Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Don't Dare Defend Yourself From The MOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
    Talk about irony. My uncle, who was a lawyer, has a rottweiler that bit the guests at his home.
    I dated a girl once whose Dad had a rottweiler. The dog was perfectly fine with me in the house, but when it came time for me to leave, the dog seemed to want to EAT me.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Warrant served on St. Louis couple who protected property from mob, police confiscate firearms

https://www.theblaze.com/news/warran...irearms-seized
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        Warrant served on St. Louis couple who protected property from mob, police confiscate firearms

https://www.theblaze.com/news/warran...irearms-seized
        Just another example where police are NOT defenders of the constitution.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
          Just another example where police are NOT defenders of the constitution.
          That's not fair - police serve warrants that are issued by the courts/judge. Unless they requested the warrant, this isn't necessarily on them.

That said, I'd LOVE to know who requested and who issued this warrant.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            That's not fair - police serve warrants that are issued by the courts/judge. Unless they requested the warrant, this isn't necessarily on them.

That said, I'd LOVE to know who requested and who issued this warrant.
            I've heard conservatives argue that if the state ever repealed the second amendment and ordered police to confiscate guns, police would rebel against it and side with the people. To me that's a joke, and this (as well how they acted during the shut down) is just yet another example that confirms it. Police will side with the state like the lapdogs they are.

Comment

I've heard conservatives argue that if the state ever repealed the second amendment and ordered police to confiscate guns, police would rebel against it and side with the people.
              That is quite concerning to me.

To me that's a joke, and this (as well how they acted during the shut down) is just yet another example that confirms it. Police will side with the state like the lapdogs they are.
              Police officers are hired, employed and directed by their respective civil authorities. You know this. I hardly think they are "lapdogs", but failure to carry out a legitimate assignment would be subject to discipline or termination.

The problem is with the civil authorities.

Comment

That is quite concerning to me.

Police officers are hired, employed and directed by their respective civil authorities. You know this. I hardly think they are "lapdogs", but failure to carry out a legitimate assignment would be subject to discipline or termination.

The problem is with the civil authorities.
                You just gave the perfect description of what a lapdog is.

And maybe it's just my ignorance of the law, but how can a warrant be issued with no charges made, especially if the firearms are legal?

Comment

You just gave the perfect description of what a lapdog is.
                  No, you really don't want police officers picking and choosing what orders to obey.

And maybe it's just my ignorance of the law, but how can a warrant be issued with no charges made, especially if the firearms are legal?
                  That's what has me concerned. It is, however, a search warrant, not an arrest warrant, so no charges are necessary.
                  The only thing I can think of at this time would be that there's a suspicion that the rifle is fully auto as opposed to semi.... still digging.

Again, I think the problem is with the civil authorities, like the moron prosecutor...

"My office is currently working with the public and the police to investigate these events," she said on June 29. "Make no mistake: We will not tolerate the use of force against those exercising their First Amendment rights, and will use the full power of Missouri law to hold people accountable."

Comment

So far, the only thing I can see is that they are focusing on the fact that the weapons (particularly the pistol held by the woman) were AIMED at protesters, not just 'displayed'.

It looks like they're talking about "the way the weapons were handled". But it also sounds like they only confiscated the rifle. I'm wondering if they suspect magazine capacity was exceeded, or, like I said, fully auto vs semi.

She most CERTAINLY did a lousy job handling her pistol, but I can't see the illegality yet.

Comment

No, you really don't want police officers picking and choosing what orders to obey.
                      Well yes, if the orders are unconstitutional.
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Uh... I would if the orders are clearly illegal.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Uh... I would if the orders are clearly illegal.
                          Absolutely - but not routinely simply because they don't like them.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                            Well yes, if the orders are unconstitutional.
                            Absolutely - but not routinely simply because they don't like them.

Comment

OK, not that it matters in what's happened so far, but it appears these two lawyers have been.. um... "colorful"... in the past, including suing to keep a Jewish family from moving into their neighborhood, and destroying the bee hives outside their property that were intended for honey for Rosh Hashanah celebrations for a local Synagogue.

While that doesn't impact THIS incident, it might be why the "civil authorities" were particularly aggressive (if, indeed, they were) toward the McCloskeys.

IF there had been such a history, it might explain why the officers serving the warrant didn't have any particular sympathy for the couple.

Comment

OK, not that it matters in what's happened so far, but it appears these two lawyers have been.. um... "colorful"... in the past, including suing to keep a Jewish family from moving into their neighborhood, and destroying the bee hives outside their property that were intended for honey for Rosh Hashanah celebrations for a local Synagogue.

While that doesn't impact THIS incident, it might be why the "civil authorities" were particularly aggressive (if, indeed, they were) toward the McCloskeys.

IF there had been such a history, it might explain why the officers serving the warrant didn't have any particular sympathy for the couple.
                                Their character flaw is not an excuse to engage in an unconstitutional act. And the fact Leon amen'd your post should be disconcerting to you and might make you want to reconsider the argument you just made. I just hope, being lawyers, they sure the crap out the police department for this, and all other parties involved.

Comment