Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Oxford University Covid vaccine showing great promise.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oxford University Covid vaccine showing great promise.

Oxford University months ahead in race for a Covid-19 vaccine. The vaccine has been proven successful in monkeys and is being tested on humans now. If all goes well, it's possible that it will be available for use by September which is way ahead of previous estimates.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-52394485

It will be interesting to hear the results of subjecting lab animals to wild coronavirus. The attempt to make a vaccine after the 2002 SARS CoV outbreak led to animals reacting with hyper-immune responses. There has not been any success in making a coronavirus vaccine yet, so it is odd to have optimism toward getting a successful one out in short notice. I'm surprised that they want to get this test vaccine to medical workers first. It would seem that medical workers would be more careful about what shots they are given.

The other big issue is that the present coronavirus, at least in most localities (and overall stats), is of a magnitude of a bad flu seasons. So it seems hardly necessary to have a vaccine for this. The flu vaccine was reported by Dr. Dean Edell, on his radio show, to substantially increase the chance of Alzheimers for people that got even just four yearly vaccines. So,even the flu vaccine is not all wonderful. We certainly will not quickly have four years of results (for cumulative effects) on this proposed vaccine for coronavirus.
    Last edited by mikewhitney; 04-29-2020, 01:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
      It will be interesting to hear the results of subjecting lab animals to wild coronavirus. The attempt to make a vaccine after the 2002 SARS CoV outbreak led to animals reacting with hyper-immune responses. There has not been any success in making a coronavirus vaccine yet, so it is odd to have optimism toward getting a successful one out in short notice. I'm surprised that they want to get this test vaccine to medical workers first. It would seem that medical workers would be more careful about what shots they are given.

The other big issue is that the present coronavirus, at least in most localities (and overall stats), is of a magnitude of a bad flu seasons. So it seems hardly necessary to have a vaccine for this. The flu vaccine was reported by Dr. Dean Edell, on his radio show, to substantially increase the chance of Alzheimers for people that got even just four yearly vaccines. So,even the flu vaccine is not all wonderful. We certainly will not quickly have four years of results (for cumulative effects) on this proposed vaccine for coronavirus.
      This us an example Mike of what Ivwas talking about. This is not ' just a bad flu', and for many, many reasons. A person driven by the data and actual research could never make such a claim, but it is the claim of a great deal of internet nuttery that is floating around right now.

So I'm not going to any further, except to point this out. the death toll will be way beyond the flu, even with all the efforts we've already made. The type of illness, the ravaging effect severe illness has on the lungs, the long term after effects, its insidious nature that makes detection difficult w/o full population testing and tracking.
      Last edited by oxmixmudd; 04-29-2020, 05:21 AM.
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

The reason for testing medical workers first is because medical workers, unfortunately, are the most suceptable to infection.
        As Ox pointed out, this is not the common flu, as you've likely heard from whoever it is you listen to. For one thing coronavirus seems to transmit much more easily and is much more deadly and can leave the more susceptable with life long health effects. The risks of bypassing some regulations in getting a vaccine into circulation as soon as possible are outwieghed by the devastation to both the worlds health and the worlds economy that the virus has and will continue to cause if it isn't brought under control.

And btw, where did you get the idea that flu vaccine increases the risk of alzheimers? I looked it up and found that the study actually showed that it may decrease the risk of dementia and alzheimers. Although I don't think there is good evidence for the latter case either.
        Last edited by JimL; 04-29-2020, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
          This us an example Mike of what Ivwas talking about. This is not ' just a bad flu', and for many, many reasons. A person driven by the data and actual research could never make such a claim, but it is the claim of a great deal of internet nuttery that is floating around right now.

So I'm not going to any further, except to point this out. the death toll will be way beyond the flu, even with all the efforts we've already made. The type of illness, the ravaging effect severe illness has on the lungs, the long term after effects, its insidious nature that makes detection difficult w/o full population testing and tracking.

Jim. It isn't the Black Death. And it isn't the Spanish Flu.

