Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump: Americans Who Died in War Are ‘Losers’ and ‘Suckers’

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I mean, in the very first paragraph of the article it handwaves that the delay was due to rain, when that was a fact. In the very first paragraph they disproved themselves as journalists either because they have no integrity or have no skills as investigative journalists.

Comment

Originally posted by LiconaFan97 View Post

When President Donald Trump canceled a visit to the Aisne-Marne American Cemetery near Paris in 2018, he blamed rain for the last-minute decision, saying that “the helicopter couldn’t fly” and that the Secret Service wouldn’t drive him there. Neither claim was true.

Trump rejected the idea of the visit because he feared his hair would become disheveled in the rain, and because he did not believe it important to honor American war dead, according to four people with firsthand knowledge of the discussion that day. In a conversation with senior staff members on the morning of the scheduled visit, Trump said, “Why should I go to that cemetery? It’s filled with losers.” In a separate conversation on the same trip, Trump referred to the more than 1,800 marines who lost their lives at Belleau Wood as “suckers” for getting killed.

Belleau Wood is a consequential battle in American history, and the ground on which it was fought is venerated by the Marine Corps. America and its allies stopped the German advance toward Paris there in the spring of 1918. But Trump, on that same trip, asked aides, “Who were the good guys in this war?” He also said that he didn’t understand why the United States would intervene on the side of the Allies.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...uckers/615997/

I really don't know what to add to this story. I'm shocked but not surprised. Surely we can all give a full throated condemnation of this.
      To bad this has been debunked already by people who were there and documents from that time as well as John Bolton(who is no friend of Trumps) says it did not happen.

I will believe people who let themselves be named and corroborating evidence in the way of documents from that time rather then so called anonymous sources with no corroboration.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        Good grief man, my tribalistic thinking? Have some integrity.
        Then get a clue. Disagreeing with ones political philosophy doesn't equate to hate for the man or disrespect for his military service. There are no longer very many republicans out there worthy of respect as a man/woman of principle, but McCain wascertainly one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
          I mean, in the very first paragraph of the article it handwaves that the delay was due to rain, when that was a fact. In the very first paragraph they disproved themselves as journalists either because they have no integrity or have no skills as investigative journalists.
          sean, they had to come up with some excuse, right?

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
            No, he didn't. He said he hadn't heard it said.
            Correct.

Try a little honesty.
            This is like Pee-wee Herman telling the Hulk to get in shape.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

What I'm reading is that, if true, these statements would not be disqualifying for a CiC. Do I have that right?

Comment

What I'm reading is that, if true, these statements would not be disqualifying for a CiC. Do I have that right?
                I love this... "if true".
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  John Bolton, no friend of Trump, says flat out it didn't happen.
                  "These comments are despicable. If he made them, they are despicable. There is no excuse from them, especially not from the commander in chief. So there's no, no surprise that Trump went out of his way last night here in the U.S. to deny that he had said it. But, you know, his credibility is pretty thin in my view... I have not heard anybody say, ‘Oh, that doesn’t sound like the Donald Trump I know’. He was prone to say from time to time: ‘What did they get out of it? What was the worth of the war in Iraq and the war in Afghanistan?’ That is a kind of insensitivity that Trump does have, there’s no doubt about it.” - John Bolton, September 4, 2020 interview on Bloomberg News

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...le-if-accurate
                  "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
                  "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                    He is not my "darling John McCain". However, you are correct. I keep forgetting that, mentally, Trump has never left the Kindergarten play yard.
                    I'm curious how you can forget that - he reminds us of it each and every day.

My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post
                      "These comments are despicable. If he made them, they are despicable. There is no excuse from them, especially not from the commander in chief. So there's no, no surprise that Trump went out of his way last night here in the U.S. to deny that he had said it. But, you know, his credibility is pretty thin in my view... I have not heard anybody say, ‘Oh, that doesn’t sound like the Donald Trump I know’. He was prone to say from time to time: ‘What did they get out of it? What was the worth of the war in Iraq and the war in Afghanistan?’ That is a kind of insensitivity that Trump does have, there’s no doubt about it.” - John Bolton, September 4, 2020 interview on Bloomberg News

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...le-if-accurate
                      From that same source (without the superfluous bolding)

“I didn’t hear him say those things,” he said, adding later he probably would have included the remarks in his book if he had. “Now, did he say those things to other people later in the day? It’s certainly possible.”

Comment

I love this... "if true".
                        Would these comments be disqualifying for a CiC to make?

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                          To bad this has been debunked already by people who were there and documents from that time as well as John Bolton(who is no friend of Trumps) says it did not happen.

I will believe people who let themselves be named and corroborating evidence in the way of documents from that time rather then so called anonymous sources with no corroboration.
                          It has been denied. It has not been debunked.
                          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Would these comments be disqualifying for a CiC to make?
                            "Disqualifying" in what sense? He could be impeached!

But, no, saying stupid stuff doesn't disqualify one from office. It may make them less re-electable, but on what grounds would they disqualify him?

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                              I'm curious how you can forget that - he reminds us of it each and every day.

You are quite right. I was being mildly self deprecating.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              The things that you're liable
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life
                              Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

"Disqualifying" in what sense? He could be impeached!

But, no, saying stupid stuff doesn't disqualify one from office. It may make them less re-electable, but on what grounds would they disqualify him?
                                The fact that you are responding this way belies your belief that Trump did not make these comments.

BTW, this story has been confirmed by National Security Correspondent for FNC Jennifer Griffin.

Comment