Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why Must They Try And Control Everything?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    It is not at all clear what this post is in response to, nor what it actually intends to say.
    Yeah.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It is not at all clear what this post is in response to, nor what it actually intends to say.
      It was partially intended for you. You have stated that what the school administrators have done - measuring the weight and calculating a result as a measure of obseity - is "beyond the scope of their business. If it is none of their business it is, in a case like this at any rate, an invasion of privacy".

My point is that merely stating your opinion without giving any reason why the opinion should be held is hardly likely to convince others, or be taken seriously by them.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
        It was partially intended for you. You have stated that what the school administrators have done - measuring the weight and calculating a result as a measure of obseity - is "beyond the scope of their business. If it is none of their business it is, in a case like this at any rate, an invasion of privacy".

My point is that merely stating your opinion without giving any reason why the opinion should be held is hardly likely to convince others, or be taken seriously by them.
        If you paid me for a service, say computer consulting, and I didn't perform that service well, but voluntarily performed an alternate service, say advising you that you were overweight, would you smile and thank me?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          If you paid me for a service, say computer consulting, and I didn't perform that service well, but voluntarily performed an alternate service, say advising you that you were overweight, would you smile and thank me?
          How about you try to make a substantial argument regarding the role of public schools?

Comment

Pap, you are not usually this "slow." What is any of the discussion of the role of public schools besides opinion? We have a right to privacy when it comes to murdering unborn babies (according to liberals) but not when it comes to limiting the role of schools to teaching (a role they are failing at and spending tons of money to do it).
            Last edited by Jedidiah; 05-31-2014, 08:16 PM.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

How about you try to make a substantial argument regarding the role of public schools?
              How bout you quit playing dumb and acting so condescending?

Public schools should produce students who are literate and can contribute to society. Currently, the US isn't doing so hot in this area.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                How bout you quit playing dumb and acting so condescending?

Public schools should produce students who are literate and can contribute to society. Currently, the US isn't doing so hot in this area.
                It's hardly my fault that you're not producing any cogent argument. Sure, that is the role of all schools. But should the role be limited only to that? You haven't made any positive argument for why the school should not make reports about the students' weight - which of course takes very little time.

Comment

Pap, you are not usually this "slow." What is any of the discussion of the role of public schools besides opinion? We have a right to privacy when it comes to murdering unborn babies (according to liberals) but not when it comes to limiting the role of schools to teaching (a role they are failing at and spending tons of money to do it).
                  You have yet to demonstrate why it is an invasion of privacy. Mere assertions do not suffice.

Comment

It's hardly my fault that you're not producing any cogent argument.
                    It IS your fault that you just want to be snarky and pedantic about it.

Sure, that is the role of all schools.
                    Excellent!

But should the role be limited only to that?
                    I would probably be less critical of their "extracurricular" interests if they were doing a decent job of what should be their MAIN focus.

You haven't made any positive argument for why the school should not make reports about the students' weight - which of course takes very little time.
                    I'm not as concerned about that as I am their massive failure to perform "Job 1".

Comment

But should the role be limited only to that? You haven't made any positive argument for why the school should not make reports about the students' weight - which of course takes very little time.
                      Eh, as I see it, it should be up to the school to justify why they should be allowed to make reports about the student's weight, not the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                        Eh, as I see it, it should be up to the school to justify why they should be allowed to make reports about the student's weight, not the other way around.
                        Do you think the school has any business with the students' fitness, eg. gym classes?

Comment

Do you think the school has any business with the students' fitness, eg. gym classes?
                          I'm probably not the best person to ask that if you want an unbiased answer, I hated gym class in school.

But seriously, yes, I do think the school has some business with student's fitness, but sending a letter home to the parents because their child is one pound over the average for her age and height is going too far, not to mention absurd.

Comment

I'm probably not the best person to ask that if you want an unbiased answer, I hated gym class in school.

But seriously, yes, I do think the school has some business with student's fitness, but sending a letter home to the parents because their child is one pound over the average for her age and height is going too far, not to mention absurd.
                            Right. Do you think if a kid is severely overweight that the school should not care at all?

Comment

Right. Do you think if a kid is severely overweight that the school should not care at all?
                              No, but I don't think sending a report to their parents is the right way to go about it. I mean, if someone's kid really is "severely overweight" I don't think they need a letter from their kid's school to tell it to them, they have eyes of their own.

Comment

No, but I don't think sending a report to their parents is the right way to go about it.
                                Okay. I haven't argued that it is.

Comment