Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump's easiest path to victory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Whateverman View Post

You should have put the word fascinating in quotes....
    I was simply using the same adjective as Reepicheep, and I think it applies. No doubt there are many other adjectives that could be used in its place.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post
      I was simply using the same adjective as Reepicheep, and I think it applies. No doubt there are many other adjectives that could be used in its place.
      I'm hoping that the adjective "amusing" will describe Trump's post election behavior, but if Trump follows through on his threat to refuse to step down if he loses, then I suspect that "horrifying" will be more accurate.
      "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
      "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment

I was mostly being humorous. It definitely will be interesting, either way...

Comment

• Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post

I'm hoping that the adjective "amusing" will describe Trump's post election behavior, but if Trump follows through on his threat to refuse to step down if he loses, then I suspect that "horrifying" will be more accurate.
          Well I think we can ask the brave mounties from Canada to help pry Trump's hands from the desk in the oval orifice. I hear he has big hands. And we will need that Canadian mounty strength to rip the bad orange man out! He won't leave, be afraid!

Comment

• Originally posted by Maranatha View Post

Well I think we can ask the brave mounties from Canada to help pry Trump's hands from the desk in the oval orifice. I hear he has big hands.
            He doesn't.

He has tiny hands, with cocktail sausages for fingers...

Comment

• Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
              Trump also lies about his height, which he claims is 6' 3". Photographic evidence indicates that Trump is in actuality shorter than Prime Minister Trudeau, who in only 6' 2". I'd say Trump's true height is just a tad over 6' 1". Maybe Trump should take a page from Melania's play book, and start wearing 6 inch heals.

https://www.macleans.ca/news/world/t...om-his-height/

Comment

Well I think we can ask the brave mounties from Canada to help pry Trump's hands from the desk in the oval orifice.
                It may come to that, but I don't think so.

Trump is openly admitting that, if he loses the election, he will refuse to step down. He also refuses to promise that he won't resort to violence to keep himself in power. So the question becomes, who is Trump counting on to keep him in power?

The US senate is so alarmed by Trump's willingness to use violence to keep himself in power that they recently unanimously passed the following resolution:

"WHEREAS any disruption occasioned by the transfer of the executive power could produce results detrimental to the safety and well-being of the United States and its people... be it RESOLVED That the Senate (1) reaffirms its commitment to the orderly and peaceful transfer of power called for in the Constitution of the United States; and (2) intends that there should be no disruptions by the President or any person in power to overturn the will of the people of the United States."

So, clearly Trump can't rely on the Senate to authorize his use of force.

The US military also felt it was necessary to assure Congress that the military will not take part in any effort by Trump to throw out the United States Constitution, and that the military will refuse to support Trump if he were, for example, to declare himself dictator for life. America's most senior general, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Mark Milley, sent a Congress a letter which reads, in part:

"The Constitution and laws of the US and the states establish procedures for carrying out elections, and for resolving disputes over the outcome of elections... I do not see the US military as part of this process,.. In the event of a dispute over some aspect of the elections, by law U.S. courts and the U.S. Congress are required to resolve any disputes, not the U.S. Military,"

So, who is Trump relying on to backup his threat of violence? Clearly, he can count on his good friend Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin to do everything in Russia's power including, I suspect, the use of nuclear weapons to keep Trump as US president. It remains to be seen who the Americans who voted for Trump will ally themselves with in the upcoming brutal civil war fought by Trump and Putin against the US Congress and the US military.

So, Maranatha, getting back to your query about the role Canada will have in the upcoming US Civil War, while it is true that Canadians have a long, proud history of serving as Peacekeepers (and, in some cases, Peacemakers) going back to Prime Minister Lester Pearson who was instrumental in setting up the UN Emergency Force back in 1956, I suspect that your upcoming Civil War will initially be far too violent for any efforts at Canadian peacekeeping to be effective. I suspect our main role, at least initially, will be to provide aid to the tens of millions of American refugees who will be seeking sanctuary in Canada.
                Last edited by Reepicheep; 09-26-2020, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Trump is openly admitting that, if he loses the election, he will refuse to step down.
                  That is an overstatement.

What he is doing is refusing to reassure people that he will step down peacefully if he loses the election. This is partly because he likes to stir things up, and divert attention from more important issues.

But it's also a result of his refusal to admit the possibility that he could lose a fair election. It's magical thinking: if you admit you could lose, then you will lose; if you don't admit you could lose, then you will win.

Comment

It may come to that, but I don't think so.

