Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The George Floyd Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The George Floyd Challenge

Racism isn’t increasing, it’s just being filmed. Will Smith said that. It’s also true that social media is recording What has always existed because the people who hold these prejudices don’t realize the platforms are public.

Check out these winners:

C2680CCE-E7B5-42A4-8B53-EF7DBA505907.jpeg

F5C4FA2C-CFC7-4BCA-83FA-BC1701B7CD17.jpeg

00BA0374-0CCF-4910-A9F5-5C689893F92D.jpeg
    Last edited by whag; 06-06-2020, 08:52 PM.

I saw kids doing this but adults who own a small business? And with that shirt on. That's insane.

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
      I saw kids doing this but adults who own a small business? And with that shirt on. That's insane.
      You think that’s bad, look at what some NYPD officers did after the death of Eric Garner in 2014:

FFE18B30-828B-49FE-8308-FF33E437D450.jpeg

Comment

That's just so dumb. Some senior cop thought of that and all the more junior guys had to insist it was the funniest thing they ever heard.

(I'm just not going to comment on the impropriety of the shirt.)

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
          Racism isn’t increasing, it’s just being filmed. Will Smith said that. It’s also true that social media is recording What has always existed because the people who hold these prejudices don’t realize the platforms are public.

Check out these winners:
          I probably agree with Will Smith. The images you attached are pretty bad, but I'm sure if I looked I could find black on white racism just as often. And both would be rare.

I live out in hillbilly land, the Ozarks, where it is about 95% white. I haven't met a single person out here who thinks what happened to Floyd is funny.

Comment

Well putting aside those cherry picked references I see no reason to think the George Floyd thing was racist.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
              Well putting aside those cherry picked references I see no reason to think the George Floyd thing was racist.
              Coming from someone who didn’t think the term “white nationalism” was racist, i’m shocked.

Comment

Coming from someone who didn’t think the term “white nationalism” was racist, i’m shocked.
                There is still no evidence that the George Floyd thing was racist. If you have some please offer it. And what was the context of the white nationalism thing?
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

There is still no evidence that the George Floyd thing was racist. If you have some please offer it. And what was the context of the white nationalism thing?
                  If you forgot the context, I can’t help you. In that thread, Adrift was so disheartened by your stance, he left Tweb. Given your stance on systematic racism in US police departments, I’m sure no one is surprised that you once were dismayed that the term white nationalism has a bad rap. Your sentiment was in line with Steve King’s and not surprisingly shared by conservative Christians with extreme views.

We once had a discussion where you said God helped you in a time of doubt by making a potted fern plant fly in the sky just for you. I’m not going to bother to change your mind about systematic racism in the US. You’re obviously not “all there.”

Comment

If you forgot the context, I can’t help you. In that thread, Adrift was so disheartened by your stance, he left Tweb. Given your stance on systematic racism in US police departments, I’m sure no one is surprised that you once were dismayed that the term white nationalism has a bad rap. Your sentiment was in line with Steve King’s and not surprisingly shared by conservative Christians with extreme views.
                    Well where is the evidence of systematic racism in US police departments? And are you speaking of this thread: http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...te+nationalism

We once had a discussion where you said God helped you in a time of doubt by making a potted fern plant fly in the sky just for you. I’m not going to bother to change your mind about systematic racism in the US. You’re obviously not “all there.”
                    Right, no evidence.

Comment

Right, no evidence.
                      For someone who claimed God floated a potted fern in the sky to remove your doubt, that’s rich.

Comment

It may or may not have been racism, but there is a record of police abuse against blacks. Perhaps people just don't film it when it happens to whites.

Comment

For someone who claimed God floated a potted fern in the sky to remove your doubt, that’s rich.
                          It wasn't a potted fern, but it did happen just as posted... But again, no evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                            It may or may not have been racism, but there is a record of police abuse against blacks. Perhaps people just don't film it when it happens to whites.
                            No Jim, it isn't news when it happens to whites - doesn't fit the narrative. And remember Jim, in higher more dangerous crime areas you are more likely to see aggressive policing.

Comment

There is still no evidence that the George Floyd thing was racist.
                              There's plenty of evidence in the form of a documented history of the death of black men in police encounters, but whether that evidence makes a persuasive case is open to interpretation.

There's a difference between evidence and proof. We have evidence that Floyd's killing had a racial component, but for me, that doesn't prove it was the primary motivator.

Comment