Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

WSJ report: New York's coronavirus response made pandemic worse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSJ report: New York's coronavirus response made pandemic worse

According to data provided by Johns Hopkins and reported in the Wall Street Journal 30,500 people have died of the Chicom coronavirus which accounts for roughly 7% of the world’s death toll and 27% of the U.S. mortality rate -- and much of it was the result of ineptness of leadership in the state as well as in New York City.

Source: How New York’s Coronavirus Response Made the Pandemic Worse

New York leaders faced an unanticipated crisis as the new coronavirus overwhelmed the nation’s largest city. Their response was marred by missed warning signs and policies that many health-care workers say put residents at greater risk and led to unnecessary deaths.

In the first few days of March, Gov. Andrew Cuomo and Mayor Bill de Blasio assured New Yorkers things were under control. On March 2, Mr. de Blasio tweeted that people should go see a movie.

Only after the disease had gripped the city’s low-income neighborhoods in early March did Gov. Cuomo and Mayor de Blasio mobilize public and private hospitals to create more beds and intensive-care units. The hasty expansion that ensued, led by New York government leaders and hospital administrators, produced mistakes that helped worsen the crisis, health-care workers say.

The virus has hit New York harder than any other state, cutting through its densely populated urban neighborhoods and devastating the economy. New York state’s death toll of 30,575 accounted for 7% of the world’s deaths and 27% of American deaths as of June 11, according to Johns Hopkins University data.

The Wall Street Journal talked to nearly 90 front-line doctors, nurses, health-care workers, hospital administrators and government officials, and reviewed emails, legal documents and memos, to analyze what went wrong. Among the missteps they identify:

• Improper patient transfers. Some patients were too sick to have been transferred between hospitals. Squabbling between the Cuomo and de Blasio administrations contributed to an uncoordinated effort.
    • Insufficient isolation protocols. Hospitals often mixed infected patients with the uninfected early on, and the virus spread to non-Covid-19 units.
    • Inadequate staff planning. Hospitals added hundreds of intensive-care beds but not always enough trained staff, leading to improper treatments and overlooked patients dying alone.
    • Mixed messages. State, city government and hospital officials kept shifting guidelines about when exposed and ill front-line workers should return to work.
    • Overreliance on government sources for key equipment. Hospitals turned to the state and federal government for hundreds of ventilators, but many were faulty or inadequate.
    • Procurement-planning gaps. While leaders focused attention on procuring ventilators, hospitals didn’t always provide for adequate supplies of critical resources including oxygen, vital-signs monitors and dialysis machines.
    • Incomplete staff-protection policies. Many hospitals provided staff with insufficient protective equipment and testing.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

I wonder if reports like this is the reason why stories about Andrew Cuomo (who the MSM fell over themselves trying to top one another with stories about how great he was doing back then) riding in and saving the Democrats by being their presidential nominee have dried up.

Anywho...

Source: Ibid

One planning lapse showed up in improper patient transfers. More than 1,600 largely Covid-19 patients in two of the state’s largest hospital systems were moved from overloaded hospitals to ones less hit, according to spokespeople for those systems. Some patients arrived in worse condition than when they left, sometimes without names and treatment information, said doctors and nurses at several hospitals.

Under normal protocol, only stable patients typically would be transferred, but these people came in with “one foot in the grave,” said Dr. David Buziashvili, who worked many shifts at Bellevue hospital, part of the city’s public system, NYC Health + Hospitals. On one shift there, he was alarmed to see 10 new transfers in beds with little medical information, he said. “That is not how it should be done, and it is not safe for the patient at all.”

A Health + Hospitals spokeswoman, Stephanie Guzmán, said the city’s 11-facility hospital system provided “the highest quality care to all New Yorkers.” Only the least-sick patients were transferred between hospitals and their personal information was in a centralized system, she said.

Avery Cohen, a City Hall spokeswoman, blamed the state for denying a request from the city to establish a centralized hub, called a Healthcare Evacuation Call Center, that would have helped better coordinate transfers between hospitals, whether they were private or public. “We were grasping for every tool at our disposal to save as many lives as possible.” Ms. Cohen said. “The state was not interested.”

Dani Lever, a spokeswoman for the governor, said that system wasn’t designed for individual patient transfers. She said a state transfer system was created in late March after hundreds of open beds near harder-hit New York City hospitals had gone unnoticed

How does something like hundreds of empty beds go unnoticed?

Any how, skipping ahead...

