Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Has Moscow Mitch met his match?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Moscow Mitch met his match?

Back on the other forum I came from, Reepicheep and I had briefly discussed the Kentucky race for McConnel's seat. I remarked back then that I'd seen a bunch of TV ads here in Massachusetts for the Kentucky primary, and that I thought this was pretty weird. I still do.

Looks like McGrath has just won, and will be facing off with McConnell in the fall.

WASHINGTON — Amy McGrath, a former Marine fighter pilot who built a formidable campaign war chest, emerged Tuesday as the Democratic nominee to take on Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, fending off a challenge from the left that highlighted the party’s ideological divisions.

One week after the primary was conducted, The Associated Press declared Ms. McGrath the winner after a campaign that was shaped by the coronavirus pandemic and protests against racial injustice. She narrowly defeated Charles Booker, an African-American state lawmaker who harnessed anger over a pair of fatal shootings by the authorities in Louisville to roar into contention in the final weeks of the campaign.

Ms. McGrath, though, had raised over $40 million by the start of June and built up a sizable advantage even before Primary Day because many voters cast absentee ballots to avoid the polls and the risk of contracting the coronavirus. She was also helped by the presence of a number of other Democrats on the ballot, including another progressive who garnered about 5 percent of the vote.
    Despite my state's focus on higher education and biotechnology, it's actually purple-colored (rather than blue). This caused me to wonder why McGrath would spend ad money here. Either way, she's apparently done something right, having fended off a black contender who got a huge boost from the anti-racism protests across the nation.
    Last edited by Whateverman; 06-30-2020, 11:48 AM.

Now that McGrath (who as a marine fighter pilot is an excellent candidate) has won the primary, it will be interesting to see what the next Kentucky senate polls show. I've noticed that, in general, Trump is down around 10 points from 2016 in most state level presidential polls (for example, Trump was +30 in Kentucky in 2016, and is currently +20). McConnell was +16 in his 2014 senate race, I bet that will be reduced to +10 and possibly even less in the first McGrath/McConnell poll.

McConnell is certainly near the top of my list of least favorite American politicians, but I'm pleased (and a bit surprised) that he came out in favour of masks
    Last edited by Reepicheep; 07-01-2020, 07:37 AM. Reason: Corrected year for McConnell's senate race
    "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
    "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post
      Now that McGrath (who as a marine fighter pilot is an excellent candidate) has won the primary, it will be interesting to see what the next Kentucky senate polls show. I've noticed that, in general, Trump is down around 10 points from 2016 in most state level presidential polls (for example, Trump was +30 in Kentucky in 2016, and is currently +20). McConnell was +16 in his 2014 senate race, I bet that will be reduced to +10 and possibly even less in the first McGrath/McConnell poll.

McConnell is certainly near the top of my list of least favorite American politicians, but I'm pleased (and a bit surprised) that he came out in favour of masks
      Who knew that personal health was his ideological line-in-the-sand?

He's actually my least favorite politician in America today. I used to like his wife, but he ruined that, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
        Who knew that personal health was his ideological line-in-the-sand?

He's actually my least favorite politician in America today. I used to like his wife, but he ruined that, too.
        I didn't know much about McConnell's wife, but I just did a cursory google search which convinced me she is likely abusing her position in government to make money for her extended family. Luckily for her, in May Trump fired the Inspector General who was investigating her. I'm sure this was coincidence and not wrong doing on Trump's part.

McConnell is definitely my least favourite senator. My award for least favourite house member goes to Jim Jordan, as a result of the shameful way he supported Trump during the impeachment trial. I'd have a hard time picking between these two, but I think Jordan is my least favourite US politician by a nose. Or, more accurately, Jordan is my second least favourite politician after Trump, with McConnell taking the bronze medal.

Comment

I retired from the USAF, and I have experienced many interactions with our pilots, both male and female. They were roundly the most arrogant jerks I have ever interacted with, and that's saying something considering our resident jerkTM
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

McConnell... Jim Jordan... Trump
            I'd also add Lindsey Graham to my list of least favourite American politicians. I'm not sure who else would make my "top five" list, it might possibly be a democrat, but most likely another republican. If I expand my list to include non-politicians, then Kellyanne Conway would certainly make my top five list.

Incidentally, Claudia Conway (the 15 year old daughter of Kellyanne and George Conway) is starting to speak up. She is definitely not a Trump supporter. Expect to hear more about her in the months leading up to the election.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/...b612083c590a44

Comment

I'd also add Lindsey Graham to my list of least favourite American politicians. I'm not sure who else would make my "top five" list, it might possibly be a democrat, but most likely another republican. If I expand my list to include non-politicians, then Kellyanne Conway would certainly make my top five list.
              Chuck Schumer's my least favorite Democrat, but he's not anywhere close to bumping any of the top 8 (or so), who all are Republican.

McConnell, Jordan and Trump are definitely in the top three. I was tolerant of Lindsey Graham for a while, but his last 2 years put him on my list. Off the top of my head, I'd also add Ted Cruz, John Cornyn, Tom Cotton - and Rick Scott.

(EDIT: I knew I was forgetting someone - Devin Nunes!)

Incidentally, Claudia Conway (the 15 year old daughter of Kellyanne and George Conway) is starting to speak up. She is definitely not a Trump supporter. Expect to hear more about her in the months leading up to the election.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/...b612083c590a44
              I suspect that they try hard to not talk politics at home - but I confess that they're one family I would die to have Thanksgiving dinner with ;)
              Last edited by Whateverman; 07-02-2020, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                Ted Cruz...

(EDIT: I knew I was forgetting someone - Devin Nunes!)

I suspect that (the Conways) try hard to not talk politics at home - but I confess that they're one family I would die to have Thanksgiving dinner with ;)
                I more or less liked Ted Cruz, until he went to the Dark Side and became a Trump supporter.

Absolutely Devin Nunes!

We could start a new thread with the title of "Family I'd most like to spend Thanksgiving with", but since the Conways would win by a landslide there is no point in discussing the topic.

George Conway, Mitt Romney, and the late John McCain are the Republicans I admire the most. John McCain might even be my favorite politician of recent times. I give McCain the benefit of the doubt and assume he was suffering from temporary insanity when he chose Sarah Palin as his VP running mate.

Back in the day, I also liked Bob Dole, but I didn't follow American politics very closely back in the 1990s, so I don't have much more than a warm fuzzy feeling to base that opinion on. Plus, whenever I hear his name I think of pineapples, which I love.

I wasn't much of a fan of Obama during either of his campaigns, but in hindsight I think he did a pretty good job. And I think Carter was the most honest and morally upstanding president of recent times.

Comment

I thought of another politician I really like, Republican John Kasich. All in all, I think he is my favourite US politician. In 2024, I'd like to see him take another swing at being the Republican Presidential candidate, but I think he is too rational and reasonable to ever win the support of the Republican party.

Comment