Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Defund Police...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seer View Post
    Exactly, the same with pepper spray.
    I was never a fan of pepper spray or mace or anything else like that --- AFTER you spray the guy, you're going to put him in your patrol car with you, and cry all the way to the station.
    Plus, it seemed like 80% of the time, I was always DOWNWIND of the guy who needed spraying.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      From what little we know, at this point, yes.

Brooks resisted a DUI arrest.

The two officers both tased Brooks without effect (I wonder if it was more than just alcohol in his system)

He broke free, ran off a short distance, turned and aimed what appears to have been a gun at one of the officers.

It turns out that it was a taser that Brooks took from one of them but in the dark, in the heat of the fight it is not in any way reasonable to demand that the officers just stand there and wait to see what happens in these circumstances.

Brooks got shot as a result.

Again, with what we know now, there does not appear to be anything wrong that the police did
      From what I know he was shot in the back after already firing the taser, so the officer had to know it was a taser. No reason to kill the guy for falling asleep in his car, drunk or not. They had his car, they could have easily tracked him down. This is the problem, deadly force should be the very last resort and it seems some cops are a little bit too trigger happy, particularly when it comes to black suspects.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
        From what I know he was shot in the back after already firing the taser, so the officer had to know it was a taser. No reason to kill the guy for falling asleep in his car, drunk or not. They had his car, they could have easily tracked him down. This is the problem, deadly force should be the very last resort and it seems some cops are a little bit too trigger happy,
        This part....

particularly when it comes to black suspects.
        ..is demonstrably false. Studies have shown it over and over.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          I was never a fan of pepper spray or mace or anything else like that --- AFTER you spray the guy, you're going to put him in your patrol car with you, and cry all the way to the station.
          Plus, it seemed like 80% of the time, I was always DOWNWIND of the guy who needed spraying.
          I bought some last year and tried in on myself - man the stuff works!
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I bought some last year and tried in on myself - man the stuff works!
            Seasoned your stakes with it?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Seasoned your stakes with it?
              No, kind of sprayed it in my face to see if it worked - it did!
              Last edited by seer; 06-14-2020, 11:12 AM.
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

I learned the hard way to make sure the wind isn't blowing toward you when you spray it.

Comment

• All Members of SWAT Team in Florida City Resign, Including Police Union President, Over Chief Kneeling With Protesters

The entire special weapons and tactics (SWAT) Team of the Hallandale Beach Police Department resigned on Friday in response to Police Chief Sonia Quinones kneeling alongside protesters demonstrating against anti-black police brutality.

On Friday, City Manager Greg Chavarria received a memorandum dated June 9 from members of SWAT team. In the memo, the officers submitted their resignation. One of the officers was the newly elected president of the International Union of Police Associations (IUPA) Police Union.

The memo said the SWAT team was "minimally equipped, under-trained and often times restrained by the politicization of our tactics." It accused city leaders of not providing an adequate budget to address these needs.

The memo also claimed that the city's Vice-Mayor Sabrina Javellana made "ignorant and inaccurate statements attacking the lawful actions" of the police and SWAT teams in speeches and on social media including "having the gall to compare us to the Minneapolis Police Department."

It went on to accuse Quinones of "taking a knee in solidarity" with Javellana and other political activists who allegedly chanted "Howard Bowe, reopen the case, State Attorney, reopen the case."

https://www.newsweek.com/all-members...eeling-1510637

The actual resignation document:

https://www.scribd.com/document/4654...-PD#from_embed

Comment

One of those "Under Siege" movies, the bad guy grabs it from the girl and sprays it in his mouth to show her how ineffective it is on him.

Comment

One of those "Under Siege" movies, the bad guy grabs it from the girl and sprays it in his mouth to show her how ineffective it is on him.
                      My brother's captain (in the police) was immune to it and used to spray it on his food for "spice"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        I learned the hard way to make sure the wind isn't blowing toward you when you spray it.
                        At least you didn't do it on purpose...

Comment

Folks can build up a tolerance FWIU but nothing like it being no more than breath spray.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Two years ago my father was helping handling a pyromaniac prisoner down after he had set fire to his mattress. One of the younger guards had gotten the pepper spray and had missed the prisoner hitting my father square in the face.

Comment

At least you didn't do it on purpose...
                              My experience was with good old fashioned tear gas.

When I was a kid I bought a "pen" on which you screwed on a small container of tear gas with a primer in the base. The spring-loaded striker would cause it to spray a 3' cloud about 5' away.

As I rode home from the sporting good store I foolishly screwed in one of the tear gas charges while I had the striker pulled back with the little handle/lever pushed over into a notch to keep it loaded.

Well, I hit a bump and my thumb hit the handle/lever and "BANG!" I rode through the tear gas.

Fortunately it only got in one eye. Equally fortunately I was right in front of the public library.

I stumbled inside with tears virtually gushing out of my eye in a steady stream. I used the water fountain to wash out my eye so at least the stinging was reduced. Did nothing for the flow of tears.

Don't remember how long my eye kept streaming tears but it was about a 20 minute ride back home and it had pretty much stopped by the time I got there.

Then it was hit the Visine bottle and hide the pen gun and the two remaining rounds.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                                Two years ago my father was helping handling a pyromaniac prisoner down after he had set fire to his mattress. One of the younger guards had gotten the pepper spray and had missed the prisoner hitting my father square in the face.
                                Another reason why I never liked using it.
                                You can accidentally get sprayed by a buddy, the subject can grab it and spray you, you can spray yourself by not realizing you're spraying upwind, and when it's all over, that 'sprayed on guy' has to go in somebody's patrol car.
                                We DID, however, have to go through the "gas chamber" where we were subjected to REAL "tear gas" - not just pepper spray.
                                I don't ever EVER wanna do that again.

Comment