Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump: Americans Who Died in War Are ‘Losers’ and ‘Suckers’

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LiconaFan97 View Post
    The fact that you are responding this way belies your belief that Trump did not make these comments.
    Correct. But I wasn't there, and he does, indeed, frequently say stupid stuff.

BTW, this story has been confirmed by National Security Correspondent for FNC Jennifer Griffin.
    So, let's play your little game -- IF he did say what is reported to have been said -- on what grounds would that "disqualify him from being Cic"?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Correct. But I wasn't there, and he does, indeed, frequently say stupid stuff.
      This is not "stupid stuff." Aren't there people in the military who post on this board? I hope they weigh in.

So, let's play your little game -- IF he did say what is reported to have been said -- on what grounds would that "disqualify him from being Cic"?
      It's not a game. A leader cannot lead without the respect of their subordinates. Soldiers, at least American ones, will never respect a leader who displays open contempt for them.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
        sean, they had to come up with some excuse, right?
        It's a case of boy crying wolf. Why didn't this come up during the impeachment stuff to bolster public contempt for Trump? Right before election when the poll numbers are closing? The timing is suspicious. After Russiagate, Ukrainegate, Afghanistan bounty hoax, nah, especially considering Trump has given me no reason to believe it based on his actions and support of the military in the past. Sorry, I ain't buying it.

Comment

The fact that you are responding this way belies your belief that Trump did not make these comments.

BTW, this story has been confirmed by National Security Correspondent for FNC Jennifer Griffin.
          I just wanted to clarify that FNC is Fox News Channel. I suspect that Fox may no longer be Trump's favourite news channel...
          "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
          "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment

This is not "stupid stuff." Aren't there people in the military who post on this board? I hope they weigh in.
            * If, in the CONTEXT of his overall treatment of the military, he said something really stupid, and he's in the habit of saying really stupid stuff, I'd probably write it off as "what was he THINKING!"

It's not a game.
            When you're going at it with "if true", it's a game.

A leader cannot lead without the respect of their subordinates. Soldiers, at least American ones, will never respect a leader who displays open contempt for them.
            IF TRUE, this was not "open contempt" - it was, IF TRUE, something stupid he said that needs to be weighed against the totality of his treatment of the military.

*not now, but was!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The memorial at Bella Wood is sacred to former Marines like myself. If he said that the dead were losers and suckers that is much more than saying stupid stuff. It would be something that would cause me to sit out the election. But I really don't believe it. This trip happened two years ago and we are now just hearing about it right before the election?
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                These comments are indicative of your tribalistic thinking. Respect for McCain and his military service has nothing to do disagreeing with his politics.
                It had alot to do with liberals calling him a "hanoi hilton songbird" and a traitor during the 2008 election.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                  ...If he said that the dead were losers and suckers that is much more than saying stupid stuff...
                  Yes, if he actually said that.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
                    It had alot to do with liberals calling him a "hanoi hilton songbird" and a traitor during the 2008 election.
                    The liberals only 'gained respect' for McCain when he turned on Trump.

Comment

* If, in the CONTEXT of his overall treatment of the military, he said something really stupid, and he's in the habit of saying really stupid stuff, I'd probably write it off as "what was he THINKING!"
                      I don't believe that if you lost a child, sibling, parent, or brother- (sister-) in-arms in war you would write these comments off regardless of how much "context" you bring in. That's the perspective you need to adopt.

When you're going at it with "if true", it's a game.
                      It has now been confirmed by Fox News. All of it. It's true.

IF TRUE, this was not "open contempt" - it was, IF TRUE, something stupid he said that needs to be weighed against the totality of his treatment of the military.

*not now, but was!
                      Calling people "losers" and "suckers" for dying for their country is open contempt. It feels silly to fight over this point.

Comment

I don't believe that if you lost a child, sibling, parent, or brother- (sister-) in-arms in war you would write these comments off regardless of how much "context" you bring in. That's the perspective you need to adopt.
                        I'm a 'total context' kind of guy. I realize people have bad days and can say really stupid things. And, when it comes from somebody who's know for saying really stupid things, I take that into consideration, as well. I'm very much a segunda oportunidad kind of guy.

It has now been confirmed by Fox News. All of it. It's true.
                        I've had Fox News on for the last 30 minutes or so, and haven't seen any such declaration. They're still playing Bolton's comments.

Calling people "losers" and "suckers" for dying for their country is open contempt. It feels silly to fight over this point.
                        Then don't!

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          It's pretty simple. If you don't like Trump, you will believe the story. If you do, you won't. It was anonymously reported, though they did say they got four sources for this claim. The substance isn't really all that different from his confirmed comment about preferring soldiers who weren't captured, either way.
                          Several high ranking officers confirmed the story, and it follows the same line of thinking as his slanderous abusive statements about McCain.
                          Last edited by shunyadragon; 09-04-2020, 05:34 PM.
                          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                            The memorial at Bella Wood is sacred to former Marines like myself. If he said that the dead were losers and suckers that is much more than saying stupid stuff. It would be something that would cause me to sit out the election. But I really don't believe it. This trip happened two years ago and we are now just hearing about it right before the election?
                            Thanks for your response.

Comment

Anybody who voted for him was already willing to overlook his similar comment about McCain so this won't flip any votes.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I'm a 'total context' kind of guy. I realize people have bad days and can say really stupid things. And, when it comes from somebody who's know for saying really stupid things, I take that into consideration, as well. I'm very much a segunda oportunidad kind of guy.
                                Do you believe if you came at it from the angle of someone who had lost someone they cared about that you'd feel the same way?

I've had Fox News on for the last 30 minutes or so, and haven't seen any such declaration. They're still playing Bolton's comments.
                                You can view the confirmation at the video embedded in the page below.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/fox-news...lantic-report/

Comment