Trump is openly admitting that, if he loses the election, he will refuse to step down. He also refuses to promise that he won't resort to violence to keep himself in power. So the question becomes, who is Trump counting on to keep him in power?

The US senate is so alarmed by Trump's willingness to use violence to keep himself in power that they recently unanimously passed the following resolution:

"WHEREAS any disruption occasioned by the transfer of the executive power could produce results detrimental to the safety and well-being of the United States and its people... be it RESOLVED That the Senate (1) reaffirms its commitment to the orderly and peaceful transfer of power called for in the Constitution of the United States; and (2) intends that there should be no disruptions by the President or any person in power to overturn the will of the people of the United States."

So, clearly Trump can't rely on the Senate to authorize his use of force.

The US military also felt it was necessary to assure Congress that the military will not take part in any effort by Trump to throw out the United States Constitution, and that the military will refuse to support Trump if he were, for example, to declare himself dictator for life. America's most senior general, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Mark Milley, sent a Congress a letter which reads, in part:

"The Constitution and laws of the US and the states establish procedures for carrying out elections, and for resolving disputes over the outcome of elections... I do not see the US military as part of this process,.. In the event of a dispute over some aspect of the elections, by law U.S. courts and the U.S. Congress are required to resolve any disputes, not the U.S. Military,"

So, who is Trump relying on to backup his threat of violence? Clearly, he can count on his good friend Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin to do everything in Russia's power including, I suspect, the use of nuclear weapons to keep Trump as US president. It remains to be seen who the Americans who voted for Trump will ally themselves with in the upcoming brutal civil war fought by Trump and Putin against the US Congress and the US military.

So, Maranatha, getting back to your query about the role Canada will have in the upcoming US Civil War, while it is true that Canadians have a long, proud history of serving as Peacekeepers (and, in some cases, Peacemakers) going back to Prime Minister Lester Pearson who was instrumental in setting up the UN Emergency Force back in 1956, I suspect that your upcoming Civil War will initially be far too violent for any efforts at Canadian peacekeeping to be effective. I suspect our main role, at least initially, will be to provide aid to the tens of millions of American refugees who will be seeking sanctuary in Canada.
                    I'm thinking only brave mounties can do the job now. The american forces are under the sway of Jedi mind tricks since troops are coming home and peace is breaking out.

​​​​​​I fear that your fear of a US civil war is as founded as canada is tropical. It's a nice thought anyway.

When General Whatsisface orders the First Tiny Battalion to overtake the block or two from the rebel forces, I might miss it if I don't look at my phone for an hour. The second civil war would be upon me and I might miss it!

It's ok though, canada will still have you, you brave internet warrior you.

Comment

That is an overstatement...
                      Perhaps. But then the question becomes: why did the Senate feel it necessary to pass a unanimous resolution stating that the Senate will not allow "any disruptions by the President" during the November election? And why did the highest ranking member of the US military feel it was necessary to reassure congress that the military will refuse to take part in determining the outcome of the election?

Comment

Perhaps. But then the question becomes: why did the Senate feel it necessary to pass a unanimous resolution stating that the Senate will not allow "any disruptions by the President" during the November election? And why did the highest ranking member of the US military feel it was necessary to reassure congress that the military will refuse to take part in determining the outcome of the election?
                        Because Trump says things like he might run in 2024, 2028 and beyond, and people like you are oh so serious about it and start wringing your hands. That's why.

Comment

Because Trump says things like he might run in 2024, 2028 and beyond, and people like you are oh so serious about it and start wringing your hands. That's why.
                          It is pretty clear that the Senate and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff were responding to Trump's threatened use of violence in the 2020 election, and not responding to a hypothetical threat Trump might make 4 or 8 years in the future.

I'm a Canadian, so I very much doubt that the US Senate and military care what "people like me" think.

Comment

• I hope you recognize that you're getting lectured by someone who's claimed to value the US Constitution, someone who now mocks you for not ignoring a sitting US president who's said he wants to violate that document.

Comment

That's a good question.

It might be that they are actually afraid that Trump would refuse to step down if he loses, and they want to convince him that he has no other choice.

Or maybe they see that a lot of people are upset that Trump refuses to acknowledge that he would step down if he loses, and they want to reassure the public.

Personally, I think the latter is more likely.

Comment

I'm a Canadian, so I very much doubt that the US Senate and military care what "people like me" think.
                                That would be true for nearly every american.

Just wait until Trump 2024. People are gonna lose their minds man.

Comment