Source: Ibid

The impact was made worse because the city went into the pandemic less prepared than it could have been. The city hospital system has long been considered underfunded. Private hospitals in the outer boroughs, particularly Queens, had closed over the years. New York hospitals had long ignored alarms raised by the nurses’ union and respiratory therapists about insufficient staffing levels, according to nurses and respiratory therapists at several city hospitals.

A contributing factor was New York leaders’ delayed reaction. Early signs of the virus’s arrival—including a rise in patients with flulike symptoms visiting hospitals—went largely uninvestigated by hospital, state and city officials. The city health department was limiting testing primarily to travelers from China, following the federal government’s lead. Throughout February in calls with hospitals, the city health department played down the possibility that the virus could spread through the air or by asymptomatic people.

While leaders in states like California and Ohio acted quickly to contain the spread, Messrs. Cuomo and de Blasio delayed taking measures to close the state and city even as the number of cases swelled, despite warnings from doctors, nurses and schoolteachers. California issued a statewide lockdown with 1,005 cases as of March 19, while New York remained open with 5,704 cases, according to updated Johns Hopkins data.

Even after New York announced its first coronavirus case on March 1, the city health department was advising New Yorkers they were more likely to get the flu. “I speak for the mayor also on this one—we think we have the best health-care system on the planet,” Mr. Cuomo said at a March 2 news conference.

Five days later, Mr. Cuomo declared a state of emergency, but medical and emergency-response experts worried the city and state administrations still weren’t taking matters seriously enough.

Keep in mind it wasn't until May that it dawned on Democrat leaders that sanitizing subway cars on a daily basis might be a good idea.

The article is long and detailed with numerous hyperlinks and graphs but is behind the New York Times paywall (easy to by-pass but I'm not going to say how).

They point out the delay in issuing lock-down orders (California enforced a statewide lock-down with just over 1000 cases on March 19, whereas New York still remained open with nearly 6000 cases until March 22) and de Blasio was actually still encouraging folks to go to the movies in March

One incredible foul up was that NYC allowed health care workers who tested positive to continue working blatantly ignoring CDC guidelines which caused God only knows how many people to get the disease.

That was almost as bad as Cuomo ordering nursing homes -- full of those most vulnerable to the Chicom coronavirus -- to take in infected patients leading to thousands of deaths. He threatened to close them down if they refused and then told them they were even forbidden to test new arriving patients for the disease.

Last I heard fatalities from the Chicom coronavirus in the state's nursing homes accounted for around 20% of the total death count.

Of course Cuomo tried to shift the blame saying he was merely following the guidelines provided by "Trump's CDC."

So, naturally, it was Trump's fault.

Of course it was quickly pointed out that the CDC guidelines do NOT instruct anyone to deliberately move potentially Chicom corona virus infected patients into nursing homes. Rather it said that if forced to take such measures you first need to be sure that the facilities were able to designate a section devoted to quarantining new patients for two weeks before allowing them in with the uninfected patients. Very few of these facilities were able to provide this but Cuomo still forced them to take in patients anyway.

Anyway, the point of the article is that the list of New York's government screw ups is long and in many cases easily prevented if they had listened or simply used common sense.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Please note that I'm requesting that we stay on topic, which is about New York's poor response to the Chicom coronavirus and refrain from trying to switch the topic to yet another Orange Man Bad thread.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Please note that I'm requesting that we stay on topic, which is about New York's poor response to the Chicom coronavirus and refrain from trying to switch the topic to yet another Orange Man Bad thread.
      Bacon.

And, yes, it doesn't take a genius to recognize that MASS TRANSIT would be an excellent means for spreading a virus.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The actual effects of Cuomo's policies go beyond what can be measured by these statistics and I'm not sure we'll ever know the full extent. I spoke with one customer at work who lived in rural upstate New York, in a county basically untouched by the pandemic. She told me that she was unable to walk until she got surgery, but her surgery had been indefinitely put off due to Cuomo's policies (and of course, her local hospital was not overloaded with Covid patients).
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          The actual effects of Cuomo's policies go beyond what can be measured by these statistics and I'm not sure we'll ever know the full extent. I spoke with one customer at work who lived in rural upstate New York, in a county basically untouched by the pandemic. She told me that she was unable to walk until she got surgery, but her surgery had been indefinitely put off due to Cuomo's policies (and of course, her local hospital was not overloaded with Covid patients).
          But he DOES love the camera!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think everyone can admit that hindsight is 20/20, and that obvious mistakes were made with the US reaction to the pandemic. There's no doubt that New York is going to be used in the future for lessons about what to do and not do.

