Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Russian Bounty on U.S. military in Afghanistan.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most - if not all of these people should have been briefed on this "bounty" story as well. I don't recall any of them going public about it - assuming it is true.

And this is just the Intelligence Subcommittee

https://armedservices.house.gov/emer...ndcapabilities

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.jpg
    6.jpg
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
      You all look alike to me.

FLC independently spoke to their sources and independently determined them to be credible.
      Did the House Armed Services Committee, Intelligence Subcommittee announce this "bounty" story? Or the equivalent in the Senate?

Then Obama can truthfully say he reached out to Russia who agreed that such bounties were inappropriate and assured that such would not be offered again. Trump, instead, has denied even hearing about the bounties and then went golfing rather than actually figure out how to handle the situation.
      Or he denied hearing about because he never heard about it. The CIA has backed him up on that.

We'll see then. I agree he probably won't stay quiet for long.
      So far he's calling it "fake news".

Comment

This morning this subject was a hot topic in the news. There were several Pelosi articles where she was condemning Trump and saying this was the "worst thing ever."

They've all disappeared off the Yahoo! news aggregate. Every single one. I wonder what's up.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
          This morning this subject was a hot topic in the news. There were several Pelosi articles where she was condemning Trump and saying this was the "worst thing ever."

They've all disappeared off the Yahoo! news aggregate. Every single one. I wonder what's up.
          This was a "hot thing" 6 months ago - it didn't work then, either. When I first saw this, I googled it and found reports as far back as January.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I just checked Yahoo News, and Pelosi was the very first (top) story....

yahoo news.jpg

Maybe the cookies in your browser showed you had already seen that, so they gave you newer stuff?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46114[/ATTACH]

Maybe the cookies in your browser showed you had already seen that, so they gave you newer stuff?
              You may be right as I linked to all of them, so they all disappeared? That doesn't always happen though.

Comment

You may be right as I linked to all of them, so they all disappeared? That doesn't always happen though.
                Some of these websites have been behaving oddly, though --- I can't find the "6 months old" reports of "Russia pays bounty to Taliban...." incidents.
                I shoulda tagged them when I found them.
                I'm wondering if it was because I was using DuckDuckGo on a different computer.

Comment

Some of these websites have been behaving oddly, though --- I can't find the "6 months old" reports of "Russia pays bounty to Taliban...." incidents.
                  I shoulda tagged them when I found them.
                  I'm wondering if it was because I was using DuckDuckGo on a different computer.
                  I looked too. I tailored my search for before February 2020 and found links to Russian bounties for Taliban with old dates attached, but the actual stories were new. Not sure why it did that.

There is an interview from 2018 where the US Afghan commander was complaining about Russian interference, but he didn't specify what it was.

Comment

I looked too. I tailored my search for before February 2020 and found links to Russian bounties for Taliban with old dates attached, but the actual stories were new. Not sure why it did that.

There is an interview from 2018 where the US Afghan commander was complaining about Russian interference, but he didn't specify what it was.
                    Well, until I find it again, I'll gladly withdraw that statement.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46114[/ATTACH]

Biden jumped on it too. The fact they all jumped on it so quickly with no regard to vetting it or whether it's accurate or not just adds yet another element of suspicion to it. Though it could just be that we're in a political climate where facts don't matter anymore just as long as you can score quick points for your political tribe.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                        Biden jumped on it too. The fact they all jumped on it so quickly with no regard to vetting it or whether it's accurate or not just adds yet another element of suspicion to it. Though it could just be that we're in a political climate where facts don't matter anymore just as long as you can score quick points for your political tribe.
                        You know what will happen if this all proves to be untrue? Nothing. All the accusers will just run to the next accusation and pretend this one never happened. NYT won't run a correction but will pull down its articles that refer to the story.

The American public has an extremely short memory about this sort of thing, and Biden, Pelosi, and the MSM all know that. Fortunately, we have people like Sharyl Attkisson out there who meticulously keep records of this stuff.

Comment

WSJ also confirms the story.

And Trump is golfing a second day in a row (after attempting to change the subject by retweeting a video proclaiming "White Power!").

No way both FLC and WSJ are going to confirm this story unless they thought it was likely to be true. They both have every reason to minimize it and 10x the motivation to dispell it.

ETA: And now it has been reported that soldier deaths did result from the bounty program.

Russian bounties offered to Taliban-linked militants to kill coalition forces in Afghanistan are believed to have resulted in the deaths of several U.S. service members, according to intelligence gleaned from U.S. military interrogations of captured militants in recent months.

Several people familiar with the matter said it was unclear exactly how many Americans or coalition troops from other countries may have been killed or targeted under the program. U.S. forces in Afghanistan suffered a total of 10 deaths from hostile gunfire or improvised bombs in 2018, and 16 in 2019. Two have been killed this year. In each of those years, several service members were also killed by what are known as “green on blue” hostile incidents by Afghan security forces who are sometimes believed to have been infiltrated by the Taliban.

Like I said, this will be the scandal which does the GOP in. Not a moment too soon.
                          Last edited by DivineOb; 06-28-2020, 07:10 PM.

Comment

WSJ also confirms the story.

And Trump is golfing a second day in a row (after attempting to change the subject by retweeting a video proclaiming "White Power!").

No way both FLC and WSJ are going to confirm this story unless they thought it was likely to be true. They both have every reason to minimize it and 10x the motivation to dispell it.

ETA: And now it has been reported that soldier deaths did result from the bounty program.

Russian bounties offered to Taliban-linked militants to kill coalition forces in Afghanistan are believed to have resulted in the deaths of several U.S. service members, according to intelligence gleaned from U.S. military interrogations of captured militants in recent months.

Several people familiar with the matter said it was unclear exactly how many Americans or coalition troops from other countries may have been killed or targeted under the program. U.S. forces in Afghanistan suffered a total of 10 deaths from hostile gunfire or improvised bombs in 2018, and 16 in 2019. Two have been killed this year. In each of those years, several service members were also killed by what are known as “green on blue” hostile incidents by Afghan security forces who are sometimes believed to have been infiltrated by the Taliban.

Like I said, this will be the scandal which does the GOP in. Not a moment too soon.
                            Nobody cares about this except neocons and sudden neocon syndrome liberals.
                            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                              Nobody cares about this except neocons and sudden neocon syndrome liberals.
                              No one cares about soldiers being killed and the president rewarding the guilty party? Anyone else want to sign up for that statement?

Comment

No one cares about soldiers being killed and the president rewarding the guilty party? Anyone else want to sign up for that statement?
                                Tulsi Gabbard sits on the House Armed Services Committee - and on the House Intelligence Subcommittee (along with several other Democrats). They get briefed on everything Trump gets briefed on.

Are you saying these Democrats swept this under the rug too?

Comment