Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Defund Police...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defund Police...

Do these idiots realize what their city would look like without law enforcement?

Movement to defund police gains 'unprecedented' support across US

The movement to defund the police is gaining significant support across America, including from elected leaders, as protests over the killing of George Floyd sweep the nation.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-floyd-budgets
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

If someone shoots your family member, I guess you could just shoot their whole family. No cops, no problem. They can send around conflict resolution teams when the dust settles.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      Do these idiots realize what their city would look like without law enforcement?
      You're missing the nuance of this. It doesn't mean get rid of law enforcers but threaten departments to take action against police brutality (no easy bonuses and rewards, stricter vetting of officers' ability to de-escalate).

As Chris Rock said, if the same amount of bad apples were to be airline pilots, planes would be going down daily.

You don't seem to understand that you represent a very large demographic that doesn't see any problem at all with American policing. Police departments have to acknowledge there's a problem and address the need to improve officer vetting and training. Airlines would not be so lax in hiring pilots because of the risk to life and property.

Comment

I'm not accusing you of anything, but your OP's bolded text doesn't really support the claim; the article seems to have done this as well.

I read the article, and I didn't see any examples of non-activists suddenly deciding that the police needed to be defunded due to the latest shooting of a black man. All I saw were governors and mayors trying to deal with the financial emergency.

The need to slash city budgets (due to COVID-19 expenses and revenue-loss) does NOT represent support for the activist push to defund the police.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
          I'm not accusing you of anything, but your OP's bolded text doesn't really support the claim; the article seems to have done this as well.

I read the article, and I didn't see any examples of non-activists suddenly deciding that the police needed to be defunded due to the latest shooting of a black man. All I saw were governors and mayors trying to deal with the financial emergency.

The need to slash city budgets (due to COVID-19 expenses and revenue-loss) does NOT represent support for the activist push to defund the police.
          No according to BLM

https://blacklivesmatter.com/defundthepolice/

#DefundThePolice
          May 30, 2020
          Enough is enough.

Our pain, our cries, and our need to be seen and heard resonate throughout this entire country.

We demand acknowledgment and accountability for the devaluation and dehumanization of Black life at the hands of the police.

We call for radical, sustainable solutions that affirm the prosperity of Black lives.

George Floyd’s violent death was a breaking point — an all too familiar reminder that, for Black people, law enforcement doesn’t protect or save our lives. They often threaten and take them.

Right now, Minneapolis and cities across our country are on fire, and our people are hurting — the violence against Black bodies felt in the ongoing mass disobedience, all while we grapple with a pandemic that is disproportionately affecting, infecting, and killing us.

We call for an end to the systemic racism that allows this culture of corruption to go unchecked and our lives to be taken.

We call for a national defunding of police. We demand investment in our communities and the resources to ensure Black people not only survive, but thrive. If you’re with us, add your name to the petition right now and help us spread the word.

https://blacklivesmatter.com/defundthepolice/

And

What a World Without Cops Would Look Like

Following the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis and an outbreak of police violence in response to nationwide protests, calls for change in America’s police departments are coming from activists, public officials, and celebrities. But unlike past attempts to reform the police in the wake of high-profile killings of people of color, which often centered on increased oversight or training, this time the demands are far more radical: defund police departments or abolish them entirely.

https://www.motherjones.com/crime-ju...-george-floyd/
          Last edited by seer; 06-04-2020, 11:37 AM.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Comment

If that happens, it means I won't have to wait a half hour for the cops to show up- in a small town of less than 40k people might I add- when I call them about a violent and mentally unstable person on store property refusing to leave.

I mean, Texas defunded Planned Parenthood, but their abortion mills still have a presence in that state. Likewise, I don't see Cop Shops closing anytime soon, it just means they're going to have to adapt if they want to stick around.
              Last edited by Chaotic Void; 06-04-2020, 12:32 PM.
              Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                I read the article, and I didn't see any examples of non-activists suddenly deciding that the police needed to be defunded due to the latest shooting of a black man.
                No according to BLM

[...]
                I guess I'm objecting to counting the emergency-need to slash governmental budgets as support for the Defund movement.

The article did that, not necessarily you.

It doesn't surprise me at all that other activists would tune into Defund activism...

EDIT: whoa, garbled post
                Last edited by Whateverman; 06-04-2020, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Time to buy more guns. I guess without police I could even get machine guns, and rocket launchers. Cool.

Who wants to start a Mad Max compound with me?

Comment

Can we just let California be our testbed for this?

Remove ALL cops from Cali, send ALL the "defund cop" nutters there, and it won't be long before Cali's Electoral College allocation goes WAY down.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Can we just let California be our testbed for this?

Remove ALL cops from Cali, send ALL the "defund cop" nutters there, and it won't be long before Cali's Electoral College allocation goes WAY down.
                      And if you don't have cops, then you don't need laws, because you won't have any way to enforce them. So you can defund the legislature too. Heck the entire state government.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        And if you don't have cops, then you don't need laws, because you won't have any way to enforce them. So you can defund the legislature too. Heck the entire state government.
                        And their movie companies can make all kinds of disaster movies without traveling out of state! Heck, they can do HORROR REALITY shows!
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          And their movie companies can make all kinds of disaster movies without traveling out of state! Heck, they can do HORROR REALITY shows!
                          The Purge, 365 days a year!

Comment

Sadly yes. The good thing is that this will happen in leftist cities so the rest of us will get to watch...

Comment

We would need to rescue our beloved CaliTwebists.

Comment