Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump: Americans Who Died in War Are ‘Losers’ and ‘Suckers’

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump: Americans Who Died in War Are ‘Losers’ and ‘Suckers’

When President Donald Trump canceled a visit to the Aisne-Marne American Cemetery near Paris in 2018, he blamed rain for the last-minute decision, saying that “the helicopter couldn’t fly” and that the Secret Service wouldn’t drive him there. Neither claim was true.

Trump rejected the idea of the visit because he feared his hair would become disheveled in the rain, and because he did not believe it important to honor American war dead, according to four people with firsthand knowledge of the discussion that day. In a conversation with senior staff members on the morning of the scheduled visit, Trump said, “Why should I go to that cemetery? It’s filled with losers.” In a separate conversation on the same trip, Trump referred to the more than 1,800 marines who lost their lives at Belleau Wood as “suckers” for getting killed.

Belleau Wood is a consequential battle in American history, and the ground on which it was fought is venerated by the Marine Corps. America and its allies stopped the German advance toward Paris there in the spring of 1918. But Trump, on that same trip, asked aides, “Who were the good guys in this war?” He also said that he didn’t understand why the United States would intervene on the side of the Allies.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...uckers/615997/

I really don't know what to add to this story. I'm shocked but not surprised. Surely we can all give a full throated condemnation of this.

It's pretty simple. If you don't like Trump, you will believe the story. If you do, you won't. It was anonymously reported, though they did say they got four sources for this claim. The substance isn't really all that different from his confirmed comment about preferring soldiers who weren't captured, either way.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by LiconaFan97 View Post

I really don't know what to add to this story. I'm shocked but not surprised. Surely we can all give a full throated condemnation of this.
      "Sources say".

According to named sources speaking on the record, The Atlantic is full of crap.

President Donald Trump on Thursday night personally denounced a story published by The Atlantic, which cited anonymous sources that claim Trump described America’s fallen heroes as “suckers” and “losers.”

“To think that I would make statements negative to our military and our fallen heroes … it is a disgraceful situation by a magazine that’s a terrible magazine,” Donald Trump said. “I don’t read it, but I just heard about it.”

Trump spoke after he landed at Andrews Air Force Base after returning late from a campaign rally at an airport in Wisconsin.

“It’s a total lie; it’s fake news. It’s a disgrace, and frankly its a disgrace to your profession,” he said to reporters who did not expect him to speak after exiting Air Force One. Video footage of his remarks featured the president denouncing the story in the dark.

[...]

Several members of the White House team, who were present for the trip, also publicly denounced the story on Twitter.

“The Atlantic story on Donald Trump is total BS,” wrote former White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders. “I was actually there and one of the people part of the discussion – this never happened.”

Sanders said she was “disgusted” by the attack published in The Atlantic, recalling the moments that President Trump met with veterans.

“These were some of the moments I witnessed the President show his heart and demonstrate how much he respects the selfless and courageous men and women of our military,” she said.

Jordan Karem, the president’s body man during the trip, also weighed in on Twitter.

“Again, this is 100% false. I was next to the president the whole day!” he wrote. “The President was greatly disappointed when told we couldn’t fly there. He was incredibly eager to honor our Fallen Heroes.”

Senior adviser to the president, Stephen Miller, who was also present for the trip, described the story as a “despicable lie.”

“The president deeply wanted to attend the memorial event in question and was deeply displeased by the bad weather call,” he said in comments to the Washington Examiner.

Deputy Chief of Staff for Communications Dan Scavino also said he was with the president after the trip was canceled due to bad weather.

“There is literally not one thing ‘reported’ from France that is accurate or true, 100% complete lies!” he wrote. “This is a politically motivated hit piece, on the President of the United States, 60 days before a presidential election. A total disgrace!!”

The Washington Examiner published an email from Secret Service detailing the decision to cancel the 2018 event.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...len-soldiers/#
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by LiconaFan97 View Post

When President Donald Trump canceled a visit to the Aisne-Marne American Cemetery near Paris in 2018, he blamed rain for the last-minute decision, saying that “the helicopter couldn’t fly” and that the Secret Service wouldn’t drive him there. Neither claim was true.Trump rejected the idea of the visit because he feared his hair would become disheveled in the rain, and because he did not believe it important to honor American war dead, according to four people with firsthand knowledge of the discussion that day. In a conversation with senior staff members on the morning of the scheduled visit, Trump said, “Why should I go to that cemetery? It’s filled with losers.” In a separate conversation on the same trip, Trump referred to the more than 1,800 marines who lost their lives at Belleau Wood as “suckers” for getting killed.

