Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Retweeting Hate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    No - my post was intended to be a general post - and I hit "reply with quote" instead of "reply." Feel free to delete the quoted part - it was not my intention to include it and I cannot exclude it now because we are way past the 15-minute limit.
    no prob.

There is a post box at the bottom of each page that you can use to make a general post too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      no prob.

There is a post box at the bottom of each page that you can use to make a general post too.
      I already whooped up on him for that....

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Just curious -- how does this relate to Sparko's post on brands vs business?
      Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      It doesn't. I thought I had hit "reply" and I accidentally hit "reply with quote."
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        They don't care one way or the other - a master bedroom is a master bedroom, and we never say "the slave bedroom".
        Clearly - we have different anecdotal experiences. In any event - I still work to eliminate such expressions from my language.

So, no "slave bedrooms".
        I've never heard of anyone calling them that.

What is the guest bedroom "dependent" upon? That just sounds nutty in that context. [ok, hold that thought.....]
        I have no idea where you got the idea that we call the other bedrooms "dependent" anything. Somehow, that got inserted into the discussion. My observation about "dependent" was generic - not specific to bedrooms.

Because I misread your post?
        Apparently.

Anyway, "master bedroom" does not imply in anyway that there is a "slave" bedroom. In fact, many new homes have TWO master suites!!!
        Like I said, I've made the personal decision to eliminate that kind of reference from my language. I generally use "main" in place of "master." In deference to gender issues, I tend to eschew gender-specific pronouns when referring to an individual until I'm sure I know how they prefer to be referenced. That one is still hard for me...and I slip a LOT.

I think the difference between us can be summed up as follows: we both think getting all caught up in fighting the PC-language battle is stupid. I've decided the best way to avoid defuse the issue is to simply use language as the person I am speaking too is most comfortable so I can have reasonable conversations with them. It doesn't cost me a lot to adjust my language in that way, and sometimes I even learn some things about myself. You've decided the way to avoid the fight is to insist it's all silly and refuse to play along.

Would you say that about captures it?
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          no prob.

Good info. I almost never GET to the bottom of any given page because of how I have the page sorted (newest at the top), so I never noticed it. I usually just use the "reply" button on any given post.
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

I have no idea where you got the idea that we call the other bedrooms "dependent" anything. Somehow, that got inserted into the discussion. My observation about "dependent" was generic - not specific to bedrooms.
            You've lost your sense of humor.

Apparently.
            No, clearly.

Like I said, I've made the personal decision to eliminate that kind of reference from my language. I generally use "main" in place of "master." In deference to gender issues, I tend to eschew gender-specific pronouns when referring to an individual until I'm sure I know how they prefer to be referenced. That one is still hard for me...and I slip a LOT.
            Oh, come on, how often does that come up in conversation?

I think the difference between us can be summed up as follows: we both think getting all caught up in fighting the PC-language battle is stupid.
            Yeah

I've decided the best way to avoid defuse the issue is to simply use language as the person I am speaking too is most comfortable so I can have reasonable conversations with them. It doesn't cost me a lot to adjust my language in that way, and sometimes I even learn some things about myself. You've decided the way to avoid the fight is to insist it's all silly and refuse to play along.
            Nope - I just apply come common sense.

Would you say that about captures it?
            No sir, I'm also smarter, better looking and I have a sense of humor.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You've lost your sense of humor.
              I had one before?

No, clearly.
              Absolutely!

Oh, come on, how often does that come up in conversation?
              It doesn't have to, if you're listening carefully...

Yeah

Nope - I just apply come common sense.
              Come...?

In my experience, "common sense" is usually a substitute for "what I prefer."

No sir, I'm also smarter, better looking and I have a sense of humor.
              Well...one out of three ain't bad...

Comment

Come...?
                You're a [badword]

Comment

You're a [badword]
                  Yeah... I am....

Comment

You're a [badword]
                    Seriously, I asked around, and none of my black friends thinks that "Master bedroom" is anything other than the main bedroom.

