Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump explicitly floats idea of delaying the election ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I support waiting for all the facts before reaching a conclusion. This is only one side of the story. Remember the words of wise King Solomon: "One man's story will appear true, until someone else challenges it."
    Yes, the second part of your first post was indeed wrong. How good of you to adjust your comment accordingly.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      Not all that frequent, and they are mistakes, never intentional.

OTOH, never (except perhaps as an intentional and obvious joke) do I purposefully distort your posts or leave out critical content when which you do routinely.
      When you are just bloviating the same things over and over and over, yes, I tend to "cut to the chase". Nothing dishonest about that.

It isn't deceptive at all.
      Yes, it really is.

They used gas against them to disperse them. By some reports, both tear gas and pepper balls. Either way that they were gassed is simply a matter of public record.
      Which is not the same as "gassing them". That has implications far beyond crowd control.

Really? Rioting -> violence. I said you used the PRETENSE they were violent to justify the use of the gas. Nothing inaccurate there.

rioting
      /ˈrīədiNG/
      noun
      the violent disturbance of the peace by a crowd.
      You keep claiming it was a "peaceful" crowd --- look up that word, too.

I in fact, get most things right CP.

But to a fellow that thinks 2+2=5, most math looks 'wrong'.
      Math has finite demonstrable solutions --- a "peaceful protester". however, who, moments before, was INSIDE the fence trying to burn down the federal building, could easily convince an anti-Trump leftist "he was INNOCENTLY standing there!"

Yes they were.
      Nope. Were not.

Gas was used to disperse the crowd to make a way for trump over to the church so he could pretend his presidency and actions are somehow tied to the Bible.
      A) That's debatable
      2) It's still not proper to say that they were "gassed". That's a real kick in the teeth to holocaust survivors.

They were gassed to facilitate the photo op.
      That's one perspective, for which there's no actual proof.

There is nothing nice or non-violent or 'harmless' about tear gas and pepper gas. They just don't happen to be lethal. They were gassed.
      Nope. You're wrong again.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yes, the second part of your first post was indeed wrong. How good of you to adjust your comment accordingly.
        Nice of you to edit your post after I had already responded.

And, no, I wasn't wrong.

What your source says: "...the police must read the Miranda rights if they want to ask questions and use the answers as evidence at trial."

What I said: "You're given the waiver at the time you're questioned, not when you're arrested."

Seriously, man, are doing this on purpose?
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

And, no, I wasn't wrong.

What your source says: "...the police must read the Miranda rights if they want to ask questions and use the answers as evidence at trial."

What I said: "You're given the waiver at the time you're questioned, not when you're arrested."

Yeah, we had been over this in great detail.
          The whole bit about "arrested" doesn't necessarily mean "under arrest", and Miranda is only necessary as you state.
          If they're asking general information they don't intend to use at trial, there is no requirement or obligation to Marandize.

The whole "totally unidentified 'troops' kidnapped innocent people and stuffed them into unmarked vans to interrogate them without telling them what they were arrested for or reading their rights" is a stinking pile of horise poo on so many levels.

It's crazy Aunt Betty Drama Queen stuff.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• The narrative of the left demands that the vast majority of protesters be seen as "peaceful", and only a "tiny fraction" are "anarchists".

Logic would ask "what the heck are 'peaceful protesters' doing hanging out in a scene that we know turns violent every evening, and HAS been for TWO MONTHS"?

Second question - what, exactly, are the peaceful protesters protesting?

Comment

• Dump Trump and come back to Jesus:
              A left-leaning group focused on persuading religious Americans to vote out Donald Trump in November has recruited some of the president’s leading Republican agitators to assist them.

On Wednesday, Vote Common Good will launch a new partnership with the Lincoln Project, an anti-Trump GOP group founded by veteran Republican strategists, to mobilize faith voters to reject Trump on Election Day.

The initiative will focus on courting white evangelicals and white Catholics — two demographics Trump won by significant margins in 2016 — who have lost patience with the president’s behavior or been disappointed with his handling of the coronavirus pandemic and the Black Lives Matter protest movement against racism. The efforts will be concentrated in six battleground states — North Carolina, Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and Florida — where multiple polls have shown Trump trailing his Democratic rival, former Vice President Joe Biden.
              https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...e-biden-391427
              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
              “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

And, no, I wasn't wrong.

Seriously man, are you doing this on purpose?

So the issue is that these women were detained, at gunpoint, for no reason. They were not mirandized, but they were detained. They were not given a waiver to sign either. And this women was savvy enough to get all their badge numbers and names.

Again - so you support the police randomly detaining people for no known reason and not reading hem their rights and searching their vehicles without a warrent. These are two women out on a playdate with their kids. And you support that kind of violent confrontation from the police being legal without cause or provacation?
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Yeah, we had been over this in great detail.
                  No - we haven't.

