Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump endorces fringe theories like Qanon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump endorces fringe theories like Qanon

It is overwhelmingly apparent that Trump praises and supports extreme groups that aupport him and vote for hime regardless of the 'extreme dangerous views they represent."

Source: https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/19/politics/donald-trump-qanon/index.htm

Trump embraces QAnon conspiracy because 'they like me'
    Kevin Liptak-Profile-Image
    By Kevin Liptak, CNN

(CNN)After skirting the issue for weeks, President Donald Trump offered an embrace Wednesday of the fringe internet phenomenon QAnon, praising its followers for supporting him and shrugging off its outlandish conspiracies.

His comments reflected the highest-profile endorsement to date of the group, which has infiltrated Republican circles even as party leaders attempt to distance themselves.

"I don't know much about the movement other than I understand they like me very much, which I appreciate," Trump said in the White House briefing room.

"I have heard that it's gaining in popularity," Trump said, suggesting QAnon followers approved of how he'd handled social unrest in places like Portland, Oregon. "I've heard these are people that love our country and they just don't like seeing it."

QAnon's prevailing conspiracy theories — none based in fact — claim dozens of Satan-worshipping politicians and A-list celebrities work in tandem with governments around the globe to engage in child sex abuse. Followers also believe there is a "deep state" effort to annihilate Trump.

But followers of the group have expanded from those beliefs and now allege baseless theories surrounding mass shootings and elections. Followers have falsely claimed that 5G cellular networks are spreading the coronavirus.

The group has also peddled conspiracies about coronavirus, the Black Lives Matter movement and vaccines -- none grounded in reality.
    Trump is revered among the conspiracy's followers, who believe he was recruited to help eliminate the controlling criminal conspiracy they allege is gripping the world's power structures.

Trump did not seem entirely familiar with all that on Wednesday. Instead he focused on the group's praise for him -- which was enough, apparently, to overlook the cultish beliefs.

Asked if he believed the crux of the theory, described by a reporter as the belief that the President "is secretly saving the world from this satanic cult of pedophiles and cannibals," Trump said: "Well, I haven't heard that, but is that supposed to be a bad thing or a good thing?"

"If I can help save the world from problems, I'm willing to do it," he went on. "I'm willing to put myself out there. And we are, actually, we're saving the world from a radical left philosophy that will destroy this country."

At the congressional level, Republicans have at least three nominees who have been sympathetic or supportive of the group: Jo Rae Perkins, the GOP nominee for a Senate seat in Oregon; Marjorie Taylor Greene, who won a primary runoff for Georgia's 14th District last week; and Lauren Boebert, who beat a Trump-backed, five-term incumbent in the primary in Colorado's 3rd District in June. Greene and Boebert are running in districts where Republicans are favored. ​

Asked earlier Wednesday about Trump's support for QAnon, his press secretary insisted it wasn't a matter she'd ever heard him discuss.

"I've never heard of that. There's a lot of media focus on that but certainly never heard of that from the President," press secretary Kayleigh McEnany said.
    She described the President's support for anti-Muslim candidates like Laura Loomer, who won a primary in Florida on Tuesday, and Greene as automatic because they are Republicans.

"The President routinely congratulates people who officially get the Republican nomination for Congress, so he does that as a matter of course," McEnany said. "He hasn't done a deep dive into the statements by these two particular women. I don't know if he's even seen that. But he supports the Muslim community, he supports the community of faith more broadly in this country."

The campaign of Democratic nominee Joe Biden responded to Trump's comments, accusing the President of "giving voice to violence."

"After calling neo-Nazis and white supremacists in Charlottesville 'fine people' and tear gassing peaceful protesters following the murder of George Floyd, Donald Trump just sought to legitimize a conspiracy theory that the FBI has identified as a domestic terrorism threat," campaign spokesman Andrew Bates said in a statement. "Our country needs leadership that will bring us together more than ever to form a more perfect union."

© Copyright Original Source

Last edited by shunyadragon; 08-31-2020, 07:40 AM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

So no more "Russia! Russia! Russia!" This time around, the narrative is "QAnon! QAnon! QAnon!"

All I see is "Desperate! Desperate! Desperate!"
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      It overwhelmingly apparent that Trump praises and supports extreme groups that aupport him and vote for hime regardless of the 'extreme dangerous views they represent."
      Shoddy attempt at journalism by CNN. No surprise that you're lapping it up - it plays to your obsession with Trump. Four more years of him is going to really mess with you. Why do you let him bother you so much?
      ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        So no more "Russia! Russia! Russia!" This time around, the narrative is "QAnon! QAnon! QAnon!"

The reference is very accurate with direct citations from Trump.

