Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Postoffices are quietly getting rid of sorting machines head of election.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Recorded ballot counts in 72% of Detroit's absentee voting precincts didn't match the number of ballots cast, spurring officials in Michigan's largest county to ask the state to investigate ahead of a pivotal presidential election.

Without an explanation from Detroit election workers for the mismatches, the Wayne County Board of Canvassers requested this week for Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson's office to examine the "training and processes" used in Detroit's Aug. 4 primary, which one official described as a "perfect storm" of challenges. The board is charged with certifying election results.

In 46% of all Detroit's precincts — absentee and Election Day — vote counts were out of balance, according to information presented Tuesday to the Wayne County Board of Canvassers. Specifically, the number of ballots tracked in precinct poll books did not match the number of ballots counted.

The situation could amplify the spotlight on absentee ballots in Michigan ahead of an election for which record levels of mail-in voting are expected and President Donald Trump is already raising concerns about how votes will be handled.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...ms/5616629002/

Source: same article a little farter in

Similar things happen in every election, she added, and they're the result of a labor-intensive process and people making mistakes after working 20 hours in a day.

Detroit's voting problems in 2016 led to a Michigan Bureau of Elections audit of 136 of the city's most irregular precincts, which found an "an abundance of human errors" but no evidence of "pervasive voter fraud." There were 216 questionable votes that resulted in a net overvote of 40 ballots — or 40 more ballots cast than voters.

© Copyright Original Source

Recounts of any form always come up with different final values. Human error is part of the process. But it is random, and it doesn't matter unless an election is very, very close.

However, with as much distrust as there is floating about now (and more every day is the Trump goal), such errors will always become suspected fraud.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      Source: same article a little farter in

Similar things happen in every election, she added, and they're the result of a labor-intensive process and people making mistakes after working 20 hours in a day.

Detroit's voting problems in 2016 led to a Michigan Bureau of Elections audit of 136 of the city's most irregular precincts, which found an "an abundance of human errors" but no evidence of "pervasive voter fraud." There were 216 questionable votes that resulted in a net overvote of 40 ballots — or 40 more ballots cast than voters.

© Copyright Original Source

Recounts of any form always come up with different final values. Human error is part of the process. But it is random, and it doesn't matter unless an election is very, very close.

However, with as much distrust as there is floating about now (and more every day is the Trump goal), such errors will always become suspected fraud.
      Right... human error. And what a coincidence that those "human errors" in 2016 happened in every single precinct that Hillary won.

(2016) Detailed reports from the office of Wayne County Clerk Cathy Garrett show optical scanners at 248 of the city’s 662 precincts, or 37 percent, tabulated more ballots than the number of voters tallied by workers in the poll books. [...]

Overall, state records show 10.6 percent of the precincts in the 22 counties that began the retabulation process couldn’t be recounted because of state law that bars recounts for unbalanced precincts or ones with broken seals.

The problems were the worst in Detroit, where discrepancies meant officials couldn’t recount votes in 392 precincts, or nearly 60 percent. And two-thirds of those precincts had too many votes.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...ncts/95363314/

So it's just business as usual for Michigan, only it looks like they've doubled their rate of "human errors".

Pro-tip, ox: if someone offers to sell you a bridge in Brooklyn, you tell him no. I feel the need to tell you this because you seem to be a particularly gullible person.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Right... human error. And what a coincidence that those "human errors" in 2016 happened in every single precinct that Hillary won.

(2016) Detailed reports from the office of Wayne County Clerk Cathy Garrett show optical scanners at 248 of the city’s 662 precincts, or 37 percent, tabulated more ballots than the number of voters tallied by workers in the poll books. [...]

Overall, state records show 10.6 percent of the precincts in the 22 counties that began the retabulation process couldn’t be recounted because of state law that bars recounts for unbalanced precincts or ones with broken seals.

The problems were the worst in Detroit, where discrepancies meant officials couldn’t recount votes in 392 precincts, or nearly 60 percent. And two-thirds of those precincts had too many votes.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...ncts/95363314/

So it's just business as usual for Michigan, only it looks like they've doubled their rate of "human errors".

Pro-tip, ox: if someone offers to sell you a bridge in Brooklyn, you tell him no. I feel the need to tell you this because you seem to be a particularly gullible person.
        sarcasm is not an argument.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
          Nope, all the actual recount studies showed Bush still winning Florida. Common myth though.

And your boy Joe voted in favor of that debacle.
          Based on faulty intelligence proffered by the Bush administration.

Comment

• Originally posted by whag View Post
            Based on faulty intelligence proffered by the Bush administration.
            Which would mean Biden believed it.
            P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

sarcasm is not an argument.
              However, a solid argument can be presented in a sarcastic manner, as I ably demonstrated.

Comment

• Just a little FYI those of you that are in one sense or another defending this administration and DeJoy's attempts to sabotage the USPS:

In my extended family are 3 type I diabetics in one immediate family who rely on the USPS to deliver their medication. Before what Trump and Dejoy have done, it took 2 days for the post office to deliver their medication. They have now been waiting over 2 weeks and still have not received it. They hope to have it by Thursday. This is directly related to what DeJoy has done.

