Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Colored people get COVID-19 more because they do not wash their hands?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colored people get COVID-19 more because they do not wash their hands?

The bizzaro of GOP conservatism justification of racism does over the top accusation.

Source: https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/502214-ohio-lawmaker-asks-if-colored-population-is-hit-harder-by-coronavirus

Ohio lawmaker asks if 'colored population' is hit hard by coronavirus because they 'don't wash their hands as well'
    BY MORGAN GSTALTER - 06/11/20 09:13 AM EDT

A GOP state lawmaker in Ohio on Tuesday asked if “the colored population” is hit harder by the coronavirus because they possibly "don’t wash their hands as well as other groups" while speaking at a hearing on whether to declare racism a public health crisis.

Ohio state Sen. Steve Huffman, an emergency room physician, asked during a state Senate Health Committee hearing why African Americans are being disproportionately impacted by the pandemic, the Dayton Daily News reported.

“My point is I understand African Americans have a higher incidence of chronic conditions and it makes them more susceptible to death from COVID," Huffman said. "But why doesn’t it make them more susceptible to just get COVID?”

“Could it just be that African Americans or the colored population do not wash their hands as well as other groups or wear a mask or do not socially distance themselves? That could be the explanation of the higher incidence?”

Ohio Commission on Minority Heath director Angela Dawson, who is black, quickly dismissed to Huffman’s question.

“That is not the opinion of leading medical experts in this country,” Dawson said, adding that COVID-19 impacts the respiratory system and makes those with chronic conditions more vulnerable to the illness.

The question posited by the state lawmaker was quickly met with criticism.

Ohio Legislative Black Caucus President Stephanie Howse (D) told the Daily News the rhetoric represented systematic racism.

“He highlights what racism is from a systematic perspective. He’s a full legislator but beyond that, professionally, he’s a doctor,” Howse said.

“When we talk about the health disparities that happen because black folks aren’t believed when they’re actually hurt, they aren’t given the treatment that they need. Do you think that someone who acknowledges the ‘coloreds’ is going to give the love and care that people need when they come through those doors?”

Howse told the outlet that Huffman’s statement implied that African Americans are dirty and not smart enough to understand the importance of washing their hands.

State Sen. Cecil Thomas (D), who serves on the state Senate’s Health Committee, said audience members cringed at Huffman’s remark.

“He’s an example of why we have to have this discussion about racism and how it impacts people,” Thomas told the Daily News.

State Rep. Erica Crawley (D) said Huffman was implicating that Black people are less hygienic or clean, “which clearly isn’t the truth.”

“This right here is the underlying implicit bias/covery racism that was in the question,” Crawley wrote in a tweet.

© Copyright Original Source

Last edited by shunyadragon; 06-11-2020, 08:43 AM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Hmmm...

I'm not going to apologize for Huffman's question, but as I read it, it sounds to me like it could have been awkwardly-worded, rather than a suggestion that blacks aren't as clean as other races. I don't actually know the motivation behind the question, either way, though...

It's true that whites get better care at the doctor than African Americans, so it makes sense that this might cause the latter to either avoid going to the doctor, or to not get diagnosed as readily as whites do. This might help explain some of the COVID-19 disparity.

Comment

They also smell funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
        Hmmm...

I'm not going to apologize for Huffman's question, but as I read it, it sounds to me like it could have been awkwardly-worded, rather than a suggestion that blacks aren't as clean as other races. I don't actually know the motivation behind the question, either way, though...

It's true that whites get better care at the doctor than African Americans, so it makes sense that this might cause the latter to either avoid going to the doctor, or to not get diagnosed as readily as whites do. This might help explain some of the COVID-19 disparity.
        It might simply be genetics. Black Americans are also more susceptible to Sickle Cell Anemia. Perhaps covid can more easily find vulnerability among the black population.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
          It might simply be genetics. Black Americans are also more susceptible to Sickle Cell Anemia. Perhaps covid can more easily find vulnerability among the black population.
          Yeah, there are probably several factors which contribute to the disparity. Genetic, cultural, etc.

Comment

Not surprisingly, your thread title is a little misleading. What he actually said was “the colored population”, which, while still awkward, is not the same as saying "colored people", which is quite obviously unacceptable.

"People of Color" is often used as an attempt to identify a people without being insulting.

Do you believe Huffman was purposely being insulting?

Ohio Legislative Black Caucus President Stephanie Howse (D) did the same thing you're doing --- she phrased it as "the coloreds", which is obviously NOT what Huffman said.

You guys are just trying to find racism where there is none, because, in my opinion, you're racist*.

*I'm being facetious, but it amazes me how far people will go to try to see racism where none is intended.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Not surprisingly, your thread title is a little misleading. What he actually said was “the colored population”, which, while still awkward, is not the same as saying "colored people", which is quite obviously unacceptable.

"People of Color" is often used as an attempt to identify a people without being insulting.

Ohio Legislative Black Caucus President Stephanie Howse (D) did the same thing you're doing --- she phrased it as "the coloreds", which is obviously NOT what Huffman said.

You guys are just trying to find racism where there is none, because, in my opinion, you're racist*.

*I'm being facetious, but it amazes me how far people will go to try to see racism where none is intended.
              That doesn't surprise me nearly as much as the number of people that claim to not want to be racist who will dismiss any possibility an action was racist.

Although I guess that is the easiest way to 'not' be racist. Just refuse to admit anything actually IS racist.
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                That doesn't surprise me nearly as much as the number of people that claim to not want to be racist who will dismiss any possibility an action was racist.

Although I guess that is the easiest way to 'not' be racist. Just refuse to admit anything actually IS racist.
                So, you believe Huffman was trying to be racist, Jim?

And you think this is funny?
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Folks that are that obsessed with racism as ox is is a sure sign they're likely projecting.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                    Folks that are that obsessed with racism as ox is is a sure sign they're likely projecting.
                    SERIOUSLY, it's like these guys are closet racists and are trying to atone for their evil thoughts or something. I've shared some of this with my black friends, and they think these people are NUTS!

Comment

SERIOUSLY, it's like these guys are closet racists and are trying to atone for their evil thoughts or something. I've shared some of this with my black friends, and they think these people are NUTS!
                      These days it's called "virtue signalling".

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                        These days it's called "virtue signalling".
                        On steroids.

Comment

So, you believe Huffman was trying to be racist, Jim?
                          Can you explain how defining the difference between blacks and whites is how much they wash their hands?

Yes, it is a racist statement.
                          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

They also smell funny.
                            You've been watching Mississippi Burning [one of my favourite films]again!
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            The things that you're liable
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life
                            Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                              You've been watching Mississippi Burning [one of my favourite films]again!
                              No, just something I heard as a kid. I'm sure I've seen the movie but can't recall. Dramas really aren't my thing.

Comment