Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Defund Police...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    Have other states had success with this? I've heard rumors of other states doing it as well.
    I don't think there are any examples of cities or states that have actually abolished a police force without simply replacing it with another police force or other group that functions exactly like a police force.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Have other states had success with this? I've heard rumors of other states doing it as well.
      I don't think any state has done it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        I don't think there are any examples of cities or states that have actually abolished a police force without simply replacing it with another police force or other group that functions exactly like a police force.
        Which is what Camden did, and is NOT what Minneapolis is proposing.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Here we go again.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-man-shot-dead

It would appear that every single police shooting of a black person is going to have this effect no matter what the circumstances.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
            Here we go again.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-man-shot-dead

It would appear that every single police shooting of a black person is going to have this effect no matter what the circumstances.
            You believe that the shooting here was justified?

Comment

You believe that the shooting here was justified?
              From what little we know, at this point, yes.

Brooks resisted a DUI arrest.

The two officers both tased Brooks without effect (I wonder if it was more than just alcohol in his system)

He broke free, ran off a short distance, turned and aimed what appears to have been a gun at one of the officers.

It turns out that it was a taser that Brooks took from one of them but in the dark, in the heat of the fight it is not in any way reasonable to demand that the officers just stand there and wait to see what happens in these circumstances.

Brooks got shot as a result.

Again, with what we know now, there does not appear to be anything wrong that the police did

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                He broke free, ran off a short distance, turned and aimed what appears to have been a gun at one of the officers.
                It was a taser. In no description has it been revealed that he was holding a gun.

Comment

It was a taser. In no description has it been revealed that he was holding a gun.
                  As I noted in the other thread, this is what Brooks would have been pointing at the officer

Remember, it was dark. You have an intoxicated, violent person spin around with a distinctly gun-like object in his hand which he is aiming at you. You have quite literally a split second to react. Do you really think that anyone should be required to wait until it is ascertained for certain that it is indeed a loaded firearm (which practically speaking would be determined only after he open fire and you were likely shot) before taking action?

And as I also mentioned in the other thread, maybe we should start issuing tasers that are bright yellow instead of black like I've seen Brit cops use

So that there is a much better chance that something like this doesn't happen in the future.

Comment

• Well you could have worded it as "and aimed what appeared to the officers to have been a gun at one of the officers."

Otherwise you would be saying that he in actual fact was holding a gun. Just a correction.

Comment

As I noted in the other thread, this is what Brooks would have been pointing at the officer

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45611[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]45612[/ATTACH]

Remember, it was dark. You have an intoxicated, violent person spin around with a distinctly gun-like object in his hand which he is aiming at you. You have quite literally a split second to react. Do you really think that anyone should be required to wait until it is ascertained for certain that it is indeed a loaded firearm (which practically speaking would be determined only after he open fire and you were likely shot) before taking action?

And as I also mentioned in the other thread, maybe we should start issuing tasers that are bright yellow instead of black like I've seen Brit cops use

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45613[/ATTACH]

So that there is a much better chance that something like this doesn't happen in the future.
                      Our Tasers are ALL very bright yellow - kind of hard to mistake them for a gun.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        The ones I've seen pictures of from Georgia, South Carolina, Florida and Virginia are like the ones I showed. It is also what I've seen police carrying around Atlanta. They only have a bright yellow tab over the end of the "barrel" but that would have come off when the police fired them.

In any case, I think all police should have the completely bright yellow ones.

Comment

I believe the police have the right to use deadly force against a taser.
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                            I believe the police have the right to use deadly force against a taser.
                            An argument could be made for that, because the taser could immobilize the officer long enough for the subject to grab the officer's gun and finish him off.

Comment

An argument could be made for that, because the taser could immobilize the officer long enough for the subject to grab the officer's gun and finish him off.
                              Exactly, the same with pepper spray.
                              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

The ones I've seen pictures of from Georgia, South Carolina, Florida and Virginia are like the ones I showed. It is also what I've seen police carrying around Atlanta. They only have a bright yellow tab over the end of the "barrel" but that would have come off when the police fired them.

In any case, I think all police should have the completely bright yellow ones.
                                The ones pictured have black tips -- that'd be odd -- these things are not huge, the officer's hand will cover most of the yellow, except the 'barrel' and the tip.
                                That's why toy guns are sold with bright orange tips - THAT's what you see when they're pointed at you.

Comment