Well, ah . . . than we have Manafort and Flynn in bed with the Russians, and Trumps deep admoration of Putin.
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
          Shoddy attempt at journalism by CNN. No surprise that you're lapping it up - it plays to your obsession with Trump. Four more years of him is going to really mess with you. Why do you let him bother you so much?
          Failure to respond to the the very accurate references with direct citations from Trump. Neglecting that Trump cheek warmed a representative of Qanon in the White House.

Frank

Comment

Also from FOX News, The FOX video is very very revealing.

Source: https://www.foxnews.com/transcript/trump-praises-supporters-of-qanon-conspiracy-theory

Trump praises supporters of QAnon conspiracy theory

BRET BAIER, FOX NEWS ANCHOR: Hi, Jesse. I want to point out that it was Martha not Dana with the dog choice. All right, thank you.

WATERS: Thank you.

BAIER: Good evening, I'm Bret Baier. Coming to you live tonight from Wilmington, Delaware. They already started the music here. Home of the Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden and tonight, the center of the political universe.

Breaking tonight in about four hours, the longtime senator from the second smallest state in the nation and former vice president will accept his party's nomination in the Chase Center behind me.

As I said, they're getting the music ready. He's accepting it for the biggest job in the world potentially.

We have Fox team coverage tonight. John Roberts at the White House with the president's version of counter programming, a trip to a spot just outside Biden's birthplace of Scranton, Pennsylvania with a pointed political punch there.

But we begin with correspondent Peter Doocy here in Wilmington tonight. Got a rare glimpse of the Democratic nominee today. Good evening, Peter.

© Copyright Original Source

Read on and listen to the video. The only response to far is . . . "All I see is "Desperate! Desperate! Desperate!"

Frank

Comment

Failure to respond to the the very accurate references with direct citations from Trump. Neglecting that Trump cheek warmed a representative of Qanon in the White House.
              So specifically cite Trump's words from the OP that (a) praise and (b) support this 'extreme group'.

NB: 'Extreme' here means 'pushing back against what left-wing journos feel everyone else should think'. And 'group' is a bit of a misnomer when it comes to QAnon, which is more a collection of people who find the QAnon drops interesting/amusing/provocative/a puzzle, plus some who think it's all a counter-action against the Deep state
              ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

YAY!!!! Another OMB Thread!!!!
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                  So specifically cite Trump's words from the OP that (a) praise and (b) support this 'extreme group'.

NB: 'Extreme' here means 'pushing back against what left-wing journos feel everyone else should think'. And 'group' is a bit of a misnomer when it comes to QAnon, which is more a collection of people who find the QAnon drops interesting/amusing/provocative/a puzzle, plus some who think it's all a counter-action against the Deep state
                  Trump is directly cited in the first article, and referenced by FOX News, and an audience in the White House.

Did you listen and watch the FOX video?

It is interesting that y0u consider dangerous 'extreme right wing groups with the polite euphamism 'pushing back against what left-wing journos'

You are misrepresenting and minimizing the danderous reality of Qanon.
                  Last edited by shunyadragon; 08-31-2020, 09:01 AM.

Frank

Comment

Trump is directly cited in the first article, and referenced by FOX News, and an audience in the White House.

Did you listen and watch the FOX video?
                    "I don't know much about the movement other than I understand they like me very much, which I appreciate."

Yeah, that sure is some endorsement.

Comment

"I don't know much about the movement other than I understand they like me very much, which I appreciate."

Yeah, that sure is some endorsement.
                      I guess by the statement above you consider Trump deaf, blind and illiterate that he is not aware of the nature of the groups he supports.

I believe the FOX News video is specific and clear.

Frank

Comment

Wow, Shuny and a lot of the liberals are really worked up about this Q-Anonsense.

These are internet trolls for the most part and a bunch of gullible housewives and nutjobs on facebook. Who cares what they believe? They don't seem to be dangerous, just crazy. I am sure there are nutjobs who support Biden too, that doesn't make Biden a nutjob, does it? Leaving aside the fact that he is a nutjob all on his own, of course.

Comment

The reference is very accurate with direct citations from Trump.
                          I'm still looking for the part you think is bad on Trump's behalf. At worst, he said he's grateful for support. That's just downright horror film material right there

Well, ah . . . than
                          Then

we have Manafort and Flynn in bed with the Russians
                          As are Clinton, the Bidens, Bill Gates, McDonalds, Starbucks, and a host of other businesspeople who, you know, do business in Russia.

, and Trumps deep admoration of Putin.
                          Admiration. As opposed to Hillary's grand "Reset Button"?
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I guess by the statement above you consider Trump deaf, blind and illiterate that he is not aware of the nature of the groups he supports.

Show me the part where Trump 'supports' the group, rather than just making a dumb comment about them liking him.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm dialed into politics probably more than anybody I know, and even I don't know much about qanon other than it seems to be little more than the latest liberal bogeyman.

Comment