This is what Trump and Dejoy are willing to do to sabotage the November election. Put people in serious medical need in jeopardy. And we all heard Dejoy earlier this week "No I will NOT ...". There will be no attempt in the near future to restore that 2 day turn around. 2 weeks or more is now the norm.
                Last edited by oxmixmudd; 08-25-2020, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Just a little FYI those of you that are in one sense or another defending this administration and DeJoy's attempts to sabotage the USPS...
                  Begging the question. There is zero evidence that the intent was to sabotage anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    Well, actually it depends upon which after analysis study you go by, i.e. how do you determine the voters intent with respect to hanging chads. Bush wins in one scenario, Gore wins in the other. According to one standard of analysis, Bush would have won, in the other Gore would have won. The larger study supports the theory that more peoplein Florida intended to vote for Gore than for Bush, and even the Republican senior adviser to Secretary of state Katherine Harris, John Stipanovich admitted to that. So, we'll never know for sure, but the outcome turned out to be disastrous for the country nevertheless.
                    The study shows that the recount applying under the standard that Gore wanted, Bush won.

Comment

Begging the question. There is zero evidence that the intent was to sabotage anything.
                      Your cold callousness is duly noted, but not a surprise. And if the intent was not to sabotage, then he is incompetent to a degree that requires he be dismissed immediately anyway. At no time in my lifetime has such a massive degradation in the performance of the postal system be seen in so short a period of time. I noticed it at the beginning of July when my car payment (which is sent by mail due to the backward nature of the bank holding the loan) took almost two weeks longer to arrive than the month before.

Such 'incompetence' would never have been tolerated by Trump (in that he fires at a whim) except in that it serves Trump's desired end.

Comment

Your cold callousness is duly noted...
                        How does it make me cold and callous to point out the fact that we have no evidence of an intent to sabotage? As for incompetent, I suppose you could make that argument, but as far as I can see, this story started and ended with "Trump! ", so I'm not even sure the accusation of incompetence is warranted in light of the absence of any facts or objective analysis. Surely you can do better than personal anecdotes and unfounded and self-serving suspicion.

Comment

How does it make me cold and callous to point out the fact that we have no evidence of an intent to sabotage? As for incompetent, I suppose you could make that argument, but as far as I can see, this story started and ended with "Trump! ", so I'm not even sure the accusation of incompetence is warranted in light of the absence of any facts or objective analysis. Surely you can do better than personal anecdotes and unfounded and self-serving suspicion.
                          It's cold because you are indifferent to the suffering of millions as they wait weeks for necessary medications across this country.

They are not 'personal anecdotes', they are the reality. Delivery time for the postal service crashed in early July due to what Dejoy is doing to it. And if it were merely incompetence - i.e. not something trump wanted to happen - it is so extreme he'd be gone. That is how we know Trump is 'ok with it'.

And only an absolute idiot would believe that DeJoy et al would not be aware of the fact that dismantling the equipment and infrastructure that makes fast delivery of the mail possible would not effect both the current mail delivery times and reliability but also the capacity of the USPS to deal in a timely manner with the huge volume of mail that voting by mail will require.

Again, your dishonesty shines ever so brightly in cases like this.

Comment

It's cold because you are indifferent to the suffering of millions...
                            Not at all. I'm simply pointing out what appears to be a false accusation on your part. If you're going to accuse the president's administration of sabotage then I would expect you to bring some strong evidence to support the charge.

Here's the reality: the Post Office has been hemorrhaging money for decades.

The Postal Service -- which is supposed to operate independently based on funding from the postal fees it charges -- has been losing money for years. Due to email and other forms of communication, we send about 30% fewer letters each year than we did just a decade ago. To combat this, the Postal Service has been reducing its operating costs. That all makes sense.

[...]

Claims that mail sorting is being reduced and postboxes are being removed to disenfranchise voters are not backed by the facts. The cuts were in place for years -- going back to the Obama years, in fact. But that's not stopping the demagoguery. Pictures of mailboxes with locks on them -- found, ironically, to be many years old -- are going viral all over social media.

https://townhall.com/columnists/neil...versy-n2574782

"Am I the only one in this room who understands that we [the USPS] have a $10 billion a year loss?" DeJoy said, rebuking the House Democrats' campaign to blame problems with the USPS on the president. DeJoy went on to ask whether he was the only person present in the hearing who was concerned about reports from the Office of the Inspector General that were stacking up.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/ellieb...tion-n2574933/

Comment

Not at all. I'm simply pointing out what appears to be a false accusation on your part. If you're going to accuse the president's administration of sabotage then I would expect you to bring some strong evidence to support the charge.

The Postal Service -- which is supposed to operate independently based on funding from the postal fees it charges -- has been losing money for years. Due to email and other forms of communication, we send about 30% fewer letters each year than we did just a decade ago. To combat this, the Postal Service has been reducing its operating costs. That all makes sense.

[...]

Claims that mail sorting is being reduced and postboxes are being removed to disenfranchise voters are not backed by the facts. The cuts were in place for years -- going back to the Obama years, in fact. But that's not stopping the demagoguery. Pictures of mailboxes with locks on them -- found, ironically, to be many years old -- are going viral all over social media.

"Am I the only one in this room who understands that we [the USPS] have a $10 billion a year loss?" DeJoy said, rebuking the House Democrats' campaign to blame problems with the USPS on the president. DeJoy went on to ask whether he was the only person present in the hearing who was concerned about reports from the Office of the Inspector General that were stacking up.

And for years it has taken two weeks or more to get a letter through ....

oops.

Comment

[...]

Might I suggest you start linking to neutral media sources rather than townhall, washington examiner, and breitbart? If your intent is to persuade, you'd do a lot better to cite sources that don't have Trump campaign ads.

Comment