Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Lab Leak: The conspiracy theory is shaping up to look like real possibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post

Has anyone confirmed that the lab employees were infected with covid-19 yet?
    confirming anything is pretty hard when you have a communist government bent on covering everything up and stopping all investigation. There were reports that the lab techs were infected back when this started. I don't think there is any way we will ever KNOW if there was a lab leak or not, unless someone in the Chinese government releases such information. All I am saying is that given all of the circumstantial evidence we have, it is highly LIKELY that a lab leak occurred. More likely than it happening naturally.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

confirming anything is pretty hard when you have a communist government bent on covering everything up and stopping all investigation. There were reports that the lab techs were infected back when this started. I don't think there is any way we will ever KNOW if there was a lab leak or not, unless someone in the Chinese government releases such information. All I am saying is that given all of the circumstantial evidence we have, it is highly LIKELY that a lab leak occurred. More likely than it happening naturally.
      I agree.

Some people have been overstating the case, though: "And the first confirmed cases being among employees who worked at the lab is just a coincidence?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post

I agree.

Some people have been overstating the case, though: "And the first confirmed cases being among employees who worked at the lab is just a coincidence?"
        I guess it depends on what you mean by "confirmed" - The original report came from a US intelligence report, so the government believed the information to be reliable enough to put it in a report

https://www.wsj.com/articles/intelli...mobilewebshare

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I guess it depends on what you mean by "confirmed" - The original report came from a US intelligence report, so the government believed the information to be reliable enough to put it in a report

https://www.wsj.com/articles/intelli...mobilewebshare
          In the given context, I think of "confirmed cases" as "confirmed covid-19 cases", which the intelligence report specifically did NOT say these were.

The significance of the intelligence report is not that it confirms cases of covid-19 in the lab workers, but that it contradicts the claim in the WHO report on the virus's origins:

"The three laboratories in Wuhan working with either CoVs diagnostics and/or CoVs isolation and vaccine development all had high quality biosafety level (BSL3 or 4) facilities that were well-managed, with a staff health monitoring programme with no reporting of COVID-19 compatible respiratory illness during the weeks/months prior to December 2019, and no serological evidence of infection in workers through SARS-CoV-2-specific serology-screening."

This, of course, decreases our trust in what the Chinese say about the origins of the virus, but it's not quite a smoking gun.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Roger that.

Um....

which one?
            Baha'i Bob. He jess cain't hep hisself, and it's painful to watch.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              Baha'i Bob. He jess cain't hep hisself, and it's painful to watch.
              I think he's a cross between Biden and Trump.

Everything he hates about Trump expressed in ways that makes Biden look cogent.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                I remember back in the 80s or 90s hearing that oriental is a type of rug not a person. Apparently it started in the late 60s when the term "Asian American" first arose.

Here are a few articles
                • NBC: Bill to Remove 'Oriental' from Federal Law Passes Senate, Heads to Obama ("On Monday, the Senate unanimously passed a bill that would remove the word from the last known laws in the United States Code where it applies to a person")
                • JSTOR (Science paper): Language matters: the vocabulary of racism in health care ("...the vocabulary of health care – both in its literature and the language of officialdom – has proved resistant to the use of this lexicon of acceptable terms, as exemplified by the portrayal of peoples as 'Oriental' and 'Negro'. What makes such language racist is the historical legacy it carries – that is, its symbolic importance.")
                • About Japan: What's the Matter with Saying 'The Orient'? ("There are several reasons scholars now avoid using phrases like "the East," "the Far East," and "the Orient," including the exoticism they convey, their association with modern empires, the skewed view of world geography they present, and their tendency to homogenize large, diverse parts of the world as if they shared a single cultural identity")
                • Los Angeles Times: The term ‘Oriental’ is outdated, but is it racist? ("It is now politically incorrect to use the word “Oriental,” and the admonition has the force of law: President Obama recently signed a bill prohibiting use of the term in all federal documents. Rep. Grace Meng, the New York congresswoman who sponsored the legislation, exulted that “at long last this insulting and outdated term will be gone for good.”") A somewhat opposing POV
                • NPR: 'Oriental': Rugs, Not People ("It's an adjective that used to describe rugs, not people. That's the message New York Gov. David Paterson turned into law this week when he signed a bill that bans state documents from using the term "oriental" when referring to people of Asian or Pacific heritage.")
                • NBC: After 50 years of 'Asian American,' advocates say the term is 'more essential than ever' ("The term Asian American, however, signaled a shared and interconnected history of immigration, labor exploitation and racism, as well as a common political agenda. It was also a pushback against the pejorative word "Oriental.")
                • Red Tricycle (website for parents): 10 Words & Phrases You Might Not Know Are Racist ("As a term previously used to dehumanize people, “oriental” is a word that can evoke a racist history and make people feel disenfranchised. To understand this, we have to appreciate the origin and historical usage. Scholars, like Erika Lee, have noted that the word “oriental” was tied to anti-Asian sentiment, violence, and xenophobic legislation (such as lynching and the Chinese Exclusion Act) in the 19th and 20th centuries.)
                • Wikipedia: Orient: ("The term Oriental can be considered a pejorative and disparaging term when used to describe an East Asian person when following social norms of the United States.")
                • Collins Dictionary: Oriental ("NOUN offensive 5. (usually cap) a native or inhabitant of the Orient")
                • Free Dictionary: Oriental (1. Often Offensive An Asian, especially a South Asian, Southeast Asian, or East Asian.)
                • Webster's Dictionary: Oriental (The adjective oriental, which carries strong associations with colonialism and with language that others and exoticizes, is usually considered offensive when used by non-Asian people to describe people of various Asian identities. Its use to describe elements of Asian culture oriental music // an oriental garden // some times has a dated feel, but is not usually regarded as offensive. ... The noun Oriental has a long history of association with colonialism and with language that others and exoticizes people of various Asian identities. While Oriental is not offensive in senses 2 and 3 above, the use of Oriental to refer to a person is usually considered offensive.)
                Good heavens are such academic institutions as the Institute of Oriental Studies in Bamberg, the Oriental Institute in Chicago, the Oriental Fine Arts Academy of London, and the School of Oriental and African Studies [also in London] now deemed to be "racist" institutions?

