Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

WSJ report: New York's coronavirus response made pandemic worse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

This part is precious ---

Trump screwed up the whole pandemic thing -- GIT A ROPE!!!!!
    Cuomo screwed up the whole pandemic thing -- well, gosh, hindsight is 20-20.
    I guess the difference is that Cuomo was clearly taking the pandemic seriously, even if he made mistakes.

Trump's mistake was not taking the pandemic seriously, except as a threat to his reelection.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

I guess the difference is that Cuomo was clearly taking the pandemic seriously, even if he made mistakes.
      I was taking my driving very seriously when I ran over the gramma crossing the street.

Trump's mistake was not taking the pandemic seriously, except as a threat to his reelection.
      So, you're sticking with "Cuomo gets a break" because
      A) He was serious
      2) His incompetence is because hindsight is 20/20

Come on, Stoic --- you're much better than this. Cuomo isn't just an ordinary citizen -- he was the freakin GOVERNOR of the STATE OF NEW YORK who alternately praised then blamed "the Federal government".

Even today, he blamed "the federal government" while explaining it's not a blame game --- he's a DOOFUS politician who is arrogant and self-centered.

Sheeeesh --- he even blamed GOD, then uttered those "our thoughts and prayers" words that get conservatives in trouble.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm referring to nursing home deaths as a percentage of all covid-19 deaths.
        Oh so you are trying to bury the problem in a pile of other bodies? I get it. Not really a valid comparison though.

Forcing nursing homes to take covid positive patients is a bad idea, especially if they aren't prepared for it, but it doesn't seem to have made a huge difference in terms of how many people died.

As for PPE, was there some available that went unused?
        It was a whole thing during the spring and summer with Trump making special effort to get equipment and PPE to NY and Cuomo playing stupid and rejecting any help from Trump.

In hindsight, it's obvious that they could have used the hospital ship to offload patients from hospitals rather than sending them back to their nursing homes.

At the time, it wasn't easy to predict how bad things were going to get. If things had gotten so bad that the hospitals and the ship were filled with dying patients, then sending patients back to their nursing homes would have seemed like a much better idea.
        Your excuse making still doesn't make sense. Of course they knew how bad things were (not 'going to get') That's why they sent the hospital ship in the first place. That is why doctors and nurses from all over the country flooded to New York to help out. The fact that the hospital ship sat mostly unused is Cuomo's fault. He was in charge. He had the resources and didn't use them and instead piled sick elderly folk in with healthy elderly folk in overcrowded conditions and killed more people than would have died otherwise. Heck, I could have done better. He could have assigned certain nursing homes as just for covid patients and kept them away from the healthy elderly. People were complaining about his orders AT THE TIME. There is no need for "hindsight".

Comment

Under NY emergency orders as passed by legislature, Cuomo is more a dictator than a governor. Basically the legislature ceded all their power and responsibilities to him. I've only just started hearing any discussion of ending the emergency orders.

Also as I recall, the hospital ship was only for non-Covid patients - something about not being able to disinfect it if the virus gotten on board.
          "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
            Under NY emergency orders as passed by legislature, Cuomo is more a dictator than a governor. Basically the legislature ceded all their power and responsibilities to him. I've only just started hearing any discussion of ending the emergency orders.

Also as I recall, the hospital ship was only for non-Covid patients - something about not being able to disinfect it if the virus gotten on board.
            Didn't they have a huge tent-city hospital, too, that didn't get utilized?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yup.

Cuomo demanded virtually everything that the federal government had, other states be damned. While it was worse in NY it was hardly the only place being ravaged. But the problem was that he demanded the resources and then didn't bother to use them and IIRC stock piled others they had like respirators not using them but wanting more from the feds.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Yup.

Cuomo demanded virtually everything that the federal government had, other states be damned. While it was worse in NY it was hardly the only place being ravaged. But the problem was that he demanded the resources and then didn't bother to use them and IIRC stock piled others they had like respirators not using them but wanting more from the feds.
                The only thing at which he was really consistent was getting in front of a camera and spewing forth ignorance. Pretending to be wise, he played the fool.

Comment

The only thing at which he was really consistent was getting in front of a camera and spewing forth ignorance. Pretending to be wise, he played the fool.
                  But the left swooned and gave him an Emmy for his performance.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

But the left swooned and gave him an Emmy for his performance.
                    If you think about it, it's more of their hypocrisy --- jumping all over everybody else for white privilege, but fawning all over this old white guy who kills old people.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      Oh so you are trying to bury the problem in a pile of other bodies? I get it. Not really a valid comparison though.
                      There are plenty of explanations for the huge pile of bodies, not the least of which this was early in the pandemic before doctors had figured out how best to treat the disease.

It would be unfair to count the nursing home deaths without taking that into account.

It was a whole thing during the spring and summer with Trump making special effort to get equipment and PPE to NY and Cuomo playing stupid and rejecting any help from Trump.
                      Funny, but I don't remember that, and can't find any record of it.

Do you have a link?

Comment

Come on, Stoic --- you're much better than this. Cuomo isn't just an ordinary citizen -- he was the freakin GOVERNOR of the STATE OF NEW YORK who alternately praised then blamed "the Federal government".
                        As I recall, praising the federal government (i.e. Trump) was a prerequisite for receiving aid from the federal government.

Comment

There are plenty of explanations for the huge pile of bodies...
                          Did you, per chance, see any of Cuomo's comments today? He blamed God, he blamed 'the federal government', he declared it's not a blame game, he blamed the nursing homes themselves...

Comment

Yes. As I recall, it was from Franklin Graham's organization.

The most "sad" thing is a bunch of medical people came to NY to help out in the hospitals and Cuomo insisted they have to pay income tax for what they got.
                            "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Did you, per chance, see any of Cuomo's comments today? He blamed God, he blamed 'the federal government', he declared it's not a blame game, he blamed the nursing homes themselves...
                              Big surprise there. At the height of it Cuomo tried to shift responsibility for ordering nursing homes to take in patients that had tested positive for the Chicom coronavirus (IIRC he even forbade them from testing these patients themselves) saying he was merely following the guidelines provided by "Trump's CDC."

So he was trying to excuse his actions by claiming it was what the CDC told him to do, and by adding "Trump's CDC" he tried to put it at the feet of Trump. It was Trump's fault not his.

Of course it was quickly pointed out that the CDC guidelines never instructed anyone to deliberately move potentially infected patients into nursing homes. Rather it said that if forced to take such measures you first need to be sure that the facilities were able to designate a section devoted to quarantining new patients for two weeks before allowing them in with the uninfected patients. Very few of these facilities were able to provide this but Cuomo still forced them to take in patients anyway, threatening to close them if they disobeyed his decrees.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

Yes. As I recall, it was from Franklin Graham's organization.

The most "sad" thing is a bunch of medical people came to NY to help out in the hospitals and Cuomo insisted they have to pay income tax for what they got.
                                He bungled this badly at so many points, yet his approval in NY remains high --- are New Yorkers really that... um....

Comment