The whole bit about "arrested" doesn't necessarily mean "under arrest", and Miranda is only necessary as you state.
                  If they're asking general information they don't intend to use at trial, there is no requirement or obligation to Marandize.

The whole "totally unidentified 'troops' kidnapped innocent people and stuffed them into unmarked vans to interrogate them without telling them what they were arrested for or reading their rights" is a stinking pile of horise poo on so many levels.

It's crazy Aunt Betty Drama Queen stuff.

So you support police being able to detain two women at gunpoint without cause all the while ignoring their little children are in the back of the car? They were handcuffed. They were not mirandized - so clearly they didn't intend to use any statements from them in court. And they were not allowed to comfort the children. So what were they doing, intimidating two black women randomly to make sure they never came back to the DC mall again? They also damaged their car, in case that part wasn't clear.

So the police - in your view - have the right to damage and search my property without reading me my rights, without having any sort of warrant, on even any probable cause to do so that they are required to make public?

It's interesting learning more and more about what you support CP. Seems to me you'd be more at home in Communist China or serving on the KGB than the in the US.

Comment

So you support police pointing guns at innocent civilians out taking their children to play in a fountain? You support the police being able to at gunpoint detain anyone, anywhere, without cause or reason?

The were handcuffed, therefore - at least according to this website:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/police-questioning-miranda-warnings-29930.html#:~:text=It%20doesn't%20matter%20whether ,ask%20questions%20and%20use%20the

Source: above

When the Miranda Warning Is Required
                    It doesn't matter whether an interrogation occurs in a jail, at the scene of a crime, on a busy downtown street, or the middle of an open field: If a person is in custody (deprived of his or her freedom of action in any significant way), the police must read the Miranda rights if they want to ask questions and use the answers as evidence at trial.

© Copyright Original Source

The key there is "if they want to ask questions and use the answers as evidence at trial".

There were handcuffed and held at the scene.
                    It is not at all unusual for police to stop somebody and even handcuff them for their own safety (the safety of the person being detained and the safety of the officer(s).
                    They are not necessarily "under arrest" until told they are "under arrest", and a reason is given.

Now, if the police have no intention of asking any question because they know the people the are searching and detaining have done nothing wrong ...
                    You don't get it - the police can ask anything they want, but if they intend to use the response AT TRIAL, they must Mirandize.
                    They do NOT have to Marandize if they're simply trying to obtain information that might indicate further action is needed - like an official arrest.

but that would be UNLAWFUL search and seizure.
                    No, it would not.

Comment

No - we haven't.
                      Yes, we most certainly have. It's more stuff you simply failed to read.

So you support police being able to detain two women at gunpoint without cause all the while ignoring their little children are in the back of the car? They were handcuffed. They were not mirandized - so clearly they didn't intend to use any statements from them in court. And they were not allowed to comfort the children. So what were they doing, intimidating two black women randomly to make sure they never came back to the DC mall again? They also damaged their car, in case that part wasn't clear.
                      Answered in my prior post.

So the police - in your view - have the right to damage and search my property without reading me my rights, without having any sort of warrant, on even any probable cause to do so that they are required to make public?
                      Never said that. They would need a reason to act, but no reading of rights is necessary. Are you actually familiar with what the Miranda Warning says?

It's interesting learning more and more about what you support CP.
                      I support the laws and Constitution of the United States of America -- you seem to defend anarchy and mayem at every turn, as long as it supports the OMB narrative.

Seems to me you'd be more at home in Communist China or serving on the KGB than the in the US.
                      That's how screwed up your head is, Jim.

Comment

• Once again.....

I find Nolo to be a pretty reliable source on the law, as opposed to somebody's emotional distortion of it. I posted this earlier for JimL....

Miranda Rights: What Happens If the Police Don't Read You Your Rights

Detentions and Arrests

An officer’s “brief and cursory” holding and questioning someone is a detention. An example is a cop stopping someone who is behaving suspiciously in order to ask a few questions. The suspect isn’t free to leave, but he also isn’t under arrest, at least until the officer develops probable cause. Another common example is an officer pulling over a driver for some kind of traffic or equipment violation.

An arrest, on the other hand, involves the police taking someone into custody through a more significant restraint on movement. The quintessential example involves the use of handcuffs and an advisement that the suspect is under arrest.

You’re walking down the street when a police officer orders you to halt and begins asking you questions. You’re pretty sure that you’re not free to leave. Does that mean that you’ve been arrested, or are you simply being detained?

In general, if a reasonable person in the suspect’s shoes wouldn’t feel free to leave an encounter with the police, then there’s been either a detention or an arrest. Determining which can be tough—and sometimes crucial. Suppose, for instance, that an officer has reasonable suspicion to detain someone, but not probable cause to arrest them. In the course of the encounter, the officer discovers incriminating evidence. In this situation, if the defense attorney persuades the court that, instead of merely detaining her, the officer arrested the suspect without probable cause, then the evidence may be inadmissible in court.