I am reminded of the comment made by Margaret Cho "I think what it is, is that white people like to tell Asians how to feel about race because they're too scared to tell black people. It’s easier, we have less melanin, we’re probably not going to protest, there’s no hashtag #koreanlivesmatter."

"It ain't necessarily so
                The things that you're liable
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life
                Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Good heavens are such academic institutions as the Institute of Oriental Studies in Bamberg, the Oriental Institute in Chicago, the Oriental Fine Arts Academy of London, and the School of Oriental and African Studies [also in London] now deemed to be "racist" institutions?
                  Be careful, you are starting to sound like us conservatives.

Comment

• M
                    Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Be careful, you are starting to sound like us conservatives.
                    My comment was intended ironically.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

M
                      My comment was intended ironically.
                      So you actually think that those institutions ARE racist then?

Comment

• Senator Johnson describing the investigation and redacted material...

Last edited by seanD; 08-05-2021, 05:15 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                          Senator Johnson describing the investigation and redacted material...

A) Excellent job!
                          2) Wow
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I am reminded of the comment made by Margaret Cho "I think what it is, is that white people like to tell Asians how to feel about race because they're too scared to tell black people. It’s easier, we have less melanin, we’re probably not going to protest, there’s no hashtag #koreanlivesmatter."
                            Interestingly I was catching up on the final season of Marvel's Agents of SHIELD, where they had time traveled back into the '50s and kidnapped a bureaucrat to get some information. Turns out the bureaucrat is ex-military intelligence and thinks that the Commies have abducted him and is none too friendly.

Given that the ones who were conducting the interrogation were all minorities (Hispanic, Black and Asian), he threw out a few slurs as well. Later, the female agent is seen storming off and one of the others said they had to pull her off him because he called her ... oriental.

I should add that the episode definitely promoted physical assaulting anyone you deem to be a racist. Mac, who is black and the current director of SHIELD, got upset when the bureaucrat sneered at the Mexican woman about how "her boy" kept her in check. Mac snarls did you call me a boy?

Later when he escapes Mac runs into him and punches him in the face knocking him out and makes the point that he didn't have to hit him, but he hit him because he wanted to.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Interestingly I was catching up on the final season of Marvel's Agents of SHIELD, where they had time traveled back into the '50s and kidnapped a bureaucrat to get some information. Turns out the bureaucrat is ex-military intelligence and thinks that the Commies have abducted him and is none too friendly.

Given that the ones who were conducting the interrogation were all minorities (Hispanic, Black and Asian), he threw out a few slurs as well. Later, the female agent is seen storming off and one of the others said they had to pull her off him because he called her ... oriental.

I should add that the episode definitely promoted physical assaulting anyone you deem to be a racist. Mac, who is black and the current director of SHIELD, got upset when the bureaucrat sneered at the Mexican woman about how "her boy" kept her in check. Mac snarls did you call me a boy?

Later when he escapes Mac runs into him and punches him in the face knocking him out and makes the point that he didn't have to hit him, but he hit him because he wanted to.
                              Another senior moment?
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I don't think it's a coincidence that liberals/democrats had a large debate about whether it was ok to "punch a nazi" only to then end up labeling their political opposition nazi/fascists.

Comment