Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump encouraged China to build concentration camps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
    Trump prefers to cut out the middleman and just kill our citizens here.
    Shhhh, we’re talking troll.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
      Regime change, sure. Sending more kids home in pine boxes, no.
      Are they really pine? Serious aside --- is there actually a standard issue military coffin for the return of the remains?
      (never thought about that before, and I'm sure you're just using the colloquialism "pine box" to mean 'coffin')
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whateverman View Post

Nevertheless, Bolton was hired SPECIFICALLY because of his hard-line / regime-change stance on Iran. You may not have approved of him, but you were in a (conservative) minority on the issue.
        No he wasn't in the minority. You apparently don't frequent the comment sections of conservative websites like we do. Unless you're talking about conservative politicians? Every Trump supporter just about lambasted Trump for the pick. You even had hardcore Qanon types arguing that Trump was playing 4-D chess in order to keep an eye on Bolton as a way for them to find a rationale for the pick.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Are they really pine? Serious aside --- is there actually a standard issue military coffin for the return of the remains?
          (never thought about that before, and I'm sure you're just using the colloquialism "pine box" to mean 'coffin')
          I really don’t know what they are made of, I just know I’ve seen enough planes full of flag draped coffin’s.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
            I really don’t know what they are made of, I just know I’ve seen enough planes full of flag draped coffin’s.
            Yup. And I have led many a flag-draped coffin to it's occupant's final (on this planet) resting place.

(I was just curious - the military has a "standard issue" for so many things, but I can't find anything on coffins -- probably whatever's available for the journey)
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yup. And I have led many a flag-draped coffin to it's occupant's final (on this planet) resting place.

(I was just curious - the military has a "standard issue" for so many things, but I can't find anything on coffins -- probably whatever's available for the journey)
              If I remember correctly, the "pine box" thing comes from WWI, where the number of dead precluded fancy transportation.

It might even be earlier than that. I haven't looked it up...

Comment

Most did until the pandemic became an actual thing.
                Nope. I can probably name more anti-hawk conservatives than you can name of Bolton fans.

Trump hired Bolton because Bolton was a hard-ass, which is exactly what Trump wants people to think he is. Bolton was a right-wing darling, and Trump always wants his supporters to support him more. You're right: Trump was almost the opposite of a "regime-change" kind of guy; he was for withdrawing US troops from international entanglements, and for lowering aid given to other countries.

Nevertheless, Bolton was hired SPECIFICALLY because of his hard-line / regime-change stance on Iran. You may not have approved of him, but you were in a (conservative) minority on the issue.
                I still don't believe it. When I get some time I will research it a bit more, but I can probably come up with a pre-2019 poll showing conservatives being anti regime change.

You might find this 2018 article of interest

https://www.vox.com/world/2018/3/23/...trump-mcmaster
                Last edited by Ronson; 06-19-2020, 03:10 PM.

Comment

If I remember correctly, the "pine box" thing comes from WWI, where the number of dead precluded fancy transportation.

It might even be earlier than that. I haven't looked it up...
                  Yeah, in general, sure.... was just wondering if there was an official "military issue" coffin for such use.

There's actually a place in Houston where you can, in fact, order a "plain pine box" for your casket -- in Texas, you are not obligated to buy the $5-10,000 ones that the funeral home sells.

Comment

Yeah, in general, sure.... was just wondering if there was an official "military issue" coffin for such use.

There's actually a place in Houston where you can, in fact, order a "plain pine box" for your casket -- in Texas, you are not obligated to buy the $5-10,000 ones that the funeral home sells.
                    I haven't found any regulation about that. It may be left up to the family.
                    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

• Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                      I haven't found any regulation about that. It may be left up to the family.
                      Yeah, or maybe to a procurement officer or logistics guy - "just get the body home in a dignified manner" kind of thing. And, since the coffin is flag-draped, nobody sees it anyway.

I was just curious.

Comment