And, my "black friends" consist of anywhere from my black "boss" at the mission to the clients thereof. We made this a group project when this first came up some time back.

This really isn't new.

Comment

Seriously, I asked around, and none of my black friends thinks that "Master bedroom" is anything other than the main bedroom.

And, my "black friends" consist of anywhere from my black "boss" at the mission to the clients thereof. We made this a group project when this first came up some time back.

This really isn't new.
                      What can I say, CP. The people you asked answered differently than the people I asked. Of course, my questions were posed quite a while ago, so maybe time plays a factor? I have no idea. All I know is made the decision to strip "master" from my language when referencing anything that has a master/slave relationship, or could be construed as such. Since "main bedroom" is actually easier to say than "master bedroom," I figure I've saved a lot of syllables over the years.

I don't hunt people down and scold them for using "master," I just have elected not to do it myself. Indeed, I've spent more time explaining it here to you than I've spent thinking about it in the last two decades.

Comment

What can I say, CP.
                        Try, "you're right, CP, as always".

The people you asked answered differently than the people I asked.
                        Which proves I hang around with smarter kinder more informed people!

Of course, my questions were posed quite a while ago, so maybe time plays a factor? I have no idea. All I know is made the decision to strip "master" from my language when referencing anything that has a master/slave relationship, or could be construed as such. Since "main bedroom" is actually easier to say than "master bedroom," I figure I've saved a lot of syllables over the years.
                        I think this is one of those things that's really insignificant, but it makes the person feel better about themselves for slightly changing their vocabulary.

I don't hunt people down and scold them for using "master," I just have elected not to do it myself.
                        I have decided to stop using Jackass, even though, as a farmer/rancher all my life, it's a very fitting..... I'm doing much better.

Indeed, I've spent more time explaining it here to you than I've spent thinking about it in the last two decades.
                        EGGzackly.

It's like all this hyperventilating about statues. I just heard somebody say "the test should be - what's the first thing that comes to my mind when I look at a statue". If it's SLAVERY, then there's a problem, but if you have to go to, "well, he MARRIED into a family that had slaves, and even though he fought to ABOLISH slavery, his head must roll!!!!"

Good to see you.

Comment

Try, "you're right, CP, as always".

Which proves I hang around with smarter kinder more informed people!

I think this is one of those things that's really insignificant, but it makes the person feel better about themselves for slightly changing their vocabulary.
                          Are you under the impression that I think my change of language is somehow significant to the world at large? How I use words, and whether I am willing to look how I use words, says a lot about me. I prefer to be the kind of person who is self-critical. I prefer to be the kind of person who reflects on my use of language and makes adjustments as I feel they are warranted. Whether the rest of the world notices or cares is really not my concern.

I have decided to stop using Jackass, even though, as a farmer/rancher all my life, it's a very fitting..... I'm doing much better.
                          Congrats - I think...

EGGzackly.

It's like all this hyperventilating about statues. I just heard somebody say "the test should be - what's the first thing that comes to my mind when I look at a statue". If it's SLAVERY, then there's a problem, but if you have to go to, "well, he MARRIED into a family that had slaves, and even though he fought to ABOLISH slavery, his head must roll!!!!"
                          I think the statue issue is very different. I am not in favor of statues honoring traitors to our country - especially when the erection of those statues was rooted in the desire to "send a message" to the black population that was "overstepping." I am NOT in favor of pulling down every statue of every person who ever owned a slave or supported slavery. Washington, Jefferson, and Lincoln all had or expressed racist viewpoints, and two of them actually practiced slavery. But they were also instrumental in building and/or preserving the nation that finally eliminated slavery and now, with much resistance, is again examining its attitudes about race. I don't support removing four speakers of the house from the capital gallery because they had racist views. If the purpose of the gallery is to document the speakers - they were speakers and should be included in the gallery. But I would take down a statue of any of them specifically deployed/positioned to "honor" them.

Good to see you.
                          Likewise

Comment