Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

How Is This Not Racist...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Trump’s Approval Slips Where He Can’t Afford to Lose It: Among Evangelicals

But numerous polls have shown that like most other Americans, religious Americans increasingly disapprove of how the president is doing his job — a shift that would imperil Mr. Trump’s re-election if he is not able to reverse it.

The high marks that white evangelicals and white Catholics were giving the president earlier this year have slipped lately as the rallying effect that boosted him at the beginning of the coronavirus crisis has faded.
    I agree. But it isn't clear why that slip has happened and his unChristian nature was evident long before 2020 when his approval was much higher. It seems very unlikely to me that people are finally waking up to "who he is" vs the first three years of his presidency. As I alluded to previously regarding that result the only reason I can really think of is that people are responding to the economy.

If you have a hypothesis I'm all ears.

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
      I agree. But it isn't clear why that slip has happened and his unChristian nature was evident long before 2020 when his approval was much higher.
      For a lot of us, the theatrics and bad optics of using the Bible as a prop was a bit over the top.

It seems very unlikely to me that people are finally waking up to "who he is" vs the first three years of his presidency. As I alluded to previously regarding that result the only reason I can really think of is that people are responding to the economy.

If you have a hypothesis I'm all ears.
      I, for one, did not vote for him because of his moral character, but as an alternate choice to Hillary whose moral character was also in the gutter, and whose record on issues like abortion and SCOTUS were quite objectionable.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        For a lot of us, the theatrics and bad optics of using the Bible as a prop was a bit over the top.
        I'm know you're sick of talking about Trump so I won't list off all his moral failings which predate a week ago and which, to me, are a million times worse since many of them actually affect other humans in a meaningful way.

I don't want to be mean but this answer just makes Christians look bad IMO. And that event wasn't even a bridge too far for many on this board from what I've seen.

I, for one, did not vote for him because of his moral character, but as an alternate choice to Hillary whose moral character was also in the gutter, and whose record on issues like abortion and SCOTUS were quite objectionable.
        I know you're not all aboard the Trump train. But there are many who, at least until very recently, *have been*. Most Christians on this board *still are* from what I can tell. If MR wants me to believe that the answer to *all problems* is Jesus then it needs to be explained why evangelicals, people uniquely equipped to know Jesus, have supported a man so manifestly unChristlike. People can still vote Republican and express their displeasure with the man. Instead of principle I just see realpolitik.

Unless I can get a *good* answer to that question MR's preaching just looks like a bunch of words. And I'm a *believer* that Christianity can turn lives around! But she's claiming that it not only that it can but that it is *the answer*.

Comment

I'm know you're sick of talking about Trump so I won't list off all his moral failings which predate a week ago and which, to me, are a million times worse since many of them actually affect other humans in a meaningful way.
          You managed to get it in there, though.

I don't want to be mean but this answer just makes Christians look bad IMO. And that event wasn't even a bridge too far for many on this board from what I've seen.
          Christians aren't all the same.

I know you're not all aboard the Trump train. But there are many who, at least until very recently, *have been*. Most Christians on this board *still are* from what I can tell. If MR wants me to believe that the answer to *all problems* is Jesus then it needs to be explained why evangelicals, people uniquely equipped to know Jesus, have supported a man so manifestly unChristlike. People can still vote Republican and express their displeasure with the man. Instead of principle I just see realpolitik.
          I'll go ahead and dump this out there, then you'll call me out on it, and I'll have to rephrase, probably, but I'm tired, so let's just get it out there....

Trump is crooked up front -- Hillary is sneaky crooked. The Democrats, which used to be the "God and Country" party, are anything but that.

Unless I can get a *good* answer to that question MR's preaching just looks like a bunch of words. And I'm a *believer* that Christianity can turn lives around! But she's claiming that it not only that it can but that it is *the answer*.
          I believe it was George Washington (did you know he wrote books on gentlemanly conduct and such?) who wrote "if a man cannot be constrained from within, he must be constrained from without". I also believe that a change of heart is much more impactful than a change of mind. That Christ can change a man's character and desires and will and purpose and motives.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
            Who said police target black people just so they can kill them?
            Isn't that the whole thing about George Floyd? That cops are unjustly killing black men?
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Donald Trump has sky high approval from Christians despite being he least Christ-like person to ever be President. How can this collection of words mean *anything* when someone so transparently unChristian and even anti-Christian is not recognized by the strongest believers?

Yet I'm supposed to believe that this collection of words has the answer to generational poverty caused and continued by the war on some drugs unequally applied to people of color? Madness.

You have no real response to what I said so you blame Trump.

Stop blaming somebody else! Look to your own life! And your own eventual death and your own eternity!
              Last edited by mossrose; 06-09-2020, 09:02 AM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                You have no real response to what I said so you blame Trump.

Stop blaming somebody else! Look to your own life! And your own eventual death and your own eternity!
                There is nothing for me to respond to.

Comment

There is nothing for me to respond to.

Then don't bother spouting more Trump blaming, either.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Then don't bother spouting more Trump blaming, either.
                    I'm not blaming Trump! I'm saying that if following your religion leads you to voice approval of a man who embodies *none* of the virtues it espouses then I have a hard time believing your religion can solve actually difficult issues which have plagued societies since we've had societies.

I created a thread today and had some Christians *defending* assault on a 75 year old man! You really expect me to put any value into a religion which can lead one to support such actions? What an utterly incoherent worldview!

Comment

I'm not blaming Trump! I'm saying that if following your religion leads you to voice approval of a man who embodies *none* of the virtues it espouses then I have a hard time believing your religion can solve actually difficult issues which have plagued societies since we've had societies.

I created a thread today and had some Christians *defending* assault on a 75 year old man! You really expect me to put any value into a religion which can lead one to support such actions? What an utterly incoherent worldview!
                      I don't support Trump.

Comment

I don't support Trump.
                        I guess, in the sense that I am a US taxpayer, I do.

Comment

I don't support Trump.
                          Marvelous. A huge fraction of believers in this country *do*! He was even rated as a better president than Lincoln for FSM's sake!

Comment

Marvelous. A huge fraction of believers in this country *do*! He was even rated as a better president than Lincoln for FSM's sake!
                            Well, I for one on this site can actually say with truth, that he is not my President.

However, I would gladly swap him for Trudeau any day.

Comment