Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Media Bias

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
    For there to be a contradiction I would have to have been arguing that everyone should unreservedly "support Trump" (your words, not mine) and agree with him on everything. That's not was I was saying.
    I'll take your word on that, but it leaves unresolved the question of what you mean you say words.

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
    Right now everyone should get behind Trump, faults and all ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
      I'll take your word on that,
      Too kind. No, really.

Originally posted by Juvenal
      but it leaves unresolved the question of what you mean you say words.
      I guess we'll never know....

On another note, it strikes me that your 'nal' should really be 'nile', and my 'Max' should really be 'Dri'.
      ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Too kind. No, really.

I guess we'll never know....

On another note, it strikes me that your 'nal' should really be 'nile', and my 'Max' should really be 'Dri'.
        Cute. I've love to see what you do with carpedm9587!
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
          Cute. I've love to see what you do with carpedm9587!
          Well, since 9=i, 5=e, 8=h and 7 = g, adding those to the letters already in carpedm gives us....

... Hie, mad creep G

or

Gah! C dim peer
          ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Well, since 9=i, 5=e, 8=h and 7 = g, adding those to the letters already in carpedm gives us....

... Hie, mad creep G

or

Gah! C dim peer
            I think I like "mad creep."

Thanks for making me snort my coffee up my nose...
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• I was watching CNN a little this morning and I decided instead of extreme left, they should be OCD. They grab an issue and just run with it and you would bearly know anything else was going on in the world. (In fairness, CNN.com is better than this.) I remember thinking during the Mueller investiagation that I was waiting for the headline "Robert Mueller goes to the bathroom. What this means and why it shows Trump's impeachment is imminent."
              "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

• Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                I was watching CNN a little this morning and I decided instead of extreme left, they should be OCD. They grab an issue and just run with it and you would bearly know anything else was going on in the world. (In fairness, CNN.com is better than this.) I remember thinking during the Mueller investiagation that I was waiting for the headline "Robert Mueller goes to the bathroom. What this means and why it shows Trump's impeachment is imminent."
                When the media platform is 24/7 - the lack of news has to be filled with something. You see a similar thing on the weather channel. Every small storm is exaggerated and consequences explored to the nines. The problem, as Pix has correctly noted, is that a real crisis can get lost in the noise. I believe her phrase is "when everything is a crisis - nothing is." It's a POV I agree with, but an unavoidable side-effect of the 24/7 news cycle coupled with the revenue-producing nature of news.

Comment

• The other problem with 24/7 news is that organizations care more about being first than being correct. I've noticed that some of the sources I prefer tend to lag behind the mainstream media when it comes to reporting the "big" story of the day, but that's because they're waiting for more information so they can present a more complete picture instead of going for "You heard it here first!"
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                    When the media platform is 24/7 - the lack of news has to be filled with something. You see a similar thing on the weather channel. Every small storm is exaggerated and consequences explored to the nines. The problem, as Pix has correctly noted, is that a real crisis can get lost in the noise. I believe her phrase is "when everything is a crisis - nothing is." It's a POV I agree with, but an unavoidable side-effect of the 24/7 news cycle coupled with the revenue-producing nature of news.
                    I lived in Los Angeles in the early 90s when there was a battle in Moscow between old-guard communists held up in the Kremlin and Yeltsin's democratic forces on the outside. I thought it was incredibly important to stay on top of the chaos in the capitol of a nuclear superpower. The fate of the country was hanging in the balance (Gorbachev was hiding out in his dachau). Back in the day before modern Internet, I searched TV and radio to find out what was going on - and there was nothing but fluff and stupidity on TV. Only one station carried the battle live, the local CBS news radio station, KNX. I called them to thank them for being on top of it. That was a weird time, too.

ETA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_R...utional_crisis
                    Last edited by Ronson; 04-28-2020, 03:53 PM.

Comment

• Guess who said this before checking the link:

Link

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
                        Guess who said this before checking the link:

Link
                        I think you meant to post that elsewhere. That's not my quote or what I had posted about.

Comment