Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

American Christianity’s White-Supremacy Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
    More gibbering nonsense to try to pretend that blood libel is not blood libel.
    If anyone is uttering "gibbering nonsense" it is you who, when I suggested to you [at my post #172] that you do some serious background reading on this topic to inform yourself. You could start with Dan Cohn-Sherbok's The Crucified Jew made a reply to me at your post #179 in response to that advice that you were "Not surprised to see you carry water for anti-semites though."

You clearly assumed [without bothering to check] that the author Dan Cohn-Sherbok [who is a Reform Rabbi and an Jewish academic] was, in your unique manner of thinking, an anti-Semite.

You do not appear to know the origin of the name Cohn
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
      Yes, but you see she specifically called out "Western" anti-semitism. Obviously, old greek anti-semitism isn't "Western" and therefore doesn't count.

Also, she pointed out that the term "Blood Libel" is defined as the sacrifices of christians for passover. The fact that this is an evolution of older myth of nearly the exact same type is irrelevant, "Blood Libel" only started after christ and therefore MUST be of christian origin.
      You should take up Gondwanaland's assumption that an author with the name Dan Cohn-Sherbok is one of those "anti-semites".
      "It ain't necessarily so
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        You make a very fine duck!
        giphy.gif

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
          Yes, but you see she specifically called out "Western" anti-semitism. Obviously, old greek anti-semitism isn't "Western" and therefore doesn't count.

Also, she pointed out that the term "Blood Libel" is defined as the sacrifices of christians for passover. The fact that this is an evolution of older myth of nearly the exact same type is irrelevant, "Blood Libel" only started after christ and therefore MUST be of christian origin.
          I think I'll go with the Jews over the lady from the country that implemented and ran the Holocaust.

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/blood-libel
          Last edited by Gondwanaland; 09-09-2020, 09:02 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
            You are wrong in your views on this. That is a fact. The account given by Apion is not a "blood libel" and regardless of your employment of irrelevant analogies or your attempts to deride your interlocutor [myself] that fact will not change.
            I'll go with the Jews over the chick from Germany who expects apologies from white Christians for slavery but still has not given an apology for the actions of the Nazis.

Comment

I'll go with the Jews over the chick from Germany who expects apologies from white Christians for slavery but still has not given an apology for the actions of the Nazis.
              Writes the man who thinks a Jewish academic and Reform Rabbi is an anti-Semite and made the following remark about Dr Cohn-Sherbok to me "Not surprised to see you carry water for anti-semites though."
              "It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I think I'll go with the Jews over the lady from the country that implemented and ran the Holocaust.

Fair enough in the sense of a generalization of blood libel. But still completely out of context wrt my actual reply, which addresses anti-semitism of any source in the Christian church.

And I think you are missing the majority of the thrust of the link you reference, which is that blood libel is primarily a term which references the issue as it circulated in europe from the middle ages to the present, to the point all dictionary references I found for the term only reference it in relation within that context.

The instance described in your link related to a pre christian instance of a similar accusation is in fact wholly and completely unrelated to blood libel as it is used today and as it precipitated the long history of christian based anti-semitism in western culture, specifically those cultures that were predominantly christian.
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Writes the man who thinks a Jewish academic and Reform Rabbi is an anti-Semite and made the following remark about Dr Cohn-Sherbok to me "Not surprised to see you carry water for anti-semites though."
                  Although it seems fair to grant the reference to apion could be called blood libel, im not sure the actual point in trying to use that against either your arguments or my own. Blood libel for a period of some 2000* years is an anti semitic term that was derived within a christian cultural context and directed at Jewish peoples from within that same Christian cultural context.

*2000 years in the sense that no other prominent use of the term existed during that period. The origin of that usage was AFAIK in the middle ages.
                  Last edited by oxmixmudd; 09-09-2020, 12:22 PM.
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                    Again, I don't believe in collective responsibility, I believe in individual responsibility. I had no hand in what was done to blacks. And it is not that I am without empathy, but I believe that education is key. These kids, for at least a generation, need to get generous vouchers to get out of these failing and dangerous schools. And I would extend those vouchers to two years of Community College or private Technical Schools after high school. Though offering this to just one race is probably unconstitutional.
                    the reality is you do believe in collective responsibility seer, unless you are part of that collective. I here reference your willingness to condemn all protest on behalf of those that turn the peaceful events into riots or near riots after dark. And to your willingness to blame all or the majority of racial inequities on black culture.

The truth is, when we are part of a group, we are in part responsible for what that group does. Denial of that fact does not change that reality. Or the consequences of that reality. Say you ran every morning with some group of guys. Would you not seek to immediately distance yourself from them if some morning they all stopped and cussed out some woman that blocked their path? If corporate responsibility doesn't exist, why would you care? Would not people be correct to judge you if you continued to run with them after the event? Would you not in fact be condoning their behavior if you continued to run with them after the fact, or if you were there when it happened and did not do anything to stop it?

Comment

And now she's telling porkies again

Comment

"porkies"... Jewish.....

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                          the reality is you do believe in collective responsibility seer, unless you are part of that collective. I here reference your willingness to condemn all protest on behalf of those that turn the peaceful events into riots or near riots after dark. And to your willingness to blame all or the majority of racial inequities on black culture.
                          First, I never condemned peaceful protests. Only riots and looting. And yes, I do expect black folks to be morally responsible. Black men do need to care for their own children, but that is an individual choice. And I never said that Black people didn't have a hard time in this country - especially in the past.

The truth is, when we are part of a group, we are in part responsible for what that group does. Denial of that fact does not change that reality. Or the consequences of that reality. Say you ran every morning with some group of guys. Would you not seek to immediately distance yourself from them if some morning they all stopped and cussed out some woman that blocked their path? If corporate responsibility doesn't exist, why would you care? Would not people be correct to judge you if you continued to run with them after the event? Would you not in fact be condoning their behavior if you continued to run with them after the fact, or if you were there when it happened and did not do anything to stop it?
                          That makes no sense, perhaps I just don't want to hang around such guys. I'm am not responsible for their choices, nor do I feel responsible.
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                            First, I never condemned peaceful protests. Only riots and looting. And yes, I do expect black folks to be morally responsible. Black men do need to care for their own children, but that is an individual choice. And I never said that Black people didn't have a hard time in this country - especially in the past.

That makes no sense, perhaps I just don't want to hang around such guys. I'm am not responsible for their choices, nor do I feel responsible.
                            Denial is always one way of dealing with uncomfortable realities.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                              Denial is always one way of dealing with uncomfortable realities.
                              Pure BS...
                              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

It would appear that you do not care for the truth. Which is evident on this thread for any one to read. All they need to do is go page 18 and read the two following posts.

At post #172 I a post that contained this advice:

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                                I suggest you do some serious background reading on this topic to inform yourself. You could start with Dan Cohn-Sherbok's The Crucified Jew.
                                In reply to that precise sentence at post #179 you wrote:

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
                                That's nice, but does not change that it is literally blood libel. Not surprised to see you carry water for anti-semites though.
                                As no other person was mentioned in my reply at post #172, who exactly were these "anti-semites" to which you referred and for whom you alleged I was carrying "water for"?

Or was there some imaginary character in your head?
                                "It ain't necessarily so
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment