Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Is POTUS Allowed to Do This?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is POTUS Allowed to Do This?

Trump seems to have multiple instances of interfering with business decisions using his office. The latest is Goodyear:

https://imgur.com/gallery/mUO9CxA

Is this just another example of Trump being “Twitter stupid” or should this establish a precedent for presidents to retaliate against businesses that don’t like POTUS? I’d wager no future president would be this blatant and petty but act more dignified.

I don’t know anything bout this ban, but I think it’s for the good of those who might not be thinking of the implications of stirring controversy in the workplace, Trump being the most divisive POTUS in recent memory.

Goodyear is a major manufacturer in a key swing state. I have to question the political wisdom.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      Goodyear is a major manufacturer in a key swing state. I have to question the political wisdom.
      and Goodyear is also the official supplier of tires for the Presidential limo and the Secret Service.

I assume Trump will ordering the destruction of all Goodyear tires which are on government vehicles. But that's OK, I'm sure Korean and Japanese tire companies will appreciate all the government business Trump will be throwing their way.
      "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
      "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        He could have just as easily said that Goodyear banned MAGA hats and left it at that. That would have been appropriate and even looked shrewd and wise.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
          Trump seems to have multiple instances of interfering with business decisions using his office. The latest is Goodyear:

Is this just another example of Trump being “Twitter stupid” or should this establish a precedent for presidents to retaliate against businesses that don’t like POTUS? I’d wager no future president would be this blatant and petty but act more dignified.

I don’t know anything bout this ban, but I think it’s for the good of those who might not be thinking of the implications of stirring controversy in the workplace, Trump being the most divisive POTUS in recent memory.
          The dignification of Joe is not in evidence.

C'mon man, poor kids buy Goodyear tires too, and you ain't black if you don't know.

Comment

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

So Trump is following the left's cancel culture model, interesting...
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Obama got a GM to retire by requesting it. He also put pressure on BP to create a $20 Billion Spill Fund and suspend dividends to shareholders. He put pressure on banks to make home loans to those with weaker credit

Seems that the presidency does have that sort of power.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
                  Obama got a GM to retire by requesting it. He also put pressure on BP to create a $20 Billion Spill Fund and suspend dividends to shareholders. He put pressure on banks to make home loans to those with weaker credit

Seems that the presidency does have that sort of power.
                  You'd compare the BP spill fund to this?
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post
                    and Goodyear is also the official supplier of tires for the Presidential limo and the Secret Service.

I assume Trump will ordering the destruction of all Goodyear tires which are on government vehicles. But that's OK, I'm sure Korean and Japanese tire companies will appreciate all the government business Trump will be throwing their way.
                    Your point led my imagination to the race cars. Can you see the President's limo with decals of its sponsors: Goodyear, Shell, Pennzoil, and GoDaddy?

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                      You'd compare the BP spill fund to this?
                      The question was whether they could do it, not whether it was the right thing to do.

So, yes. I would compare the actions, which were both interfering with boardroom decisions.

Comment

He could have just as easily said that Goodyear banned MAGA hats and left it at that. That would have been appropriate and even looked shrewd and wise.
                        Actually, it's more than just the MAGA hats --- it's MAGA "attire", listed as third under two other items....

goodyear.jpg

So, this was dumb on Trump's part - he should have focused on the Blue Lives Matter, if he needed to focus on anything at all.

And it's REALLY dumb [and hypocritical] on Goodyear's part, because they say that BLM is acceptable, but "political affiliated slogans or material" is not.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Didn't the Democrats just try to boycott Goya because they liked Trump?

I think all politicians should avoid doing such things.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Didn't the Democrats just try to boycott Goya because they liked Trump?

I think all politicians should avoid doing such things.
                            That's different, don't ya know.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              Actually, it's more than just the MAGA hats --- it's MAGA "attire", listed as third under two other items....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47827[/ATTACH]

So, this was dumb on Trump's part - he should have focused on the Blue Lives Matter, if he needed to focus on anything at all.

And it's REALLY dumb [and hypocritical] on Goodyear's part, because they say that BLM is acceptable, but "political affiliated slogans or material" is not.
                              It's that "it's all about me" mindset that gets in his way more than anything else.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment