Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Barr and Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
    What Trump doesn't have is the kind of fixed ideology that inspired Stalin, or Hitler, or Pol Pot. He has boundaries that will make him turn aside, but not conventional boundaries. His boundaries are ratings-based. The same people who cheered "lock her up" panned "good people on both sides," and so we ended up with more of one and less of the other.

It's our misfortune that folks are still cheering what's happening on our southern border.
    You have a good point. It takes a several factors to drive a person into becoming a Stalin etc. It's not just one or the other. And I agree Trump does not seem to be driven by any overarching goal other than his own success.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      I think he's done and just watching you and I. I'm done too, but I'm willing to linger a few posts in an effort to help put your paranoia to rest. The problem is not some insidious effort to troll or gaslight you MM, but rather your inability, whatever its source, to understand what has been said.
      Actually, I made the decision several days ago that I was no longer going to rise to MM and Pix's bait. For MM it was after I saw the degree to which his bias extends and his inability to recognize or acknowledge it, making the end-point of any discussion largely a foregone conclusion. Fox neutral? The mind still boggles at the notion. With Pix it was after several attempts to point out the caricature she had built up in her mind and finally deciding she was basically married to that caricature and was not likely to let it go. For both, I'll respond to a directed question, but the comments and accusations I don't waste time on anymore. It's pointless since it is clear their minds are made up by the time they make their first post and no amount of explanation is going to shift it.

The emoji is my way of saying, "I'm still watching/reading." I lurk if the issue is independent of me as a person. Who cares about lurkers? However, I let people know I'm still there if the discussion somehow involves me, or I was previously engaged, and I want to convey I'm still there/reading.

BTW - MM's claim about my laughing that you came to my defense is incorrect, as is the assertion that I'm trolling. But I suspect you already knew that.
      Last edited by carpedm9587; 04-25-2020, 12:50 PM.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        For MM it was after I saw the degree to which his bias extends and his inability to recognize or acknowledge it...
        Did you really miss the entire exchange between us where I readily acknowledged that I have my biases?

For the "casual reader" () here's a link to the beginning of the discussion that I'm referring to:

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post730733

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        BTW - MM's claim about my laughing that you came to my defense is incorrect, as is the assertion that I'm trolling.
        I really don't think I am. The fact that you felt compelled to encourage ox on this point is a pretty big giveaway. You're just setting the hook a little deeper to keep ox on the line. Be honest, if you really thought it wasn't obvious you're just trolling, you would have simply ignored my apparently astute observation.

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Did you really miss the entire exchange between us where I readily acknowledged that I have my biases?
          Yes, I did - as well as the posts where you responded that you deal with those biases through "honest self-assessment" and the ranking of Brietbart as "right" and Fox News as "Neutral." Enough said...

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          For the "casual reader" () here's a link to the beginning of the discussion that I'm referring to:

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post730733

I really don't think I am. The fact that you felt compelled to encourage ox on this point is a pretty big giveaway. You're just setting the hook a little deeper to keep ox on the line. Be honest, if you really thought it wasn't obvious you're just trolling, you would have simply ignored my apparently astute observation.

The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Yes, I did - as well as the posts where you responded that you deal with those biases through "honest self-assessment" and the ranking of Brietbart as "right" and Fox News as "Neutral." Enough said...
            Did you really miss it, or were you lying when you falsely claimed that I failed to recognize or acknowledge my biases?

Allow me to quote myself for the benefit of the "casual reader":

"Neither of us is being objective here; I'm just the only one who has enough honesty and self-awareness to admit it."

Comment

Did you really miss it, or were you lying when you falsely claimed that I failed to recognize or acknowledge my biases?
              I did not miss it at all. You are quote-mining yourself, MM, omitting the places where, when asked how you deal with your biases, you responded that you do it through "honest self-assessment," and summarily dismissed anyone who raised an eyebrow at the idea of someone internally overcoming their own bias as "not being capable of honest self-assessment," thereby confirming that you are pretty much locked into your biases - immune from any outside input - and rendering your statement about being aware of your own biases moot. Of course, that will render you incapable of even being able to acknowledge any of this as "useful input" either.

The classification of Fox News as "neutral" was merely confirmation as to how extensively right-leaning your bias actually is, hence my decision about exchanges.

Consider that a gift, MM. You get to win every exchange just by posting without asking anything!

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Last edited by carpedm9587; 04-25-2020, 01:47 PM.

Comment

I did not miss it at all.
                So you were lying when you falsely claimed that I failed to recognize or acknowledge my biases. Got it.

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                The classification of Fox News as "neutral" was merely confirmation as to how extensively right-leaning your bias actually is...
                But I readily admit I'm biased, and in truth, you're just as biased as I am, but you've fooled yourself into thinking you're being objective. But I'm not going to rehash this debate. Any interested "casual reader" can go read the thread for themselves.
                Last edited by Mountain Man; 04-25-2020, 02:06 PM.

Comment

• The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

Comment

• for carp, "quote-mining" appears to mean "accurately quoting him in context"

Comment

So you were lying when you falsely claimed that I failed to recognize or acknowledge my biases. Got it.

But I readily admit I'm biased, and in truth, you're just as biased as I am, but you've fooled yourself into thinking you're being objective. But I'm not going to rehash this debate. Any interested "casual reader" can go read the thread for themselves.
                      I read it. What you even now fail to recognize is there are biases which you can't uncover on your own, and without recognizing the need for objective external input, you can never even hope to understand your own bias as it actually is. This is why the scientific process is constructed as it is. Why there is peer review. Why there needs to be independent validation of results. Why you or I should listen to those that disagree with us (at least when they are making thoughtful arguments and not just tossing out insults or knee jerk sarcasm)
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                        I read it. What you even now fail to recognize is there are biases which you can't uncover on your own, and without recognizing the need for objective external input, you can never even hope to understand your own bias as it actually is. This is why the scientific process is constructed as it is. Why there is peer review. Why there needs to be independent validation of results. Why you or I should listen to those that disagree with us (at least when they are making thoughtful arguments and not just tossing out insults or knee jerk sarcasm)
                        History suggests this will go nowhere...

Comment