Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Another Win For Gun Rights...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Win For Gun Rights...

By the Ninth Circuit no less!

The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals on Friday struck down California’s ban on high-capacity magazines on the basis that its restrictions violate the Second Amendment -- noting that it would criminalize half the magazines in the U.S.

The state’s law bans possession of large-capacity magazines (LCMs) that hold more than 10 rounds. The court’s three-judge panel said that while the law has a “laudable goal of reducing gun violence,” it must also comply with the Constitution.

“California’s near-categorical ban of LCMs infringes on the fundamental right to self-defense. It criminalizes the possession of half of all magazines in America today,” the majority in the 2-1 ruling stated.

“It makes unlawful magazines that are commonly used in handguns by law abiding citizens for self-defense. And it substantially burdens the core right of self-defense guaranteed to the people under the Second Amendment,” Judge Kenneth Lee wrote in the majority opinion. “It cannot stand.”

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/fed...-2nd-amendment
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Why does regulations about high-capacity clips infringe on the constitution but fully-automatic gun regulations do not?

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
      Why does regulations about high-capacity clips infringe on the constitution but fully-automatic gun regulations do not?
      Well they make it illegal to own high-capacity "magazines." I think the Court doesn't believe that a State has that right. And you can own a fully auto firearm with a federal firearm permit.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        Well they make it illegal to own high-capacity "magazines." I think the Court doesn't believe that a State has that right. And you can own a fully auto firearm with a federal firearm permit.
        Huh, I thought in past discussions about fully automatic rifles it was explained to me that people almost never get those permits and they still come with a lot of restrictions?

Comment

Huh, I thought in past discussions about fully automatic rifles it was explained to me that people almost never get those permits and they still come with a lot of restrictions?
          They are more difficult to get, but can't be denied if you meet the requirements.

Comment

They are more difficult to get, but can't be denied if you meet the requirements.
            What are the requirements for a typical adult US citize to purchase a newly produced fully-automatic M-16?

Comment

What are the requirements for a typical adult US citize to purchase a newly produced fully-automatic M-16?
              You have to have a Federal Fire Arms License, which are difficult to get but not impossible. I know a couple of guys who have them.

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/...-10-easy-steps

https://gunsandamerica.org/story/18/...00-in-the-u-s/
              Last edited by seer; 08-15-2020, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Do California gun owners often find themselves in a situation where they have to kill more than 10 people at a time?

Out of curiosity, how long does it take to remove an empty ten shot clip from an assault rifle and replace it with a second full clip?
                "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
                "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment

You have to have a Federal Fire Arms License, which are difficult to get but not impossible. I know a couple of guys who have them.

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/...-10-easy-steps

https://gunsandamerica.org/story/18/...00-in-the-u-s/
                  Actually your link makes it quite clear that it is illegal for US Citizens to purchase a newly built M-16. There is a provision that allows a citizen to purchase an old machine gun from before 1986 though.

Comment

Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post
                    Do California gun owners often find themselves in a situation where they have to kill more than 10 people at a time?

Out of curiosity, how long does it take to remove an empty ten shot clip from an assault rifle and replace it with a second full clip?
                    You watch too much TV, you would be extremely lucky to kill 10 people with 10 shots. Most people miss in stressful situations and rarely is someone incapacitated with a single shot. And just watching the goings on recently in the news where we see violent demonstrators invading private property, yes, having a high capacity magazine is important.

And the time it takes to pop out a magazine and insert another could be the difference between you living and dying.
                    Last edited by Sparko; 08-15-2020, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post
                      Guess you haven't seen the news recently about the rioting and killings by rioters. If you have a crowd of 20 people busting down your door and setting your house on fire, you're gonna need more than 10 shots.

Hell, even if you've got one person breaking down your door, you're gonna need more than one shot (preferably a good deal more) unless you're an expert marksman under pressure (hint: unless you hit a few certain places, you ain't killing someone with a single shot). There are plenty of examples of 4+ robbery teams working together, you're gonna want more than 2 bullets for each.
                      Magazine, not clip. Common mistake by people who don't know guns.

If you've practiced a LOT with that, you could maybe do something in a couple seconds. I'd rather not be fumbling in a life or death situation when someone can use those couple seconds to grapple me instead of getting the 11th bullet in my 30 round mag.

Comment

Actually your link makes it quite clear that it is illegal for US Citizens to purchase a newly built M-16. There is a provision that allows a citizen to purchase an old machine gun from before 1986 though.
                        While I haven't seen one in a few decades, I know that "ordinary citizens" can indeed legally own/fire fully automatic weapons. During one my my summer jobs while at college, my Dad's friend took me shooting. He was a federally-licensed dealer of automatic weapons. We played around with an uzi, a Mac-10 and I think there was a .50 cal in his car trunk.

There's no doubt that regulations have changed here in the last 30 years, but I'm pretty sure ownership/use is still possible, though pretty rare in my part of the country (northeast)

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                          While I haven't seen one in a few decades, I know that "ordinary citizens" can indeed legally own/fire fully automatic weapons. During one my my summer jobs while at college, my Dad's friend took me shooting. He was a federally-licensed dealer of automatic weapons. We played around with an uzi, a Mac-10 and I think there was a .50 cal in his car trunk.

There's no doubt that regulations have changed here in the last 30 years, but I'm pretty sure ownership/use is still possible, though pretty rare in my part of the country (northeast)
                          Were these made before or after 1986?

Comment

Were these made before or after 1986?
                            "Made"?

I can't be sure, but given that I went shooting with Tony somewhere between 1987 and 1990, I'm guessing afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                              "Made"?

I can't be sure, but given that I went shooting with Tony somewhere between 1987 and 1990, I'm guessing afterwards.
                              That's just the thing, I'm seeing that you're only allowed to purchase fully-automatic weapons from before 1986 in all the links seer provided. It's meant for gun collectors and hobbyists basically. Not for self-defense. It acts as a defacto loop hole though for that purpose.

Comment