Belleau Wood is a consequential battle in American history, and the ground on which it was fought is venerated by the Marine Corps. America and its allies stopped the German advance toward Paris there in the spring of 1918. But Trump, on that same trip, asked aides, “Who were the good guys in this war?” He also said that he didn’t understand why the United States would intervene on the side of the Allies.

I would suggest that given Trump's moral turpitude there is no reason to indicate that this is not a broadly veracious article.

We saw and read what he thought of John McCain.
        "It ain't necessarily so
        The things that you're liable
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life
        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
          We saw and read what he thought of John McCain.
          Remember darling John McCain first attacked Trump, and Trump tends to hit back. This was not the case with the Military. And I can not think of a President that has done more for the VA and the military.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            Remember darling John McCain first attacked Trump, and Trump tends to hit back. This was not the case with the Military. And I can not think of a President that has done more for the VA and the military.
            It also doesn't square with his actions; the fact he expanded NDAA (which the Dems, who believe he's a traitor, a dictator, a Putin puppet strangely granted) as well as the fact he's always been a vocal supporter of US military in the past. This sounds more like warmongering neocons who want to smear him this way because he wants to pull out of certain military campaigns (like they did with the Afghanistan bounty thing).
            Last edited by seanD; 09-04-2020, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              It's pretty simple. If you don't like Trump, you will believe the story. If you do, you won't. It was anonymously reported, though they did say they got four sources for this claim. The substance isn't really all that different from his confirmed comment about preferring soldiers who weren't captured, either way.
              Well, if the story is credible, confirmed by 3 different credible journalism organizations, then reasonable people will believe it. Unreasonable Trumpsters will believe nothing critical of Trump so long as the sociopath Trump disavows it. Their excuse for not believing is the unnamed sources, but that's a joke of course, since they wouldn't believe it anymore so even if the source was named. Trumps denial isn't plausable since he has already shown his disdain for patriots who fought for their country by denying the heroism of John McCain after his being shot down, captured and tortured for years, his demeaning of goldstar parents and his own bone spur scam to avoid the draft.
              Last edited by JimL; 09-04-2020, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                Well, if the story is credible, confirmed by 3 different credible journalism organizations, then reasonable people will believe it. Unreasonable Trumpsters will believe nothing critical of Trump so long as the sociopath Trump disavows it. Their excuse for not believing is the unnamed sources, but that's a joke of course, since they wouldn't believe it anymore so even if the source was named. Trumps denial isn't plausable since he has already shown his disdain for patriots who fought for their country by denying the heroism of John McCain after his being shot down, captured and tortured for years, his demeaning of goldstar parents and his own bone spur scam to avoid be draft.
                That the left is now commending John McCain as their hero is all you need to know about partisan tribalism.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                  That the left is now commending John McCain as their hero is all you need to know about partisan tribalism.
                  They hated him when he was running...
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                    That's idiotic, sean. Disagreement with ones political ideology has nothing to do with their heroism or patriotism.

Comment

They hated him when he was running...
                      These comments are indicative of your tribalistic thinking. Respect for McCain and his military service has nothing to do disagreeing with his politics.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        These comments are indicative of your tribalistic thinking. Respect for McCain and his military service has nothing to do disagreeing with his politics.
                        Good grief man, my tribalistic thinking? Have some integrity.

Comment

John Bolton, no friend of Trump, says flat out it didn't happen.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Remember darling John McCain first attacked Trump, and Trump tends to hit back.
                            He is not my "darling John McCain". However, you are correct. I keep forgetting that, mentally, Trump has never left the Kindergarten play yard.
                            Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 09-04-2020, 04:13 PM.
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            The things that you're liable
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life
                            Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              John Bolton, no friend of Trump, says flat out it didn't happen.
                              No, he didn't. He said he hadn't heard it said. Try a little honesty.

Comment