(For information about the level of suspicion police officers must have in order to detain or arrest, see What’s the difference between an arrest and a detention or “stop and frisk”?)

Comment

Yes, we most certainly have. It's more stuff you simply failed to read.

Answered in my prior post.

Never said that. They would need a reason to act, but no reading of rights is necessary. Are you actually familiar with what the Miranda Warning says?

I support the laws and Constitution of the United States of America -- you seem to defend anarchy and mayem at every turn, as long as it supports the OMB narrative.

That's how screwed up your head is, Jim.
                          Bottom line - you are defending this random confrontation by police on these innocent women out for a play date CP. You are doing it by trying to claim I don't understand what police are allowed to do. But in the process, you are saying that what these police did to these women is OK, no big deal, nothing to care about or be concerned about. That the fact police can block you in, point guns at you, terrify your children with no cause, no warrants, no reason, is OK.

And the only places I know of where that sort of abuse by police is OK are places like China and Russia. In the US, police need a reason to point a gun at you, block your car in, handcuff you and detain you.

Or are you saying we already are a police state and all those rights we are taught about in school just don't really exist?

Comment

Seriously man, are you doing this on purpose?

So the issue is that these women were detained, at gunpoint, for no reason. They were not mirandized, but they were detained. They were not given a waiver to sign either. And this women was savvy enough to get all their badge numbers and names.

Again - so you support the police randomly detaining people for no known reason and not reading hem their rights and searching their vehicles without a warrent. These are two women out on a playdate with their kids. And you support that kind of violent confrontation from the police being legal without cause or provacation?
                            This is only one side of the story. Remember the words of wise King Solomon: "One man's story will appear true, until someone else challenges it." Hard to tell what really happened when we don't have all the facts.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Bottom line - you are defending this random confrontation by police on these innocent women out for a play date CP.
                              Given your propensity to GROSSLY exaggerate situations, I doubt they were "out for a play date". I could be wrong, but your track record is quite spotty.

You are doing it by trying to claim I don't understand what police are allowed to do.
                              You don't.

But in the process, you are saying that what these police did to these women is OK, no big deal, nothing to care about or be concerned about.
                              No sir, I doubt your account.

That the fact police can block you in, point guns at you, terrify your children with no cause, no warrants, no reason, is OK.
                              I wasn't there, and I'd have to see more detail. Again, given your tendency to grossly exaggerate situations....

And the only places I know of where that sort of abuse by police is OK are places like China and Russia. In the US, police need a reason to point a gun at you, block your car in, handcuff you and detain you.
                              Yes, there needs to be a reason.

Or are you saying we already are a police state and all those rights we are taught about in school just don't really exist?
                              Jim, I REALLY REALLY wish I could trust your version of accounts.... I don't. I honestly don't believe much you say, because of your gross exaggeration and propensity to... um... "color" events.

Comment

Once again.....

I find Nolo to be a pretty reliable source on the law, as opposed to somebody's emotional distortion of it. I posted this earlier for JimL....

Miranda Rights: What Happens If the Police Don't Read You Your Rights

Detentions and Arrests

An officer’s “brief and cursory” holding and questioning someone is a detention. An example is a cop stopping someone who is behaving suspiciously in order to ask a few questions. The suspect isn’t free to leave, but he also isn’t under arrest, at least until the officer develops probable cause. Another common example is an officer pulling over a driver for some kind of traffic or equipment violation.

An arrest, on the other hand, involves the police taking someone into custody through a more significant restraint on movement. The quintessential example involves the use of handcuffs and an advisement that the suspect is under arrest.

You’re walking down the street when a police officer orders you to halt and begins asking you questions. You’re pretty sure that you’re not free to leave. Does that mean that you’ve been arrested, or are you simply being detained?

In general, if a reasonable person in the suspect’s shoes wouldn’t feel free to leave an encounter with the police, then there’s been either a detention or an arrest. Determining which can be tough—and sometimes crucial. Suppose, for instance, that an officer has reasonable suspicion to detain someone, but not probable cause to arrest them. In the course of the encounter, the officer discovers incriminating evidence. In this situation, if the defense attorney persuades the court that, instead of merely detaining her, the officer arrested the suspect without probable cause, then the evidence may be inadmissible in court.

(For information about the level of suspicion police officers must have in order to detain or arrest, see What’s the difference between an arrest and a detention or “stop and frisk”?)

What part of 'they were handcuffed' are you not comprehending:

Source: above

© Copyright Original Source

Not only were they cuffed, the police cruiser had been crashed into their fender to prevent the care from leaving, and a rifle was pointed at them.

But again, according to you, Police can do that sort of thing any time they want.

Comment