Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Lab Leak: The conspiracy theory is shaping up to look like real possibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Source: https://nypost.com/2021/08/12/covid-19-lab-leak-theory-probable-hypothesis-who-scientist/

COVID-19 lab leak theory a ‘probable hypothesis,’ WHO scientist says in stunning reversal

The first person infected with COVID-19 could have caught the virus from a bat while working at the controversial Wuhan virology lab — but Chinese officials pressured the World Health Organization to drop the theory during a probe into the pandemic’s origins, according to an astonishing admission from a WHO scientist.

In the stunning reversal, Dr. Peter Ben Embarek, who initially dismissed the lab leak theory as “extremely unlikely,” said he now considers the possibility a “probable hypothesis,” according to the Washington Post, which cites a documentary airing on Danish television channel TV2.

“An employee who was infected in the field by taking samples falls under one of the probable hypotheses,” Ben Embarek told the interviewers.

“This is where the virus jumps directly from a bat to a human. In that case, it would then be a laboratory worker instead of a random villager or other person who has regular contact with bats,” he explained.
    “In the beginning, they didn’t want anything about the lab [in the report], because it was impossible, so there was no need to waste time on that,” said Ben Embarek, a food safety and animal diseases expert.

“We insisted on including it, because it was part of the whole issue about where the virus originated.”

The scientist admitted his team was denied access to books or documents “directly from the laboratory.”

“We got a presentation, and then we talked about and asked the questions we wanted to ask, but we did not get to look at any documentation at all,” he said.
    “It was right up to the end that it was discussed whether it should be included or not.”

He chalked up the less-than-transparent — and potentially deceptive — attitudes of Chinese scientists and officials to a possible effort to save face.

“It’s probably because it means that there is a human error behind such an incident, and they are not very happy to admit it,” he confessed.

“There is partly the traditional Asian feeling that you should not lose face, and then the whole system also focuses a lot on the fact that you are infallible and that everything must be perfect,” he continued.
    “It could also be that someone wants to hide something. Who knows?”

The Wuhan Institute of Virology specialized in studying bat-based coronaviruses similar to the virus that causes COVID-19 — and was found to be holding the virus’ closest genetic cousin, according to the report.

The lab is located roughly 160 feet from the seafood market where an outbreak first emerged in late 2019.

© Copyright Original Source

During the WHO team’s investigation, scientists were given curated data and evidence accrued by Chinese officials, Ben Embarek said.
    It's curious that no reason is given for why he changed his mind. All the evidence listed was available when he "initially dismissed the lab leak theory as extremely unlikely."

Maybe he just had a sudden flash of insight.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post

It's curious that no reason is given for why he changed his mind. All the evidence listed was available when he "initially dismissed the lab leak theory as extremely unlikely."

I think that's called a conscience. These are corrupt authoritarian ghouls, but they still are somewhat human.

Comment

Or finally felt it was no longer something he could be cancelled over now that it's pretty well accepted as reality instead of condemned as a covid-denier racist conspiracy theory like it was for a good year by the media.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
          Or finally felt it was no longer something he could be cancelled over now that it's pretty well accepted as reality instead of condemned as a covid-denier racist conspiracy theory like it was for a good year by the media.
          If that was his reason for not saying so earlier, you'd think he could say so.

Comment

Or maybe now that Trump is safely out of office it is safe to agree with something he said.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Or maybe now that Trump is safely out of office it is safe to agree with something he said.
              I think this was the case on the lower levels of the science establishment (after all, we do have scientist minions admitting politics influenced their research and decisions), but on the upper echelon of the scientific food chain (particularly where the money is) there was a different reason. When you look at the collusion of Peter Daszak, Fauci, scientific journals, MSM, the Chinese, et al., it's clear their cover-up actions were driven by more than just politics.

Comment

Probably the guilt finally got to him and he had a flash of conscience.

Comment

• And yet more documents come out showing Fauci was lying straight out of his rectal orifice when he claimed the US did not fund the Wuhan gain of function research on coronaviruses.

https://theintercept.com/2021/09/06/...t-chinese-lab/

https://news.yahoo.com/internal-docu...142902303.html

https://twitter.com/R_H_Ebright/stat...nts-fauci-lied

I believe that makes Rand Paul 6 (or more, I've lost count), Fauci 0

Comment

And yet more documents come out showing Fauci was lying straight out of his rectal orifice when he claimed the US did not fund the Wuhan gain of function research on coronaviruses.

It's sad that Rand is the only Rep holding that criminal fraud's feet to the fire.

Comment

And yet more documents come out showing Fauci was lying straight out of his rectal orifice when he claimed the US did not fund the Wuhan gain of function research on coronaviruses.

I didn't see anything in your links that will help settle the argument over just what constitutes gain-of-function research.

Comment

I didn't see anything in your links that will help settle the argument over just what constitutes gain-of-function research.
                        I'm sure you don't. Can't bear to see anything that paints your deity Fauci in a bad light. Crazy Branch Covidians and your cultish religion.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post

It's sad that Rand is the only Rep holding that criminal fraud's feet to the fire.
                          He appears to be one of the few that doesn't care that he's not part of the "in crowd".
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm sure you don't.
                            I see you don't, either.

Comment

I see you don't, either.
                              Okay Branch Covidian, Whatever you say.

Comment

Either you didn't read the articles, or you simply ignored what you didn't want to see. The very first link explicitly describes gain of function research.

According to Richard Ebright, a molecular biologist at Rutgers University, the documents contain critical information about the research done in Wuhan, including about the creation of novel viruses. “The viruses they constructed were tested for their ability to infect mice that were engineered to display human type receptors on their cell,” Ebright wrote to The Intercept after reviewing the documents.

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment