidden Gospel of Matthew, pp.19-20)

Joseph Fitzmyer: "The Qumran texts, fragmentary though many of them are, supply us with firsthand information about the Palestinian Jewish matrix out of which early Christianity and its canonical writings emerged. Even though most of the Greek writings of the New Testament stem from extra-Palestinian or extra-Judean proveniences, a good number of them manifest their connection with that Palestinian Jewish matrix." (The Dead Sea scrolls and Christian origins, pp.4-5)

I believe Craig Evans' work is still free online in pdf form.

Comment

And? Do you consider every American who is more liberal than yourself to be out to destroy your country? You will be telling us all next you think Mr Stone's apparent suggestion has some merit.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/09/tru...tes-democracy/
                        I said Jones is a biased leftist, he is, and Stone is an idiot...
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

I see the "village" gossip is busy I thought such behaviour was supposed to be stereotypically female. I must have been mistaken.
                          Tsk tsk, a liberal trying to hand out gender roles? For shame - how misogynist and transphobic of you.

And it ain't gossip, honybun. Simply the facts. You've always posted threads attacking, criticizing, and hating on America. (I've never seen a single thread from you that's critical of your home country. Not one).

You've been called out on it in the past, and now people are seeing the same here and calling you out here as well..

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
                            Tsk tsk, a liberal trying to hand out gender roles? For shame - how misogynist and transphobic of you.

And it ain't gossip, honybun. Simply the facts. You've always posted threads attacking, criticizing, and hating on America. (I've never seen a single thread from you that's critical of your home country. Not one).

You've been called out on it in the past, and now people are seeing the same here and calling you out here as well..
                            Frankly, All I see is people with a white nationalist bend trying to silence her because she is not american. Her arguments appear no more 'anti american' to me than any of a host of other Americans that post here from a more liberal perspective.

Comment

Frankly, All I see is people with a white nationalist bend trying to silence her because she is not american. Her arguments appear no more 'anti american' to me than any of a host of other Americans that post here from a more liberal perspective.
                              Who are these people with 'a white nationalist bend'?

And no, no-one is trying to silence her. They're just noting her clear biases. And as someone who has had much longer experience with her and her posting history and posting styles, they're right on the money there.

Comment

Frankly, All I see is people with a white nationalist bend trying to silence her because she is not american.
                                You are a liar Jim...

Comment