Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump's Juneteenth rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DivineOb
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    From as I made clear the Today show (which I recorded). It was during the third hour portion of the show.

So in your view she's wrong when she said that the Tulsa riots didn't take place on June 19th?
    Here is a link to the video you referenced. The relevant part starts at 3:05

https://www.today.com/video/sen-tim-...an-84877381625

Al Roker did not claim that the massacre happened on Juneteenth. Because of course he didn't.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
    Would it be horrible celebrating the proclamation of freedom of slaves by having a political rally on this day? Or, is have Democrats coopted this for themselves? Only Democrats are allowed to celebrate this freedom?
    Which, it should be noted, was something that Republicans accomplished and Democrats bitterly fought against for generations and even today are still fighting to keep them on their plantations.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    From as I made clear the Today show (which I recorded). It was during the third hour portion of the show.

So in your view she's wrong when she said that the Tulsa riots didn't take place on June 19th?
    "the Tulsa Race Massacre (also known as the Tulsa Race Riot), which occurred over 18 hours on May 31-June 1, 1921"
    https://www.history.com/topics/roari...-race-massacre

Leave a comment:

• mikewhitney
    replied
    Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
    I think this factoid is just an example of Trump's arrogance / elitism, which leads to him being oblivious about social issues. Not even social issues which he might use to his advantage.

I don't actually think he chose this date for its significance, or to otherwise make a statement.

Would it be horrible celebrating the proclamation of freedom of slaves by having a political rally on this day? Or, is have Democrats coopted this for themselves? Only Democrats are allowed to celebrate this freedom?

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
    Where are you getting this quote from? Can you link to the article or timestamp.

Then your worker doesn't know history. But I asked for someone 'of note' in any case.

Leave a comment:

• DivineOb
    replied
    In the latter case Roker declared that:

hundreds of African-Americans were killed during racial unrest in 1921 on Juneteenth

Where are you getting this quote from? Can you link to the article or timestamp.

I should add that it was a black co-worker who this morning noted that the rioting took place weeks before Juneteenth (June 19). Apparently the left thinks or at least hopes that blacks are too ignorant to know their history
    Then your worker doesn't know history. But I asked for someone 'of note' in any case.

Leave a comment:

• Whateverman
    replied
    Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    A lot of people are taking for granted that the location of Tulsa was chosen specifically for that reason, but I haven't seen any evidence that actually indicates that.
    I'm asking for alternate explanations. I'm all ears if you have a better idea.
    I think this factoid is just an example of Trump's arrogance / elitism, which leads to him being oblivious about social issues. Not even social issues which he might use to his advantage.

I don't actually think he chose this date for its significance, or to otherwise make a statement.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Can you directly quote someone with words pasted into your reply where someone of note claims that the Tulsa massacre happened on Juneteenth? No one is saying that.

Calling this a 'hoax' only 1) proves the veracity of prior 'hoaxes' and 2) is just another way of insulting 'the coloreds' for being too stupid to know their own history until the 'white man' explains it to them.
    For example, from Vanity Fair: "The president will hold a large event in Oklahoma, 99 years after the city's infamous race massacre." Al Roker, on NBC's Today show made a similar claim while trying to goad Republican South Carolina Senator Tim Scott into denouncing Trump.

In the latter case Roker declared that:

hundreds of African-Americans were killed during racial unrest in 1921 on Juneteenth

I should add that it was a black co-worker who this morning noted that the rioting took place weeks before Juneteenth (June 19). Apparently the left thinks or at least hopes that blacks are too ignorant to know their history
    Last edited by rogue06; 06-12-2020, 01:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DivineOb
    replied
    JUST ANOTHER LEFT-WING HOAX

The WaPo and several other MSM news organizations have been trying to get folks to believe that Juneteenth, aside from the day that commemorates the end of slavery is also the time when Tulsa experienced one of the nation's worst race riots when mobs of white residents attacked black residents and businesses in Tulsa, and that Trump picked Tulsa to kick off his campaign rallies as a way of sticking a thumb in the eye of black Americans.

For example, from Vanity Fair: "The president will hold a large event in Oklahoma, 99 years after the city's infamous race massacre. Al Roker, on NBC's Today show made a similar claim while trying to goad Republican South Carolina Senator Tim Scott into denouncing Trump.

This led to responses like this from Senator Kamala Harris: "This isn't just a wink to white supremacists — he's throwing them a welcome home party."

Only one problem.

It is not true.

Yes, Tulsa experienced one of the most bloody race riots in America but it wasn't on Juneteenth as many have either outright declared and others have implied. You see, the riots took place on May 31 and June 1, 1921 -- well over two weeks before Juneteenth (June 19th).

