Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Defund Police...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    Their cars don't have reverse? Or do their pedals only have two settings none or full power?
    Go back and read what I said. The cars I saw were SURROUNDED by rioters. Rioters tend to have car-breaking stuff. What would I or you do?

I suspect you saw cars with people standing in FRONT only. I didn't.

I asked about Europe because I saw news about their rioting over immigration and joblessness. Don't remember about any other issues. What did the police do?
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

• Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
      Yes, I saw cars with protesters in front of them. One car drives up to them pushes against them, while they're protecting themselves with a piece of barricade. Another car swoops in accelerating into the crowd.

Tell me again why all of that was needed?

I asked about Europe.because I saw news about their rioting over immigration and joblessness. Don't remember about any other issues. What did the police do?
      Europe is not like the US, we're not one country, we're many different countries. I don't know much about those other riots or how the police behaved, I know about my own country.

Comment

Go back and read what I said. The cars I saw were SURROUNDED by rioters. Rioters tend to have car-breaking stuff. What would I or you do?

Yeah, and there's a greater expectation from a crowd that a car will go forward, since that's how they were designed, and it makes more sense to be able to see what's in front of you than behind you.

We've seen these cars turned over on their tops by crowds, windows smashed, and molitov cocktails thrown inside.... when you take it upon yourself to assault a vehicle like that, you shouldn't be terribly surprised if they're gonna want to get out of there in a hurry.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Yeah, and there's a greater expectation from a crowd that a car will go forward, since that's how they were designed, and it makes more sense to be able to see what's in front of you than behind you.

We've seen these cars turned over on their tops by crowds, windows smashed, and molitov cocktails thrown inside.... when you take it upon yourself to assault a vehicle like that, you shouldn't be terribly surprised if they're gonna want to get out of there in a hurry.
          It was the police who were driving up to the crowd, it was not the crowd who was coming to meet the cruiser.

Comment

Yes, I saw cars with protesters in front of them. One car drives up to them pushes against them, while they're protecting themselves with a piece of barricade. Another car swoops in accelerating into the crowd.

Tell me again why all of that was needed?

Europe is not like the US, we're not one country, we're many different countries. I don't know much about those other riots or how the police behaved, I know about my own country.
            Ok. I should clarify these situations that I followed happened in late 90s and early 00s. Every now and then I hear something. And yes they were different countries. It was bad. I wondered if you had seen that kind of thing because it seems to me you're very emotional about this. Just wondered.

Leonhard, as CP said, people had been throwing stuff at squads....the cops aren't going to stick around when their lives are on the line and they can't book it out of there on foot...They have familes like everybody else and they're also fond of life like everybody else.

There IS something broken and needs to be fixed.

Comment

It was the police who were driving up to the crowd, it was not the crowd who was coming to meet the cruiser.
              Which city and when? So I can look it up.

Comment

Which city and when? So I can look it up.
                Check it out for yourself. No officers around to have things thrown at them. Just a couple of officers in police cruisers aggroing on a crowd for the crime of having plastic bottles thrown at their van. Plenty of room behind to back away.

Comment

• Thanks. I've found a longer clip regarding the situation as well. This was last week so I'll have to dig a bit.

As I said, I don't trust the media.

Comment

Thanks. I've found a longer clip regarding the situation as well. This was last week so I'll have to dig a bit.

As I said, I don't trust the media.
                    This is just a video recording I was able to drag up, there are alternate versions of it, some longer I'm sure. I just wanted to show you the one I was thinking of.

Comment

• I'm not satisfied with what I'm seeing. This shot of what happened there doesn't show much of what's going on at the back...were there a crowd surging? People about to toss stuff like they did at the front? Or was it in fact wide open back there? Can't tell.

The mayor has said there will be an investigation, so there hopefully will be more angles to see soon. In the meantime I won't have an opinion.

Comment

• Meanwhile, a great question....

Is 'Defund the Police' a massive political mistake?

(CNN)On Friday, DC Mayor Muriel Bowser had a massive mural reading "Black Lives Matter" in block yellow lettering painted on 16th Street near the White House. The next day, activists painted another message -- in that exact same yellow lettering -- on the same street. It read: "Defund the Police."
                        Amid the ongoing protests in the wake of the death of George Floyd, calls to defund the police have grown increasingly loud -- particularly among the activists who are taking to the streets to urge politicians to act.
                        And in several places, governments are acting.
                        On Sunday, nine members of the Minneapolis City Council, the city where Floyd died, pledged to "begin the process of ending the Minneapolis Police Department."

and, closing...

The political problem for Democrats is this: They are now being backed into a corner by activists who are demanding radical change. But it's not at all clear that a majority of the country supports a policy that would defund the police. Democratic leaders need to change the conversation to be about reforming police departments and re-allocating some resources for more community building and less militarization.
                        If they can't, the call to "Defund the Police" will continue to be music to Trump's ears.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Meanwhile, a great question....

Is 'Defund the Police' a massive political mistake?

(CNN)On Friday, DC Mayor Muriel Bowser had a massive mural reading "Black Lives Matter" in block yellow lettering painted on 16th Street near the White House. The next day, activists painted another message -- in that exact same yellow lettering -- on the same street. It read: "Defund the Police."
                          Amid the ongoing protests in the wake of the death of George Floyd, calls to defund the police have grown increasingly loud -- particularly among the activists who are taking to the streets to urge politicians to act.
                          And in several places, governments are acting.
                          On Sunday, nine members of the Minneapolis City Council, the city where Floyd died, pledged to "begin the process of ending the Minneapolis Police Department."

and, closing...

The political problem for Democrats is this: They are now being backed into a corner by activists who are demanding radical change. But it's not at all clear that a majority of the country supports a policy that would defund the police. Democratic leaders need to change the conversation to be about reforming police departments and re-allocating some resources for more community building and less militarization.
                          If they can't, the call to "Defund the Police" will continue to be music to Trump's ears.
                          Again, that's what defunding the police means, and that is what the democrats in congress, as well as Joe Biden support. They are sponsering legislation to that effect right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                            Again, that's what defunding the police means, and that is what the democrats in congress, as well as Joe Biden support. They are sponsering legislation to that effect right now.
                            That's not what they're calling for in Minneapolis, Jim. They have gone psycho crazy in a knee-jerk reaction to the extreme left nutters in your party.

Perhaps it's time for you to clearly separate yourself from this idiocy?

Comment

That's not what they're calling for in Minneapolis, Jim. They have gone psycho crazy in a knee-jerk reaction to the extreme left nutters in your party.

Perhaps it's time for you to clearly separate yourself from this idiocy?
                              If the police won't regulate themselves, they will be regulated by outsiders who don't understand them.

Comment

If the police won't regulate themselves, they will be regulated by outsiders who don't understand them.
                                So, get the unions out of the way, and allow them to be regulated.

Comment