I also think Cuomo provides an interesting lesson on leadership, in that it's possible to screw up and still emerge from real disaster with a favorable public opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              It runs in the family.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                I think everyone can admit that hindsight is 20/20, and that obvious mistakes were made with the US reaction to the pandemic. There's no doubt that New York is going to be used in the future for lessons about what to do and not do.

I also think Cuomo provides an interesting lesson on leadership, in that it's possible to screw up and still emerge from real disaster with a favorable public opinion.
                Just as long as the MSM has your back and spikes negative stories in favor of puff pieces extolling what a great job you did.

Too bad for him that reality is beginning to rain on his parade.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Cuomo was the darling of the liberal media early on when he was out there criticizing the President, and Democrats thought they finally had themselves a real contender for the White House... and then Cuomo's labors began bearing fruit, and all of a sudden he disappeared from the headlines.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    Cuomo was the darling of the liberal media early on when he was out there criticizing the President, and Democrats thought they finally had themselves a real contender for the White House... and then Cuomo's labors began bearing fruit, and all of a sudden he disappeared from the headlines.
                    I think that the only ones still singing his praises is CNN (where his brother Fredo works). But then, aside from captive audiences at airports, who watches CNN any more?

Comment

So, even you can get tired of whataboutism.
                      "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Just as long as the MSM has your back and spikes negative stories in favor of puff pieces extolling what a great job you did.
                        Right. Fox really are incorrigible when it comes to Trump, aren't they?

In any case, I've seen Fox broadcast bad news about Trump, and I've seen other MSM outlets publish bad news about Cuomo. Just because Fox spends less time positively covering Cuomo doesn't mean other networks spike negative stories about him...

Too bad for him that reality is beginning to rain on his parade.
                        Not so much. Cuomo was literally the first one to admit he screwed up on a number of fronts. Granted, he's pretty resistant to the whole senior-care angle, but otherwise it's patently obvious that he did decent job given the circumstances. Not perfect; decent.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          As in the headlines below?

Andrew Cuomo is no hero. He's to blame for New York's coronavirus catastrophe

Why oh why is NY Governor Andrew Cuomo being praised for his coronavirus response?

Seems Rogue is running with some rather old "news" in this thread.
                          "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                            So, even you can get tired of whataboutism.
                            I just don't want yet another thread filled with TDS tirades. We have more than enough of them already to suit anyone's needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                              Right. Fox really are incorrigible when it comes to Trump, aren't they?

In any case, I've seen Fox broadcast bad news about Trump, and I've seen other MSM outlets publish bad news about Cuomo. Just because Fox spends less time positively covering Cuomo doesn't mean other networks spike negative stories about him...

Not so much. Cuomo was literally the first one to admit he screwed up on a number of fronts. Granted, he's pretty resistant to the whole senior-care angle, but otherwise it's patently obvious that he did decent job given the circumstances. Not perfect; decent.
                              Until very recently the only place you heard about all of Cuomo's and de Blasio's mega-screw ups has been on what the left dismiss as RWNJ sites. They were too busy pumping up the former as a possible replacement candidate for Biden at a possibly brokered convention or (can't remember who she was at the moment) writing about all the wimmenfolk sipping wine at home and having sexual fantasies about him (and that was in a "news report").

As for being the first one to admit his screw ups...

Excuse me, but

Cuomo first tried to claim that he was merely "followed President Trump's CDC guidance." So it was Trump's fault. IOW, he tried to blame Trump who had nothing to do with the CDC guidelines. Moreover, he lied through his teeth as was quickly pointed out by numerous experts.

The CDC guidelines don't instruct anyone to deliberately move potentially Chicom coronavirus infected patients into nursing homes were they will expose those most vulnerable to the disease in the manner that he did. Rather it said that if forced to take such measures you must first need to make sure that the facilities were able to designate a section devoted to quarantining new patients for two weeks before allowing them in with the uninfected patients. Very few of these facilities were able to provide this but were still forced to take in patients anyway.

And then told them if they refused that he'd close them down.

And then ordered them to not test the new arrivals for the Chicom coronavirus.

None of these incredibly stupid orders are in the CDC's guidelines.

But then again, all of this might actually constitute how a leftist now "literally [are] the first one to admit he screwed up on a number of fronts."
                              Last edited by rogue06; 06-21-2020, 01:38 PM.

Comment