Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Lab Leak: The conspiracy theory is shaping up to look like real possibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post
    I'm not sure what you are talking about. No one can say for sure that it wasn't a lab leak, and I don't think a leak from any particular lab has been ruled out.

Fauci did claim that the viruses created under the NIAID contract did not cause the pandemic, and that's not really in question.
    That would be him relying on the released reports from China after the fact wouldn't it? China wouldn't hide anything would it?

The leaked documents already show Fauci was misleading congress as to the research being done if not outright lying. You can couch it anyway you like but experimenting on and teaking viruses trying to get them to infect human cells when they don't already do that is "gain of function"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      That would be him relying on the released reports from China after the fact wouldn't it? China wouldn't hide anything would it?
      You seem to be suggesting that for several years, they said what they were going to do, did it, and reported on the results. And then at some point, they lied about what they were going to do, did something else, and suppressed the results.

While it may not be possible to prove that didn't happen, it seems like the sort of accusation for which one would need evidence.

The leaked documents already show Fauci was misleading congress as to the research being done if not outright lying. You can couch it anyway you like but experimenting on and teaking viruses trying to get them to infect human cells when they don't already do that is "gain of function"
      The leaked documents show that it was not the purpose of the experiment to create a virus that was more infectious to humans, and there wasn't much reason to expect that the created viruses would be significantly more infectious to humans. So it's not gain-of-function research.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Fauci the Fraud has a well documented history of saying a lot of things that have turned out to be not exactly true, so he's not a credible source.
        As if everything you've ever said turned out to be true...

Comment

The leaked documents show that it was not the purpose of the experiment to create a virus that was more infectious to humans, and there wasn't much reason to expect that the created viruses would be significantly more infectious to humans. So it's not gain-of-function research.

What have you been smoking? What other purpose would there be to keep trying to infect humanized mice with tweaked viruses? "Oh we were trying NOT to get the virus to infect human cells"

Comment

As if everything you've ever said turned out to be true...
            Unlike Fauci the Fraud, I'm not a purported expert shaping public policy with lies and misinformation.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              What other purpose would there be to keep trying to infect humanized mice with tweaked viruses? "Oh we were trying NOT to get the virus to infect human cells"
              One other purpose would be to test predictions about how successful certain viruses would be at infecting humans.

Source: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/21055989-understanding-risk-bat-coronavirus-emergence-grant-notice

Specific Aim 3: Testing predictions of CoV inter-species transmission. Aim 3: Testing predictions of CoV inter-species transmission. We will test our models of host range (i.e. emergence potential) experimentally using reverse genetics, pseudovirus and receptor binding assays, and virus infection experiments in cell culture and humanized mice. With bat-CoVs that we've isolated or sequenced, and using live virus or pseudovirus infection in cells of different origin or expressing different receptor molecules, we will assess potential for each isolated virus and those with receptor binding site sequence, to spill over. We will do this by sequencing the spike (or other receptor binding/fusion) protein genes from all our bat-CoVs, creating mutants to identify how significantly each would need to evolve to use ACE2, CD26/DPP4 (MERS-CoV receptor) or other potential CoV receptors. We will then use receptor-mutant pseudovirus binding assays, in vitro studies in bat, primate, human and other species' cell lines, and with humanized mice where particularly interesting viruses are identified phylogenetically, or isolated. These tests will provide public health-relevant data, and also iteratively improve our predictive model to better target bat species and Co Vs during our field studies to obtain bat-CoV strains of the greatest interest for understanding themechanisms of cross-species transmission.

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

Unlike Fauci the Fraud, I'm not a purported expert shaping public policy with lies and misinformation.
                My point is that "saying a lot of things that have turned out to be not exactly true" is not necessarily the same as spreading lies and misinformation. At least not in Fauci's case.

Comment

One other purpose would be to test predictions about how successful certain viruses would be at infecting humans.

Source: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/21055989-understanding-risk-bat-coronavirus-emergence-grant-notice

Specific Aim 3: Testing predictions of CoV inter-species transmission. Aim 3: Testing predictions of CoV inter-species transmission. We will test our models of host range (i.e. emergence potential) experimentally using reverse genetics, pseudovirus and receptor binding assays, and virus infection experiments in cell culture and humanized mice. With bat-CoVs that we've isolated or sequenced, and using live virus or pseudovirus infection in cells of different origin or expressing different receptor molecules, we will assess potential for each isolated virus and those with receptor binding site sequence, to spill over. We will do this by sequencing the spike (or other receptor binding/fusion) protein genes from all our bat-CoVs, creating mutants to identify how significantly each would need to evolve to use ACE2, CD26/DPP4 (MERS-CoV receptor) or other potential CoV receptors. We will then use receptor-mutant pseudovirus binding assays, in vitro studies in bat, primate, human and other species' cell lines, and with humanized mice where particularly interesting viruses are identified phylogenetically, or isolated. These tests will provide public health-relevant data, and also iteratively improve our predictive model to better target bat species and Co Vs during our field studies to obtain bat-CoV strains of the greatest interest for understanding themechanisms of cross-species transmission.

© Copyright Original Source

So they take a virus, try to infect a humanized mouse, then CREATE MUTATIONS of that virus to see if they can get those to infect humanized mice and you don't see that as "gain of function?"

That procedure describes "gain of function" research to a tee. They are mutating viruses to get them to "gain the function" of being able to infect humans.

Not sure how you are not seeing that Stoic.

Comment

My point is that "saying a lot of things that have turned out to be not exactly true" is not necessarily the same as spreading lies and misinformation. At least not in Fauci's case.
                    I was being sarcastic, so allow me to be blunt: Fauci is a liar.

Comment

I was being sarcastic, so allow me to be blunt: Fauci is a liar.
                      Serially.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                        I don't know much about the Telegraph and how credible they are, as if we really needed an article like this to spell out the obvious (bold emphasis mine)...

Fauci's team of scientists working in collusion with the CCP to cover this up sounds perfectly plausible.
                        Look at how quickly they were out there with that letter as well. And not only did they not reveal their conflicts of interest back then, FWICT, there was another opportunity to do so and none did.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Serially.
                          That's easy to claim, but as we've seen, it's harder to prove.

Comment

Because a serial liar tends to excel at obfuscation.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Not hard to prove, merely impossible to convince those like you who worship at his feet.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                Look at how quickly they were out there with that letter as well. And not only did they not reveal their conflicts of interest back then, FWICT, there was another opportunity to do so and none did.
                                It's important to also note that that was the main reason the lab leak story was getting shunned in the media, why science publications shunned studies about it, and what caused the chilling effect with other scientists. That was the eye-opening mechanism to me of how the science machine works and how influential just a few powerful and influential corrupt scientific heads can be to the entire machine.

Comment