It is new and different, yes, but it is just a flu. Need to keep things in perspective, k?

Great news from Oxford if this becomes a viable vaccine.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

It is new and different, yes, but it is just a flu. Need to keep things in perspective, k?
            But- but keeping things in perspective doesn't make Trump look bad!
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
              Oxford University months ahead in race for a Covid-19 vaccine. The vaccine has been proven successful in monkeys and is being tested on humans now. If all goes well, it's possible that it will be available for use by September which is way ahead of previous estimates.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-52394485
              Like!
              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Covid-19 is caused by the coronavirus, thus the name, while the flu is caused by the influenza virus. Calling it "just the flu" is a mistake. Like the seasonal flu, Covid-19 is a virus, but it isn't "just the flu". Calling Covid-19 "just the flu" is like calling the flu "just a cold".

Comment

Covid-19 is caused by the coronavirus, thus the name, while the flu is caused by the influenza virus. Calling it "just the flu" is a mistake. Like the seasonal flu, Covid-19 is a virus, but it isn't "just the flu". Calling Covid-19 "just the flu" is like calling the flu "just a cold".
                  Both are viruses. There are differences in incubation times and severity......in some cases.........but it is still "like" the flu, if you prefer that terminology better.

And it's still not the bubonic plague or the Spanish flu.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I'm sorry to have to tell you the news. I am relying on data when I posted here. All the big projections were totally wrong, were impossible from the beginning. Your interpretation is due to being closer to the areas that had worse cases than normal. So, you are free from having to comment further.

Comment

The reason for testing medical workers first is because medical workers, unfortunately, are the most suceptable to infection.
                      First, if the vaccine has not been tested with wild coronavirus, the possible effects on people could be a magnification of the results when exposed to the wild virus.

Second, I remember hearing about college students suffering bad, life-long, effects from being on trials for new medicines. Of course, the college students assumed the medicine would be safe enough to be of low risk to them.

Comment

It is not the black death, that much or what you said is true. Not sure yet if it is worse than or better than the Spanish flu, BUT it is a great deal more insidious in that it creates it's own typhoid Mary's by the thousands that can spread it without even knowing they have it.

You been mislead by whatever sources have led you to believe this. As I've mentioned before, the flu we normally deal with, or even the more virulent H1N1 doesn't devastate the medical system the way this virus has, it doesn't leave people dying in the halls of hospitals if we don't institute strict social distancing protocols. And it doesn't sweep through elderly care homes routinely killing 1/10 to 1/4 their population for each one it gains a foothold. And it doesn't shut down meat processing plants because of the number of employees that are dying.
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Both are viruses. There are differences in incubation times and severity......in some cases.........but it is still "like" the flu, if you prefer that terminology better.

And it's still not the bubonic plague or the Spanish flu.
                          In terms of it's mortality, it is much more like the Spanish flu than our typical winter flu. For the elderly, it is worse with mortality exceeding 10%. Again, you are being mislead by ignorant sources that have latched onto this idea mostly for political expediency.

Comment

In terms of it's mortality, it is much more like the Spanish flu than our typical winter flu. For the elderly, it is worse with mortality exceeding 10%. Again, you are being mislead by ignorant sources that have latched onto this idea mostly for political expediency.
                            Ok, Jim. Have it your own way. But just so you know, I haven't been misled by anyone, least of all those who might latch on to this idea for political expediency. The only people I've heard who are latching on for political expediency are those on the left, including the leader of my country.

However, it isn't worth arguing about it with you. You will believe whatever you desire no matter what anybody says. So have at it.

Comment

The flu vaccine was reported by Dr. Dean Edell, on his radio show, to substantially increase the chance of Alzheimers for people that got even just four yearly vaccines. So,even the flu vaccine is not all wonderful.
                              Where? When? A search turns up no such comment whatsoever by him. In fact, it turns up statements of him complaining about those who oppose vaccination. Can you give an actual citation for this? Because this claim seems completely false.

Comment