Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Anti-gay bills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti-gay bills

What do people think about this: http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...ngelicals.html The article is pretty old but the bill has been passed.

Originally posted by Christy View Post
    What do people think about this: http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...ngelicals.html The article is pretty old but the bill has been passed.
    I don't want to say anything for fear of the backlash.
    Last edited by TimelessTheist; 05-23-2014, 03:51 PM.
    Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

Why are you afraid of the backlash?

Comment

Why are you afraid of the backlash?
        Alright, I guess I'll say it: I would support criminalization of it, but I wouldn't go as far as to institute the death penalty for it.

Though, it's curious that around 93% of Ugandans actually support the bill in question.
        Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

What would you suggest we do? Send in more military personnel into yet another African country? I guess it's too bad Uganda apparently doesn't have as rich of natural resources or a booming economy as a country like Nigeria does.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
            What would you suggest we do? Send in more military personnel into yet another African country? I guess it's too bad Uganda apparently doesn't have as rich of natural resources or a booming economy as a country like Nigeria does.
            You really want to go to war with a country because they passed a law you don't agree with?

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
              You really want to go to war with a country because they passed a law you don't agree with?
              Pretty sure he was being something other than entirely serious.
              Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
                Sorry I wasn't able to express the sarcasm as good as I wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                  Pretty sure he was being something other than entirely serious.
                  Well, it's hard to express sarcasm in text.....and, remember, this is the Internet.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

I don't know, call out the evangelicals in America that are funding and spreading paranoia to other countries http://www.patheos.com/blogs/questia...s-oppression/#

Comment

Gays as a group have a lot of interest in whining about muh rights but very little interest in doing anything about muh responsibilities, like not spreading deadly STDs. This is not unlike other groups of the progressive coalition like minorities and feminists. Then they're shocked when people get fed up with their irresponsible behavior and want to punish/kill them.
                      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                        Gays as a group have a lot of interest in whining about muh rights but very little interest in doing anything about muh responsibilities, like not spreading deadly STDs. This is not unlike other groups of the progressive coalition like minorities and feminists. Then they're shocked when people get fed up with their irresponsible behavior and want to punish/kill them.
                        I know you say "as a group," but not all gays are like that though, and I don't think that a gay person who doesn't do all of those things should be punished for the ones that do. Neither are all minorities or feminists for that matter. According to the site it's against the law to even counsel or offer housing to gay people.

Comment

I know you say "as a group," but not all gays are like that though, and I don't think that a gay person who doesn't do all of those things should be punished for the ones that do. Neither are all minorities or feminists for that matter. According to the site it's against the law to even counsel or offer housing to gay people.
                          Not all (or even most) Christians sponsor gay criminalization in Africa but that didn't stop you from linking to yet another whiny liberal throwing broad accusations around. It seems to me that nobody (including you) is all that interested in individual responsibility, which makes sense because the world isn't that simple. As it stands even gays who don't engage in reckless sexual behavior still support those who do and fight back against people who point out said behavior. Kind of how like most blacks got behind wannabe killer Trayvon Martin. People are tribalistic animals. Even God recognized that and acted accordingly (IE: punishing Egyptians in general for Pharaoh's stubbornness). I don't want to have people demanding individualism when it suits them and tribalism when it doesn't. But since that's what we have that's what I'm gonna do. When in Rome and all that.
                          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

I remember reading about some pastors in Uganda who were upset because one of the laws as written would have required them to turn people into the government instead of helping them, if somebody were to come in and confide that they were struggling with the homosexual lifestyle.
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Okaay? I didn't claim that all or most Christians sponsor gay criminalization in Africa. I apologize if it came off that way. I don't think the article did either really, not saying that I agree with everything that the person who wrote the article agrees with, seeing that the author seems to be far left and for abortion, if you read the about the author section.

It seems to me that nobody (including you) is all that interested in individual responsibility
                              You're wrong there.

As it stands even gays who don't engage in reckless sexual behavior still support those who do and fight back against people who point out said behavior
                              I wouldn't say all do.
                              Last edited by Christy; 05-23-2014, 05:39 PM.

Comment