Once again reality rains on the TDS parade but don't expect them to stop making this claim regardless of the facts of the matter or finally start wondering just how many times does the MSM have to shamelessly lie to them before they stop mindlessly regurgitating every claim they make.
    Can you directly quote someone with words pasted into your reply where someone of note claims that the Tulsa massacre happened on Juneteenth? No one is saying that.

Calling this a 'hoax' only 1) proves the veracity of prior 'hoaxes' and 2) is just another way of insulting 'the coloreds' for being too stupid to know their own history until the 'white man' explains it to them.
    Last edited by DivineOb; 06-12-2020, 01:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    JUST ANOTHER LEFT-WING HOAX
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/histo...race-massacre/

Trump has announced the first new rally he is going to hold will be on June 19th in Tulsa Oklahoma.

For those unaware, June 19th is the date when the last slaves were freed at the end of the Civil War.

For those unaware, Tulsa, Oklahoma, is the site of the worst racial violence in the USA where up to 300 African Americans were murdered in 1921 at the hands of white mobs.

I've been assured that Trump is not racist. It is hard for me to come up with a simple explanation for why he would hold his first new rally one that date in that location which doesn't have an anti-black component. I would be curious to hear any explanations which paint this benignly and which don't amount to "Trump does stuff" or something along those lines.
    The WaPo and several other MSM news organizations have been trying to get folks to believe that Juneteenth, aside from the day that commemorates the end of slavery is also the time when Tulsa experienced one of the nation's worst race riots when mobs of white residents attacked black residents and businesses in Tulsa, and that Trump picked Tulsa to kick off his campaign rallies as a way of sticking a thumb in the eye of black Americans.

For example, from Vanity Fair: "The president will hold a large event in Oklahoma, 99 years after the city's infamous race massacre. Al Roker, on NBC's Today show made a similar claim while trying to goad Republican South Carolina Senator Tim Scott into denouncing Trump.

This led to responses like this from Senator Kamala Harris: "This isn't just a wink to white supremacists — he's throwing them a welcome home party."

Only one problem.

It is not true.

Yes, Tulsa experienced one of the most bloody race riots in America but it wasn't on Juneteenth as many have either outright declared and others have implied. You see, the riots took place on May 31 and June 1, 1921 -- well over two weeks before Juneteenth (June 19th).

Once again reality rains on the TDS parade but don't expect them to stop making this claim regardless of the facts of the matter or finally start wondering just how many times does the MSM have to shamelessly lie to them before they stop mindlessly regurgitating every claim they make.

Leave a comment:

• Catholicity
    replied
    So I just want to add, that the campaign responded to people's concerns. From a fox news headline regarding C.J. Mccollum's Twitter questions of Trump.
    [/quote]"As the party of Lincoln, Republicans are proud of the history of Juneteenth, which is the anniversary of the last reading of the Emancipation Proclamation. President Trump has built a record of success for Black Americans, including unprecedented low unemployment prior to the global pandemic, all-time high funding for Historically Black Colleges and Universities, and criminal justice reform. Joe Biden spent last Juneteenth raising money at a private fundraiser and defending comments he made celebrating his work with segregationist senators," Katrina Pierson, a senior adviser to the Trump campaign said.[/quote] https://www.foxnews.com/sports/trail...lly-venue-date
    Of course, my personal issue with the above statement is that Trump's rallies appear to attract an enormous amount of racial tension, more so than any other president in Modern History, and he has a history of what I would consider at its best, complete idiocy, complementing white supremecists in public. In a time when racial tensions are so very very high, I would expect anyone absolutely anyone, who has a shred of self dignity to choose someplace that might not attract such tension. Of course Donald Trump has shown that he essentially enjoys the attention he gets from being a butthole.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Depends on the translation. Some versions have 616 but most others have 666.
    Do you know what 664 is? The neighbor of the beast!

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by Ronson View Post
    Tulsa is also the birthplace of Route 66. Add another 6 to that and Trump is admitting he is the Antichrist.

Leave a comment:

• Ronson
    replied
    A lot of his success seems to be predicated on him being blessed by the nature of his opponents. In comparison they make Trump look like the voice of reason.
    Well, at least his actions are reasonable. What he actually says is often embarrassing.

Leave a comment:

• DivineOb
    replied
    Originally posted by Ronson View Post
    Never heard of 616 before. I need to learn more languages... besides this one.
    The oldest fragment has 616 as the number and there is an alternate spelling of Nero's name which adds to 616.

Leave a comment: