Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Anti-gay bills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Christy View Post
    Okaay? I didn't claim that all or most Christians sponsor gay criminalization in Africa. I apologize if it came off that way. I don't think the article did either really,
    "While LGBT folks might sometimes be guilty of ignoring Christian oppression, it seems that straight Christians do LGBT folks one worse. Rather than merely ignoring LGBT oppression, Christians sometimes fund it."

He engages in the exact same type of generalization that I did, with the exception being that the average Christian probably finds the practice abhorrent whereas the average gay doesn't care much for their own sexual restraint, let alone that of other gays.

not saying that I agree with everything that the person who wrote the article agrees with, seeing that the author seems to be far left and for abortion, if you read the about the author section.
    All the more reason not to quote him.

I wouldn't say all do.
    So what?
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Oh, I was talking about the first article from The Daily Beast. I guess you can read that that she's lumping American Conservatives together when she writes;
      Yet the ideology underlying the bill comes from American conservatives
      She did name the ones she was talking about and mentioned a conservative that was against it. I just posted that blog because it had links to other articles about anti gay laws in it.
      Last edited by Christy; 05-23-2014, 08:17 PM.

Comment

I have never been billed for being anti-gay.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

What do people think about this: http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...ngelicals.html The article is pretty old but the bill has been passed.
          I think they (the Ugandans and others) should stop thinking that the only other option besides acceptance is to criminalise homosexuality.

Comment

I know you say "as a group," but not all gays are like that though, and I don't think that a gay person who doesn't do all of those things should be punished for the ones that do. Neither are all minorities or feminists for that matter. According to the site it's against the law to even counsel or offer housing to gay people.
            Well, firstly, the bill isn't even getting it right. "Sodomy", as in, gay sex, is supposed to be the crime, not just feeling gay urges. The latter is something that, while you do have influence over it, it's not completely within your control. The former is a direct action, that requires complete, conscious consent of both parties (cases of rape excluded, of course).
            Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
              Well, firstly, the bill isn't even getting it right. "Sodomy", as in, gay sex, is supposed to be the crime, not just feeling gay urges.
              I'm not sure how it makes sense to say that "sodomy is supposed to be the crime" when what is criminalised isn't limited to sodomy.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                I'm not sure how it makes sense to say that "sodomy is supposed to be the crime" when what is criminalised isn't limited to sodomy.
                "Sodomy is supposed to be the crime" is a reference to the Biblical prohibition.
                I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                  "Sodomy is supposed to be the crime" is a reference to the Biblical prohibition.
                  Probably this is so. What I'm questioning is the implicit assumption that the civil laws should follow a certain standard - presumably the Mosaic Law, and that to do so is "getting it right".

Comment

You guys have it backwards as usual. Just as we punish criminally inclined black people for self-destructive but technically victimless drug charges in the United States not because we're bent out of shape about them using drugs, but because we really have no true place in society for most of them other than prison, black people in Africa punish disease-incubating hedonists and social poisons for the extremely disgusting but also technically victimless crime of sodomy.

Neither God nor nature will be mocked for long.

Comment

Probably this is so. What I'm questioning is the implicit assumption that the civil laws should follow a certain standard - presumably the Mosaic Law, and that to do so is "getting it right".
                      Yes, the Mosaic Law was for a time when God was very visibly, personally involved with day to day affairs (Teal mentioned this in another thread, I believe), and a smaller society, and one would think that all the culturally specific provisions in the law would serve as a clue that it was not universally normative.

Of course, last time I made this type of argument, I got blasted as a Marcionite.
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

Of course, last time I made this type of argument, I got blasted as a Marcionite.
                        Some people are just
                        Last edited by Paprika; 05-24-2014, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Yes, the Mosaic Law was for a time when God was very visibly, personally involved with day to day affairs (Teal mentioned this in another thread, I believe), and a smaller society, and one would think that all the culturally specific provisions in the law would serve as a clue that it was not universally normative.

I don't really understand its relevance in this case though. What made homosexuality so bad back then but makes it highly tolerable now? If anything we actually have more information on its detrimental effects on society today that people back then didn't.
                          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

I'm aware that it just applies to Mosaic Law, however, for a leader(s) who wants to base his entire nation upon the Christian religion, it doesn't really matter. The Bible makes it clear that homosexual acts are a depraved immorality.
                            Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
                              I'm aware that it just applies to Mosaic Law, however, for a leader(s) who wants to base his entire nation upon the Christian religion, it doesn't really matter. The Bible makes it clear that homosexual acts are a depraved immorality.
                              Do they really (the political leaders)? If so, why don't they follow the Mosaic Law and make homosexual acts punishable by death? Adultery is also considered a serious sin. Why don't they criminalise it too?

Comment

Do they really (the political leaders)? If so, why don't they follow the Mosaic Law and make homosexual acts punishable by death? Adultery is also considered a serious sin. Why don't they criminalise it too?
                                When did I ever say I advocated the death penalty for sodomy? That seems far too harsh.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment